Options - My way of looking at it

jamit_05

Thank you Pratap ji. Also, I am trying to judge the intraday trend of Nifty... Have observed that around 75% cases, we can estimate the movement by tracking NIfty upto 10 AM. But this is based only on last month's intraday charts, which I downloaded each day. Is there a site which can provide intraday charts for historical dates? What I could get was the candle sticks only, which doen't show the transient behaviour during daytime. If I can get this historical intraday charts, I'll document the success rate in tracking and share in this forum. Kindly suggest where these charts are available.
That is a great observations. Most trending days start in the first session... before 1 p.m.

Could email you the nifty_f1 1min data since 2008 as TJ has not facility to transfer files.

Hi Pratap,

Your thread has been vastly helpful. Thanks for taking this initiative. I've been tracking NIFTY OI for a long while now to predict it's movement along with PCR & other things.

I have a query regarding Pay off profiles when I SQUARE OFF my positions for Option writing. Can you please explain with numerical examples my Pay offs on Squaring off my positions in case I Sell Call / Sell puts. I have been confused to hell on this.

Thanks !

Best Regards,
Devesh Bhuwad

That is a great observations. Most trending days start in the first session... before 1 p.m.

Could email you the nifty_f1 1min data since 2008 as TJ has not facility to transfer files.
Hi Amit
I require NIFTY_F1 1 min data from 2008-2012
I have from Jan 2013 onwards

Can you please upload the same in any file sharing websites like 4 shared, dropbox, fileconvoy etc.

Thanks

pratapvb

Hi Pratap,

Your thread has been vastly helpful. Thanks for taking this initiative. I've been tracking NIFTY OI for a long while now to predict it's movement along with PCR & other things.

I have a query regarding Pay off profiles when I SQUARE OFF my positions for Option writing. Can you please explain with numerical examples my Pay offs on Squaring off my positions in case I Sell Call / Sell puts. I have been confused to hell on this.

Thanks !

Best Regards,
Devesh Bhuwad
you can sq off anytime you want and you pay the current mkt price to sq off your sell position.......so I don't understand what you mean by payoff

you can sq off anytime you want and you pay the current mkt price to sq off your sell position.......so I don't understand what you mean by payoff
Hi Pratap,

I actually wanted to know a profit and loss situation in terms of numbers. You have given a profit and loss situation on expiry earlier in the thread.

If you could just give an example wherein you square off all your sell positions in both a profit & loss state before expiry, would be really helpful.

Thanks,

Best Regards,
Devesh Bhuwad

pratapvb

Hi Pratap,

I actually wanted to know a profit and loss situation in terms of numbers. You have given a profit and loss situation on expiry earlier in the thread.

If you could just give an example wherein you square off all your sell positions in both a profit & loss state before expiry, would be really helpful.

Thanks,

Best Regards,
Devesh Bhuwad
I think you are asking for a pay-off chart on any day before expiry...this would not be possible as because then in addition to the underlying value the time left to expiry and VIX at that time will also play a role and so it will have created as a four dimentional chart even assuming all calculation could be done

cloudTrader

And if anyone was holding any kind of Futures or Options contracts on the last election results date, then please share the experience. Hopefully you were on the right side of the Upper Circuit.
About this thing of election impact in 2009, I remember about my own experience and my friend's experience.

I was long with equity shares of ICICI , M&M , Tata Motors , Tata Steel.
They really gave a shot in my capital after the UC. That time I was not a futures trader. Just an investor who was impressed by some good named shares.

My friend on the other hand was trading in Options but he never bothered too much to explain me about their handling. All I knew at that time was that he has taken Options Strangle in Nifty Options [OTM Calls & Puts] comprising of 5-6 lots each. I was not aware what will this trade bring to him. He just told me about the technical name of the position & taking this as jargon I just did not pay too much heed to this.

Then came the election result & the upper circuit day after the announcement of the result. Things were very different in stock market.

This friend of mine called me up after a day or two & then told me that on this position he has made in the vicinity of Rs. 1,00,000 .

So in equities I was able to make just around Rs. 10,000 with my delivery based investment & my friend was on leverage & made big amount thanks to the positive outcome of elections. Made me quite interested to learn about derivatives from then on.

This time however election result will be a live process on a trading day so things will certainly be different.

Regards.

Adding Something Which I forgot to write: @ Pratapvb , I really like to appreciate your effort wherein you have contributed lot of knowledge at traderji forum which is certainly acquired by you after spending lot of time . Great Sharings.

Last edited:

TradeOptions

About this thing of election impact in 2009, I remember about my own experience and my friend's experience.

I was long with equity shares of ICICI , M&M , Tata Motors , Tata Steel.
They really gave a shot in my capital after the UC. That time I was not a futures trader. Just an investor who was impressed by some good named shares.

My friend on the other hand was trading in Options but he never bothered too much to explain me about their handling. All I knew at that time was that he has taken Options Strangle in Nifty Options [OTM Calls & Puts] comprising of 5-6 lots each. I was not aware what will this trade bring to him. He just told me about the technical name of the position & taking this as jargon I just did not pay too much heed to this.

Then came the election result & the upper circuit day after the announcement of the result. Things were very different in stock market.

This friend of mine called me up after a day or two & then told me that on this position he has made in the vicinity of Rs. 1,00,000 .

So in equities I was able to make just around Rs. 10,000 with my delivery based investment & my friend was on leverage & made big amount thanks to the positive outcome of elections. Made me quite interested to learn about derivatives from then on.

This time however election result will be a live process on a trading day so things will certainly be different.

Regards.

Adding Something Which I forgot to write: @ Pratapvb , I really like to appreciate your effort wherein you have contributed lot of knowledge at traderji forum which is certainly acquired by you after spending lot of time . Great Sharings.
Yes it would be really interesting to see what happens on the 16 May Friday.

Although I think that this time there are less chances of any upper circuit, as we are already trading at the new life time highs, so much of the up-move seems to have been already priced in.

But if some shocking results come eg. Modi and NDA not gaining majority, then we can definitely expect a very sharp correction for sure.

Not being able to decide what kind of strategy to make in the options trade.

Btw, there is a separate thread dedicated to this topic itself - http://www.traderji.com/options/85922-play-during-election-results-day-4.html

I think you are asking for a pay-off chart on any day before expiry...this would not be possible as because then in addition to the underlying value the time left to expiry and VIX at that time will also play a role and so it will have created as a four dimentional chart even assuming all calculation could be done
If you take VIX out of consideration, the payoff chart can be made. In fact, I use such a payoff chart. For near term options, VIX plays a reduced role, so it can be useful to use these payoff charts. Moreover, you can change VIX values to simulate different scenarios.

Great thread by the way. You can also visit the following thread if you are technically oriented.

http://www.traderji.com/options/93634-non-directional-option-strategies-stocks-indexes.html