Stocks for the long and short term portfolio

AFORASTRO

I hv learned to see Investment as a "Survivor's Game". Where, one has to invest in good companies and eliminate chances of Capital Loss. Instead of investing in just normal companies and trying his odds. The percentage of survivors is much high in the former approach.

With that said, there is nothing special about Tata Elxsi. It's EPS is consistently falling since the last 5 years, without any equity dilution. Yet it has scaled to its ATH. Why? No one can tell. Could one hv known before hand that this would happen? No! Such a technology does not exist.

Its Net Profit Margin (NPM) doubled from 5% to 10%. Hence, its EPS has also doubled y-to-y. This is all funny business to trap the investor. Sharp jumps are repulsive, consistent growth is what one seeks.
thanks sir:)

jamit_05

Lately, the headlines are blaring sales pitch for midcaps. Should one be affected?

Well, surely, if you are a swing trader or a momentum trader... but as a true value investor there is little opportunity for you to buy when the Index is near all time highs. In fact, these times may present an opportunity to get out of under-performers that are taking up portfolio-allocation; and stash that money into a one year debt fund.... yes, only one year... ;)

jamit_05

Propaganda is a huge detriment. All these new book releases, websites, ratios all over the web etc. It distracts the investor from the core, from what is real.

Investment as a concept is very simple. However, we all have a tendency to make simple things complicated. In fact, one has to make special effort to keep it simple.

There is no need to learn complicated ratios and read thick books. The more analysis you do the more you are giving into the fear or greed factor. (Think about it.)

So, let me re-iterate the simple path to investment:

1) Learn to spot good companies.
Your portfolio may not have the next Infosys, but it your selection criteria must be out of correct investment-education.

2) Hold on to them as long as 1) is true.

However, there is a catch. Simple is not really simple, till it is made simple. So learn the right things, you can spot them as they are simple. As soon as an article or a person start speaking complicated.... keep your distance. Good things in life are simple.

Propaganda is a huge detriment. All these new book releases, websites, ratios all over the web etc. It distracts the investor from the core, from what is real.

Investment as a concept is very simple. However, we all have a tendency to make simple things complicated. In fact, one has to make special effort to keep it simple.

There is no need to learn complicated ratios and read thick books. The more analysis you do the more you are giving into the fear or greed factor. (Think about it.)

So, let me re-iterate the simple path to investment:

1) Learn to spot good companies.
Your portfolio may not have the next Infosys, but it your selection criteria must be out of correct investment-education.

2) Hold on to them as long as 1) is true.

However, there is a catch. Simple is not really simple, till it is made simple. So learn the right things, you can spot them as they are simple. As soon as an article or a person start speaking complicated.... keep your distance. Good things in life are simple.

http://goo.gl/wPL4sd

What is warrant....i am holding that stocks......

jamit_05

Well Managed Companies.

I spent a couple of hours yesterday reflecting upon my selection of stocks to include in portfolio. I saw some commonalities.

1. Share prices have corrected, although Nifty has risen. Hence are likely to further sharply correct when Nifty corrects.

2. Their EPS is shrinking. Meaning these companies are facing down-cycle in their respective industries.

3. The management has been wise and have not put on any debt. Probably because they were anticipating the down-cycle.

4. PE are on the down and low. Except for Gruh finance which has shown a major breakout on the monthly chart! Great going.

5. Their leadership position in the sector has not been lost.

With the outlook being meek, I am asked, will there ever be a turnaround? Will you ever see IDFC, Cumming at all time highs? When will you exit?

Honestly, these are all pretty questions with no concrete answers. The fact is, one has to have faith in the management to keep the company intact by taking the right decisions till the upcycle comes. And when it does... I won't know what heights the stock can reach....

jamit_05

Hi amit,

your take on Exide industries.?
Honestly, I have been interested in Exide and Amaron both, but not completely.

My logic is that, India is a growing economy and in such an environment anything energy related is bound to "sell". Be in natural gas or secondary.

Exide is the leader, chased by Amara Raja, in this sector and is hence best positioned to capture any upcycle in the auto industry, which is closely connected to the cycles of the economy, which is believe is and will be down for about 5 years. In the meantime if Exide correct comfortably then it will be a candidate for purchase.

Opinion on the Management:

It has it has a good head on its shoulders. This is shown by the figure of Free Cash Flow. Even before calculating it I knew what to expect. It has posted a positive and a strong figure of Free cash Flow. It is not consistently growing, which is very tough keeping in mind the down cycle.

Management is wise to invest a portion of this Free Cash Flow into expansion and not rely on debt or Eq.Dil.

Moreover, the debt has been almost eliminated in the last three years. Whereas, its competitor Amara Raja has 1/3rd of its Sales revenue and a fairly decent debt (of 77 Cr) to service, which eats into the profits. But, exide has no such problem.

Opinion on numbers:

1) Although sales have almost doubled there has been no equity dilution in the last 5 years. This is a big plus. Most well positioned mid sized companies fall for the trap of Eq. Dil. and lose investor charm.

2) The business model is a stable one. Company has met its sales target and has a good grip on the finance. Inventory days and debtor days are stable.

3) A big plus: It has focused on reducing debt, bringing it down to almost zero in the last three years. Meaning, the management is its head on level shoulders. It has chosen not to take radical steps like foreign acquisitions and multiplying production capacity by taking on more debt. It wants to grow organically. This one single reason makes Exide outshine most others in the mid-cap section.

4) Its Net Profit margin is mediocre around 7%. Thanks, but no thanks, to Amaron.

All in all, I think Exide is a company with a good product and in the hands of a sensible management. Now, the question is of purchase price.

Currently, Exide's PE is 6. It has seen a PE of around 24 in better times. Meaning, Exide is out of investor charms. Not because of a scam, bad management, increasing debt days or liquidity issues (unlike other leaders like OCIL, Sintex) , but because of the cyclical nature of the industry. This makes Exide vulnerable to sharp down moves like the one it saw in the month of Jan '14

It is my belief that Mid-Caps fall hard, really hard. When they start to collapse the price sees no support it just goes crashing down. This is because the Equity is small and cannot absorb the selling momentum of FIIs. I will wait for such a crash. I see two good supports

1) Rs.100
2) Rs.40

Rs.100 was touched this Friday. But, I think it is too early to buy ANY mid-cap now. The worst is yet to come. Lets wait and watch. But, one will have to invest atleast 50% of his allocation when Nifty reaches lower levels.

PS: I wish Exide stopped giving dividends entirely for the next few years. Investors are already disenchated and it is pointless using precious FCF on luring them. Instead use that money on aggressively trying to oust Amaron and boost the Net profit margin to atleast 15%.

Last edited: