Paper Trading Nifty Straddles

heeemz

Update as of 24/03 ===

April Series Status : 300 - 260 = loss of 40
March Series Status (Hedged Positions) : 14.5 - 5.5 = Profit of 9
Net P&L = -31

As the strategy is to keep SL at 50%, we continue with positions. Lets see what happens.

Cheers,

Heems
Update as of 26/03 ===

April Series Status: 353 - 260 = loss of 93 points
March Series Status (Hedged Positions): 80 - 5.5 = Profit of 75 Closed this position as it was for March series, I dont see any great potential if we apply similar hedge in April series comments welcome
Net P&L = -18

As the strategy is to keep SL at 50%, we continue with positions. Lets see what happens.

Cheers,

Heems

As per managing positions I will go long in Nifty Futures if spot goes or closes above 3020 with a strict stop loss. Not going to book a loss in this one.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks and regards,
Sumeet
Did you go long on nifty

pasha

RR ratio of 1 means that the prediction must be right> 50% to make a profit. I have seen the best of people go wrong in picking direction/range, therefore prefer bare minimum RR of 1.5.

munde77, good to see you got out early. Keeping a 50% stop loss is fine in theory, but hard to accept a 50% loss in practice.
It is really pathectic and painful to see short straddles going into profit for some days and turning into loss and book 50% loss after watching and waiting for many days. Why cant we keep breakeven as stop loss as soon as our strategy turns into profit. Seniors advise

linkon7

this is the way i like to play it on monday

sell 2 lots of 3100 call april at 145
and
sell 2 lots of 3100 put april at 117

total premium collected = 262

our lower break even point is 2838
and
our upper break even point is 3362

strategy :
buy 2 lot of nifty futures above 3100 and keep it till nifty falls below 3100, where i intend to reverse my position. i.e. I hold on to 2 lots of nifty long above 3100 and 2 lots of nifty shorts below 3100.

whchiever direction nifty closes above or below 3100 till the expiry.... i get to keep the net premium collected.

total investment :
1,25,000 /- assuming 16% margin is charged the broker for holding nifty positions

target profit : 26,000 /-

time frame : till end of expiry of April series.

how it works :
on expiry above 3100, the profit i make by going long on nifty will be nullified by the loss i make on selling the 3100 call.
on expiry below 3100, the profit i make on going short on nifty will be nullified by the loss i make on selling the 3100 put.

Shortcomings of this strategy :
1. if the nifty becomes directionless at 3100 and continues to trade plus minus 20 or 30 points pivoting 3100.

then,
we just let the premium decay and watch out for a break down or break out.... above or below 3100.

2. if there is a massive gap down or gap up around 3100.

then we have to cut some amount of net targeted profit we intend to collect. and continue to hold nifty position in the desired direction.

3. worst case scenario : nifty gaps down or up 200 points from above 3100 to below 3100
then,
we order a pizza and curse the dilevery boy for our misfortunes. ::mad:

happy trading...
linkon7

ps : no plan is too good to be true.... there has to be a catch and i want to find out what the catch is by experience. I intend to trade this strategy and will post on how the strategy played out ....

I bought 3200 put @ 181 and it's naked ,I haven't hedged it against call

Looking at Nifty chart i don't think it will break 3200 also Nasdaq was down 40 points

But again This is Stock Market and When Bull rises those fags will buy like there is no tommorow.Am Scared a bit But Let Us C .........