How to trade with an oscillator

Dear ST/Seniors,
please view my trade in gold. I shorted gold on -ve divergence and red bar breaking out of narrow range made by previous 7 candles.
TF = 5 min
1) was my entry correct?
2) if yes, then price did not go down, instead remained in range for more than 30 candles before hitting my sl(not shown in image). how long one should wait to close the trade, if price dont go as per our expectation?

Please reply.

Thanks

Dear ST/Seniors,
please view my trade in gold. I shorted gold on -ve divergence and red bar breaking out of narrow range made by previous 7 candles.
TF = 5 min
1) was my entry correct?
2) if yes, then price did not go down, instead remained in range for more than 30 candles before hitting my sl(not shown in image). how long one should wait to close the trade, if price dont go as per our expectation?

Please reply.

Thanks

The chart is showing that the Gold is in uptrend on the timeframe shown. The short trades will not work. If you go short against the trend, you have to book small profits quickly and not expect a strong downmove.The prices will come down only as corrections but will again go up......use the oscillator to trade from long side, meaning go long on buy signals or positive divergence and liquidate the positions when the market goes in over bought zone or give negative divergence.

Trading both sides will work only in sideways trends. Trends is the main guiding force for all our trade decisions.

Smart_trade

The chart is showing that the Gold is in uptrend on the timeframe shown. The short trades will not work. If you go short against the trend, you have to book small profits quickly and not expect a strong downmove.The prices will come down only as corrections but will again go up......use the oscillator to trade from long side, meaning go long on buy signals or positive divergence and liquidate the positions when the market goes in over bought zone or give negative divergence.

Trading both sides will work only in sideways trends. Trends is the main guiding force for all our trade decisions.

Smart_trade
thanks for reply. also please answer my 2nd query in general. if trade does not go as per our expectation should sl close our trade or for how many bars of that TF should one wait?

thanks for reply. also please answer my 2nd query in general. if trade does not go as per our expectation should sl close our trade or for how many bars of that TF should one wait?
If the market does not go in the direction of out trade, that means it does not want to go in that direction. The line of least resistance is up and not down. I will wait for maximum 5-6 bars and if the market does not breakdown in those 5-6 bars, it will alert us that the market is consolidating and getting ready to reverse and travel in the opposite direction. So will get into "look for profit booking" mode.

Once we know that market is refusing to go down, the trend is up, we will look for an opportunity to go long. Though the chart is not showing that, but I am sure it would give a positive divergence before taking off.

In such circumstances never wait for your stops to get hit....market is giving you signals to book small profits from your short trade....

What the market is doing and what it is not doing is much more important than any indicator.......

The above are general observations....but we understand what market is saying ( it has its own language though ) , it will put us much ahead in the game than the traders who just follow the signals.....

Smart_trade

Dear ST,
there are two buy entry shown in below chart. TF = 5 min
(1) please tell they are correct. And I understand that one should be in market all the time with orders but still i fill i may have missed few trade in below chart.
(2) If yes, please mark it as you would have traded.
==15 min and 30 min TF were showing sideways trend during that time.

Please pardon if asking too many questions. I just want to clear my doubts.

Dear ST,
there are two buy entry shown in below chart. TF = 5 min
(1) please tell they are correct. And I understand that one should be in market all the time with orders but still i fill i may have missed few trade in below chart.
(2) If yes, please mark it as you would have traded.
==15 min and 30 min TF were showing sideways trend during that time.

Please pardon if asking too many questions. I just want to clear my doubts.
There are few good trades on the chart. It will require my marking with paintbrush and explaining the reasons for the trades. Will do in the long weekend.

Smart_trade