Is trading a gambling?

Vector

And then when you become rich, you learn it took work and dedication. You find out quick there was no gamble. Come join the rich, and you will know there was no gamble.

Now, let me ask you. What evil is there in being rich?
None at all.:) and nothing wrong in trading /gambling / speculating. Call it what u like. Beats me why a majority take objection to the G word.:rofl: I am an -----------er too, fill in what u like.

Vector

Another one .

There is no moral difference between gambling at cards or in lotteries or on the race track and gambling in the stock market. ~Theodore Roosevelt, Message to Congress, 1908.

Cheers...

4xpipcounter

I'm beginning to understand why your name is vector.

I don't know of one person in this thread that is objected to the "G word". Oh yeah, that "G word" is gambling. It's okay to say that word. It's not a cuss word. It is what this thread is all about.

You see, it's not hard. I make my living trading. I have a trade up where I sold NZD in order to buy AUD. As soon as the markets get rolling, I will also make another trade, and it will be to sell NZD in order to buy EUR. In a few days I will buy back all those NZD that I sold with the Euros and Aud's, and it will be a very nice pay day. Do you get it? I'm "trading" one currency for another.

Let me make another point with no disrespect to anyone. Excellent traders, and the professionals of our industry, never call it gambling. Why? It's not hard! They are traders. It is their profession. There are other people who gamble for a living. That is their line of expertise. They are good at what they do. Traders who make a living at this have their line of expertise, and they are good at what they do. One of the reasons I enjoy trading over gambling is because I would rather sit and study charts for a living, than play cards or roll dice for a living. In addition, I would rather play cards, than work cards. We just had a few excellent rounds of Skip-bo just the other day. I have a baseball game I invented with dice, and so we play with the dice my baseball game. Now, it is possible to bet, which is GAMBLING (See? I don't object to that term, as you asserted.), on our games, but we don't, as a matter of personal preference.
So, in my baseball game it is possible to gamble on it. It is also possible to trade in it. We can trade one ballplayer for the other. We also trade entire teams. I will have one team one game and my son the other, and then the next game he will have my team, and I will have his. We traded one team for the other.

Hmmm, I wonder why it is that gambling is not allowed by employees in many of the brokerages, but they are reviewing charts constantly for trading setups. I know what I'm talking about here. When I was a manager, I was a guest in a broker house and went on tour of the place. It was part of my position. I saw first hand what goes on, the decisions that are made, and so much of the behind-the-scenes stuff. And then you want to put a spin on trading to convoke it to gambling? There is no relationship. There is a strict defining point between the 2.

BTW, if anyone has worked for a brokerage firm, maybe they can speak up. Really this whole gambling thing about trading has been twisted into nothing but a theory and makes for a talking point in a forum like this. Still, it all comes down to the fact this forum is open for traders. There are other forums open for gamblers, and for them to discuss how to win at Blackjack, dice, Poker, or how to bet on the odds of a certain horse winning the race, or how to win a bet on who is going to win the next match in Cricket.

Also, you never answered my first question. What evil is there in being rich? Please let me know what evil I have committed.

ector;529945]None at all.:) and nothing wrong in trading /gambling / speculating. Call it what u like. Beats me why a majority take objection to the G word.:rofl: I am an -----------er too, fill in what u like.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

4xpipcounter

TRA'DER, n. One engaged in trade or commerce; a dealer in buying and selling or barter; as a trader to the East Indies; a trader to Canada; a country trader.

GAM'BLER, n. One who games or plays for money or other stake. Gamblers often or usually become cheats and knaves.

I trade, and a deal in buying and selling.
I like to play games, but my preference is not to do it for money.

I will say that in many of the e-mails I get from distressed traders, they impress as gamblers, because of the decisions they make, and then they want to get back at the markets because they think the markets owe them something.

Vector

I'm beginning to understand why your name is vector.

I don't know of one person in this thread that is objected to the "G word". Oh yeah, that "G word" is gambling. It's okay to say that word. It's not a cuss word. It is what this thread is all about.

You see, it's not hard. I make my living trading. I have a trade up where I sold NZD in order to buy AUD. As soon as the markets get rolling, I will also make another trade, and it will be to sell NZD in order to buy EUR. In a few days I will buy back all those NZD that I sold with the Euros and Aud's, and it will be a very nice pay day. Do you get it? I'm "trading" one currency for another.

Let me make another point with no disrespect to anyone. Excellent traders, and the professionals of our industry, never call it gambling. Why? It's not hard! They are traders. It is their profession. There are other people who gamble for a living. That is their line of expertise. They are good at what they do. Traders who make a living at this have their line of expertise, and they are good at what they do. One of the reasons I enjoy trading over gambling is because I would rather sit and study charts for a living, than play cards or roll dice for a living. In addition, I would rather play cards, than work cards. We just had a few excellent rounds of Skip-bo just the other day. I have a baseball game I invented with dice, and so we play with the dice my baseball game. Now, it is possible to bet, which is GAMBLING (See? I don't object to that term, as you asserted.), on our games, but we don't, as a matter of personal preference.
So, in my baseball game it is possible to gamble on it. It is also possible to trade in it. We can trade one ballplayer for the other. We also trade entire teams. I will have one team one game and my son the other, and then the next game he will have my team, and I will have his. We traded one team for the other.

Hmmm, I wonder why it is that gambling is not allowed by employees in many of the brokerages, but they are reviewing charts constantly for trading setups. I know what I'm talking about here. When I was a manager, I was a guest in a broker house and went on tour of the place. It was part of my position. I saw first hand what goes on, the decisions that are made, and so much of the behind-the-scenes stuff. And then you want to put a spin on trading to convoke it to gambling? There is no relationship. There is a strict defining point between the 2.

BTW, if anyone has worked for a brokerage firm, maybe they can speak up. Really this whole gambling thing about trading has been twisted into nothing but a theory and makes for a talking point in a forum like this. Still, it all comes down to the fact this forum is open for traders. There are other forums open for gamblers, and for them to discuss how to win at Blackjack, dice, Poker, or how to bet on the odds of a certain horse winning the race, or how to win a bet on who is going to win the next match in Cricket.

Also, you never answered my first question. What evil is there in being rich? Please let me know what evil I have committed.

ector;529945]None at all.:) and nothing wrong in trading /gambling / speculating. Call it what u like. Beats me why a majority take objection to the G word.:rofl: I am an -----------er too, fill in what u like.
[/QUOTE]

I 've already said , nothing wrong in being rich . But all in its still a guessing game or u wouldn't, need a stoploss, or don't u.:D Call it whatever makes u happy. I've just put across my opinion. I really don't care a whit what others call me. :lol:

sudoku1

"The line between investing and speculation or gambling in financial markets is always a pretty gray one .....& speculation is always a motive.":)