Important factor in fundamental analysis for finance or banks stocks.

Placebo

Hi Rocky. I'm going to try to simplify one of the most difficult and intriguing things in corporate finance. I'm pasting a file in which i have some stuff from the net/books and the rest what i had learned in MBA

1.Economic Analysis

2.Industry Analysis :
(a) Customers (companies will always disclose in their 10-K if any one customer accounts for a majority of revenues)
(b)Market Share among firms (Market share is important because of economies of scale. When the firm is bigger than the rest of its rivals, it is in a better position to absorb the high fixed costs of a capital-intensive industry)
(c)Growth : Increase in customers
(d)Competition : Porter's Five and Price Analysis
(e)Regulation : Risk and Return
(f )Business Cycle : 4 phases

3.Business Model of the Company (10k report) and (10q report

4.Drivers for Future Growth of a Company

5.Competitive Advantage (Porter's Views)
sustainable competitive advantage gained by:
A unique competitive position
Clear tradeoffs and choices vis--vis competitors
Activities tailored to the company's strategy
A high degree of fit across activities (it is the activity system, not the parts, that ensure sustainability)
A high degree of operational effectiveness

6.Management Analysis
Management Discussion and Analysis (MDA) :
(a) How candid and accurate are management's comments?
(b) Does management discuss significant financial trends over the past couple years? (As we've already mentioned, it can be interesting to compare the MD&As over the last few years to see how the message has changed and whether management actually followed through with its plan.)
(c)How clear are management's comments? If executives try to confuse you with big words and jargon, perhaps they have something to hide.
(d)Do they mention potential risks or uncertainties moving forward?

Past Performance
Insider Sales -- A situation where the majority of the wealth of the management is in stocks and if they are liquidating their position in the market , although the media potrays a different story

7.Corporate Governance
Stakeholders and Shareholders

8.Auditor's Report

9.Notes to Accounts

10. Income Statement Analysis

11.Balance Sheet Analysis

THE MOST ESSENTIAL THINGS : MODELS/METHODS TO UNDERSTAND THE ENTERPRISE VALUE OF A COMPANY

12.FCF

13.DCF , Multiples , Proxy or EVA

14.Dividend Models and Self-Sustainable Growth Model (basically means how much can a company grow using its retained earnings)

15.Conclusion

Cheers

Last edited:
I see all of you arguing about important factors for banks, but let me disappoint you with a statement:

No matter what fundamental model -FCFF,FCFE or gordon's dividend- they are all similar. Consider same coffee in diffferent cups.

Now as far as relative valuation is concerned, I will again disappoing you that all multiples are same and actually in turn they are derived from fundamental models I mentioned above.

But generally each sector/industry is associated with its most prefered multiple for various reasons and for bank/finance it happens to be Price/Book value. And if you know each multiple is associated with a companion varaible, for example:

P/BV - ROE
P/E - growth
P/Sales - Net margin
EV/EBIT - Operating margin

Now because finance analysts use P/BV for comparison so they uses ROE as the comparison mechanism for identifying good picks. But this is not so black and white, at times other control variables may need to be considered.

So if you are using relative valuation, the norm is to go with P/BV

For fundamental valuation, one should use gordon's dividend growth model as banks are expected to pass on most of their FCFE to investors, so dividend is a good substitute of future cash flows.

I am planning an article on going over all relative multiples, let me know if you guys will be interested.

I think I did have another post that goes into P/E...

So bank/manufacturing/retail all have to be valuated using similar models, albeit with some nuances.

rocky01

Thank u geniuses inangia and fundamentalvalue for great knowledge,i will be waiting for your valuable upcoming post for banking and financial stocks true valuations....keep it up guys...:thumb: :clapping: :thumb:

rocky01

hi,we all are waiting for your post which you told to post it..kindly post it as soon as possible which includes valuations of all type of co's inculding banks and finance co'c.

Hi Rocky. I'm going to try to simplify one of the most difficult and intriguing things in corporate finance. I'm pasting a file in which i have some stuff from the net/books and the rest what i had learned in MBA

1.Economic Analysis

2.Industry Analysis :
(a) Customers (companies will always disclose in their 10-K if any one customer accounts for a majority of revenues)
(b)Market Share among firms (Market share is important because of economies of scale. When the firm is bigger than the rest of its rivals, it is in a better position to absorb the high fixed costs of a capital-intensive industry)
(c)Growth : Increase in customers
(d)Competition : Porter's Five and Price Analysis
(e)Regulation : Risk and Return
(f )Business Cycle : 4 phases

3.Business Model of the Company (10k report) and (10q report

4.Drivers for Future Growth of a Company

5.Competitive Advantage (Porter's Views)
sustainable competitive advantage gained by:
A unique competitive position
Clear tradeoffs and choices vis--vis competitors
Activities tailored to the company's strategy
A high degree of fit across activities (it is the activity system, not the parts, that ensure sustainability)
A high degree of operational effectiveness

6.Management Analysis
Management Discussion and Analysis (MDA) :
(a) How candid and accurate are management's comments?
(b) Does management discuss significant financial trends over the past couple years? (As we've already mentioned, it can be interesting to compare the MD&As over the last few years to see how the message has changed and whether management actually followed through with its plan.)
(c)How clear are management's comments? If executives try to confuse you with big words and jargon, perhaps they have something to hide.
(d)Do they mention potential risks or uncertainties moving forward?

Past Performance
Insider Sales -- A situation where the majority of the wealth of the management is in stocks and if they are liquidating their position in the market , although the media potrays a different story

7.Corporate Governance
Stakeholders and Shareholders

8.Auditor's Report

9.Notes to Accounts

10. Income Statement Analysis

11.Balance Sheet Analysis

THE MOST ESSENTIAL THINGS : MODELS/METHODS TO UNDERSTAND THE ENTERPRISE VALUE OF A COMPANY

12.FCF

13.DCF , Multiples , Proxy or EVA

14.Dividend Models and Self-Sustainable Growth Model (basically means how much can a company grow using its retained earnings)

15.Conclusion

Cheers
plz send this report to me i needed it for making my project , so kindly send it to me