Do NRIs require a PAN Card?

Provisions of a section superceeds a rule framed under a section. That means a rule can not be framed that contravenes the provisions of a section of IT Act since this act has been passed by parliament.

This used to be the basic principal of government functioning a few years ago. Any rule framed that violates the provisions of a section is ultra-virus. Why is it not so in this case?
The basic princple of legislation that any rule can't go against/beyond a rule is still valid.

The Income Tax Act itself does not say that NRI's are not required to obtain and quote PAN. The said section does say that the Board can specify persons on whom the provision related to PAN would not apply.
The board has specified such person under section 114C which inter alia include a person who is not resident. However, it does not exempt the representative assessees from the application of provisions related to PAN No.

Best Regards,
--Ashish

Is it better for NRIs to apply for PAN Card from abroad or in India?

Hi, I am currently visiting Kolkata and will be here for next 20 days. Any ideas about how I can apply and get a PAN card. Or is it easier to apply from abroad?
Thanks for your advice.
Samit

Re: I am staying in Moscow and want to get Pan card

I am staying in Moscow and I want to get PAN CARD of India and also want to open a demat a/c how can I get both the thing done

Thank You

Regards

Harsukh

you need a PAN card (NRI) when you want to apply for IPO's in Non-Institutional Categories. Otherwise you can apply under Retail.

Also, any profits are TDS, so there is no need to futher show or pay TDS i believe.

just check google, on PAN card, you'll get the details...

Also find attached file of PAN Card form.

Satya
Hi, I am UK citizen with OCI, and would like to find out how do I go about in applying online. When I tried to fill online form, firstly, not getting correct title obtion to select, i.e. Mr, not sure which AOL to select, where to look for demand draft number on the draft itself, and as I understand from the guidelines that individual application do not need representative assessee details, but it keep coming back asking for the details! Please help

Rashmishah

rajputz

The following information about pan card for NRIS might be helpful for you...i got this in a blog site.

Why NRI need PAN?
Do you wish to invest in the third largest Asian market? Are you planning to have any kind of financial transaction in an economy whose GDP is close to 9%? If yes, then you need a Permanent Account Number (PAN) as per the new rules of both the Income Tax (I-T) Department and the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI). You may be a Resident Indian, a RNOR, or a non-resident (NRI, PIO or OCI), but to have any fiscal operation in India, especially if you plan to invest in the Indian Share Market, you need to get a PAN.

Nowadays, a typical PAN Card would look like a laminated ID card having your personal details and your unique ten digit alphanumeric code. While it takes a minimum of twenty and a maximum of thirty days for the authorities to issue you your PAN, you can get a TATKAL PAN by applying for the same online and paying for the same through a nominated credit card, again online. Please note that applications (online or offline) can be made ONLY on Form 49A, and irrespective of any change in your personal details, your PAN remains the same. Remember its a permanent number.

Having more than one PAN is an offence. Similarly, not having a PAN and still carrying out monetary/business deals is also an offence and you are accountable to pay Rs.10000 as fine.

Our clients often have a doubt: Do I need to pay tax since I have a PAN? No. Just because you have a PAN you need not pay tax, the contrary being true. In India, only only those whose income is generated from/within Indian Territory pay tax. Nonetheless, you can pay tax as it shows your credibility to the Government.

So all you have to do is fill up Form 49A, either online or offline (you may get hold of a broker in case you decide to go in for the latter), pay the fees, and voila! You get your PAN and are ready for any financial transaction. So go ahead and make money!
Posted by Aditya at 11:59 PM 5 comments Links to this post
Labels: Apply for PAN Card online, Download PAN Form, Indian PAN, NRI PAN Card, PAN assistance brokers, PAN Card, PAN Card Application, PAN Card for NRIs

What is the easiest way for a NRI to get a PAN?
The easiest way to get a Indian PAN (permanent assessment number) is to apply for the same online and make the payment through a nominated credit card. You will get a TATKAL PAN.

What is the procedure to be adopted by a non-resident to acquire PAN Card?
By order of the Income Tax Department, anyone and everyone who engages in any form of financial transaction must have a Permanent Account Number (PAN). Non-residents too require PAN if they wish to engage in any financial activity. Applications for PAN can be made only in Form 49A, but this form is now available everywhere including the Internet (http://www.nripan.com/nri-pan-application.html or http://nriinvestindia.com/nri-apply-pan-card-online.html). While submitting downloaded forms, one needs to pay Rs.5/- in cash to the I-T Office. This facility implies that non-residents can apply for PAN while residing outside India. However, if non-residents are in India and want to get PAN while their stay here, all they have to do is visit any UTIISL or NSDL centre and get a form from there. Form 49A is now also available with your local printer, and applications can also be made in the photocopy of Form 49A.

While submitting Form 49A, the following documents need to be submitted:

Individual applicants will have to affix one recent stamp size (3.5 cm x 2.5 cm) photograph on the form
Any one document listed in Rule 114 must be submitted as proof of identity and address
Designation and Code of the concerned Assessing Officer of the Income Tax Department will have to be mentioned in the form

Can non-residents apply for a PAN Card online?

Non-residents (Non-resident Indians, Persons of Indian Origin, Overseas Citizen of India) CAN apply for a PAN Card online. While its true that the application can only be made in Form 49A, one need not go to the IT office for the same. You can apply for a PAN Card from any part of the world. All you need is a computer with an Internet connection!

Form 49A can be downloaded from the I-T Departments official website or from any of the links provided:

http://www.nripan.com/nri-pan-application.html
or
http://nriinvestindia.com/nri-apply-pan-card-online.html

You can also get a TATKAL PAN if the application for the same is made through the Internet and the payment for the same is made through a nominated credit card.

For more details visit: www.nriinvestindia.com

What is the procedure for a non-resident to get PAN Cards?
We often get queries regarding the procedure for getting a PAN Card made. At the outset, we have to know that applications for PAN Card can be made only in Form 49A as provided by the Income Tax (I-T) Department. But this does not imply that one needs to go to the I-T Department to get the form. These forms can be downloaded from the Internet also. The links for downloading Form 49A are provided below:

http://www.nripan.com/nri-pan-application.html
or
http://nriinvestindia.com/nri-apply-pan-card-online.html

While submitting these downloaded forms, you will have to pay Rs.5/- in cash to the I-T office.

You can also get Form 49A from UTIISL or NSDL. All cities and towns, all over India, are now enriched with at least one IT PAN Service Centre. Such centres have been set up and are managed by UTIISL by order of the I-T Department. The I-T Department has also authorised National Securities Depository Ltd. (NSDL) to dispense PAN Services from Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) Facilitation Centres.

How can a non-resident get a PAN Card from abroad?
Non-residents (be it Non-Resident Indians, Persons of Indian Origin, or Overseas Citizen of India) often ask the question: Can we get a PAN Card sitting here (read outside India) or can it be made only by coming to India?

Well, heres the good news for all of you. You can get a PAN Card without coming over! All you need to do is get in touch with a private broker who will guide and assist you in not only filling up the form but will also submit it to the respective office as your representative in India.

The tax free limit for NRI for all categories is Rs. 160000/-. If you have any investnments in India , the income from which is subject to TDS, from 1.4.2010 PAN would be must. Otherwise highest rate of Tax would be deducted.

Has anyone (NRI, foreign citizen) used an online service to get a PAN card? I am a non-Indian passport and PIO holder, and a little fed up with getting documents attested by the Indian High Commission in order to apply for a PAN card. Internet services for NRI applicants offer a way out of this, but require that original utility bills are sent along with the application. As this may make one vulnerable to identity theft I wonder how advisable this is and whether anyone has any experience of this. Please note: I am referring exclusively to NRIs holding a non-Indian passport and a PIO. Thanks!