Stocks for the long and short term portfolio

jamit_05

Coal India

A very robust company, it is very likely to see all the downturns and emerge as a survivor. In such uncertain times, these are the kind of companies we want in our portfolios.

Pros:
1. Gives decent dividends
2. Div payout is nice
3. Has natural reserves. We all know how that card is played.
4. Debt free.

Now about the purchase price/band.

Price Data is available since Nov '10 hence is insufficient, else precise levels could be found. Buying the stock in an SIP manner at and near 52 W lows is best. SIP because we do not know how low it may go (yes, that tends to happen :)

jamit_05

BHEL is a good stock to buy. But, there is still so much weakness.

Nifty went from a low of 5744 to a high of 6114. That is a gain of 400 odd points, around 7%.

Whereas, BHEL went from 174 to 194. Around 11%. That is abysmal considering the high beta-value of this stock.

So I am estimating that when Nifty falls 5%, Bhel would get really active.

SIP levels for BHEL appear to be 150 and 120 (2006 low); 150 could be skipped, depending on the prevailing downward momentum at the time.

Einstein

Can anyone review 'eClerx Services' for me please? Is it good for investing for next 3-5 years??

Mr.G

I don't like tech stocks. They are not stable. The market for them is very fluid.

jamit_05

Opto Circuit took a major bashing on Friday.

Past Account Statements are attractive. But no real cash generated. Owners Money is poor.

Accountants can garnish the Statements, but how are they going to show real money without actually earning it.... there is no replacement for Real Money... FCF...

Company went on a major acquisition spree which has not come to fruition yet. FCF is negative. Investors are spooked. Inspite of a decent growth rate in the past company tanked.

Mr.G

Opto circuit was a ok cos by fundamental, management killed it.

Mr.G

Very true. I believe that stocks that don't pay dividends are ponzi schemes. What do you think?