Anyone using Tradestation ?

Ankit/Aman
Do you really need a third party software? I was wondering whether you can simply import the data into an asci file and place it in a folder in C. Then you can call it on Tradestation format symbol look up..........

If you are charting the quarterly and yearly charts, then TS wont give you that capability for longer term charts....

The only thing I'm wondering is, if you can get live intraday data, how can you get it to auto update on your pc.....it must be an easy thing to do with a bit of a software background.....let me know if we can chat..
Regards
Shreenath

Never mind, I read Xyte's answer below

Hi Aman

How did you get nf data in TS? I have spent entire night searching all around for the solution.Finally got few bars in ts still have not found the proper method.
If you are using TS version 8.1 then I can help you out to get intra data. All you need is third party software called Owndata which i do have but the version I have is only compatible with TS 8.1.

Ankit

Last edited:
Hello Xyte,
Does Owndata by TSSupport cost extra?
Thanks
Shreenath

NOte: I didnt read your post earlier on this thread but thank you for this valuable information

@Aman1

This method works only for EOD data. In case you need Intraday Stocks or Futures Data to be inputted into tradestation you will need to use OwnData by TSSupport which supports other DataFeeds like ASCII , GLOBALSERVER, METASTOCK, ESIGNAL etc.

Here is a screen shot of Nifty Futures inputted in TS.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
xy

Intraday Nifty In Tradestation

Hello everyone
I was able to use the third party data feature in TS 8.6 and get it to work for NIfty intraday data. I've two questions.

1. I have intraday data separated into different files starting Feb 2007. Someone here in Traderjee was kind enough to give me the link a week ago. Is there anyway to append those past files instead of manually pasting them and spending too much time. There must be at least one Excel Wiz here who could do this quickly.

2. I put the excel csv file for auto refresh. Does this mean data will refresh once I'm online and refresh Nifty chart in TS after opening it? If not, how do I get to autoupdate intraday data(be it delayed or realtime doesnt matter for now).

Waiting for suggestions and advice here...........
Thank you in advance
Shreenath

Hello RPC,
Create a directory in C drive and give it any name you like; I call it Nifty Data.

Get your data in asci format or convert it to asci format if it's not in that format.

Save the asci data in the newly created directory above.

Open tradestation....format > symbol > click 'look up' box next to where you type symbol; look at the far end of the pop up window and select third party data. Click and follow the directions exactly as in the TS online manual; you shouldn't have any problems with that.

I'm not sure whether this will work on a live screen...........as long as live data is constantly being saved in your directly it should......I feel refresh data in TS might just do that; I have not really gone ahead and done much once I got TS to chart Nifty for about 2 days worth of intraday data since Ive got so many things going on.

I've to append the past two years data first and then go from there to live data. I probably won't get to it for at least another week since I will be out of town again late this week through early next week.

Let me know how it goes.
regards
Shreenath

rpc

Hi Sreenath
Thanks for the explanation.I am using TS with EOD data(MS format).I have a few programs/add-ons for TS which I would like to test on RT data.I have owndata 2.5 and 2.7(not yet tested).I believe we can get NSE RT using owndata in TS.However i could not get that done using owndata 2.5.Are you aware how can this be done ?If so pls explain.
I will wait for your reply when you come after a week
happy journey
with best wishes

Hi its not possible to get rt data into TS.(sorry)
The main purpose of TS is to test various strategies.Once u test u can use the same in any software.

Raja,
I don't agree with you what you're saying about the purpose of TS. If TS's main purpose was to let people just test strategies, they wouldnt be in business. Their software was written after they came up with system writer > easy language......to actually use the charting capability to make trading decisions. But then they got greedy and ended up becoming a broker......thats another story for another day.

RPC,
Using EOD data and charting is a breeze. All you do it make sure data is in the directory in asci. I know people already use third party data for real time charting for other exchange data. This technically allows traders to use a different data source than the ones TS provides maybe to save money. Say you can use Hypertrader or anything else than say pay a lot for esignal.

For real time intraday, it can be done. It's a matter of making sure that the data that you get in from NSE or wherever has to update that file in the directory you created. TS technical folks mentioned, refresh feature will let me do it but I shouldnt have to even do that in that data should automatically be picked up from the stream.......
Regards
shreenath
Hi its not possible to get rt data into TS.(sorry)
The main purpose of TS is to test various strategies.Once u test u can use the same in any software.

Hello there,
I'm not really familiar with any Indian data providers or their format since I have never traded Indian markets,......at least not yet.

They key to get a third party data to work with TS is using it as an asci file unless they start offering Indian exchange data for a fee. This could happen if enough of us can go to them and keep hammering them about the necessity. I keep doing it at least once every 6 months but so far no results. Heck there're smaller exchanges that are listed in TS but I''m really surprised that they don't have NSE. Maybe because they don't get enough customers from India.

Regards
Sreenath

Hi Sreenath
Thanks for the explanation.I am using TS with EOD data(MS format).I have a few programs/add-ons for TS which I would like to test on RT data.I have owndata 2.5 and 2.7(not yet tested).I believe we can get NSE RT using owndata in TS.However i could not get that done using owndata 2.5.Are you aware how can this be done ?If so pls explain.
I will wait for your reply when you come after a week
happy journey
with best wishes

D

darkstar

Hey guys ,..
Currently i m using Metastock 8 but i m in search of Tradestation 4 or 5 .
I know some latest versions are available in the market but they r too costly for me as i m not an analysist.
So if anyone is having Tradestation then plz talk to me ,..
Reply ..
Darsh
i am not analysis but want to be learn so i want want metastock it is to costly how i get it easy and cheap pls support me i know some one who use metastock pro 9 sftware he dont use orignal ya a software engineer provide him at 3000 rs monthly with equis data that programer provide it in so cheap way but that person is now shift his home now i dont know where it is . otherwise i contact them for software eng if it had provide metastock then they also provide tradestation 6.
thanks