Stocks for the long and short term portfolio

gmt900

Do include;

1) the levels of purchase.... that is most crucial. These are the levels where action will be required.

2) the reasons for purchase. We need to follow the company to see if these reasons change in any significant manner.

To make sure we are always diversified:

3) Sector
4) GOI/Private

Will add more as they come to mind.
Dear jamit, Victor and Mr G.
You guys are doing a great job. Looking forward to the excel sheet from Victory.
I was not keen on doing long term investments and had liquidated all my holdings to make cash available for trading.
However, after going through this thread, I have decided to go for SIP like investments for my grandson.
Thanks and regards

Mr.G

RIL is very volatile, why don't you choose a non-commodity company? Shall I give you an idea? When you go for shopping tomorrow for home supplies, look around the shop for items that are very unique and are a consumer favourite such as India King cigarettes. Find such companies as they will give good returns and dividends for years and years to come. Your idea is extremely good, this is the best gift you can give him.

jamit_05

What are your views reg RIL? Is it a good bet for long term? If yes, what would be appropriate levels?
One thing in guaranteed in RIL:

Because of the clout the word "Ambani" has in the corporate circles, RIL is bound to reach (and even surpass) its current all time high.

So, I would be comfortable buying it when Nifty reaches 4500 and RIL reaches 2008 lows. It would be "killer bargain". An ideal gift for posterity.

jamit_05

Coming down to the numbers:

1) RIL has shown profits ever since I remember

2) Is a low debt company and has a very comfortable ICR of over 10 times. Means it is all set to weather the worst storms which the country or the world may see!

3) Is in the energy sector, so numbers won't be volatile. I have checked on several occasions RIL always has maintained ROE > 10%, which is good enough for me.

Jitna bolo utna kam hai.... Dhirubhai zindabad!

Mr.G

Coming down to the numbers:

1) RIL has shown profits ever since I remember

2) Is a low debt company and has a very comfortable ICR of over 10 times. Means it is all set to weather the worst storms which the country or the world may see!

3) Is in the energy sector, so numbers won't be volatile. I have checked on several occasions RIL always has maintained ROE > 10%, which is good enough for me.

Jitna bolo utna kam hai.... Dhirubhai zindabad!
We have opposing views on RIL! :p

So, finally, in the Banking Sector we have three banks at good value

SBI (already bought at 1800, next level 950).

Hey Jamit ...SBI is goin to fall until 950!!.

If dats d case wat was d funda of buying @1800....

Last edited:

jamit_05

So, finally, in the Banking Sector we have three banks at good value

SBI (already bought at 1800, next level 950).

Hey Jamit ...SBI is goin to fall until 950!!.

If dats d case wat was d funda of buying @1800....
Great question... I am glad. Others too are encouraged to ask em.

I would not normally buy any stock when Nifty is only 15% off its all time highs.

One main reason for buying SBIN is that, It may or may not reach the ideal price of 950. Cannot depend on one single level to buy a big stock as SBIN.

So, buying at different levels of Nifty and individual stocks and different time periods while keeping in mind the Margin of Safety seems wise.

SBIN has fallen 50% from its all time high of 3515. This gives me a good Margin of Safety. I believe I have got a price lower than value.