• February 27th 2011

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • March 6th 2011

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • March 13th 2011

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Here's a question for those who want to answer ...

How would you relate Tortoise and Hare with Stock markets ?

:)

Tc
Equites are like tortoise....slow and steady,gives everybody time to get in and out.
Futures are like hare ...shows like this would give us huge profits in short time but most of the time does the exact opposite..:thumb:

Regards
Yamin

Tc
I would corelate the two with the style of investing ...

Tortoise with the long term safe investment type ... moving slowly ...but eventually reaching the goal ... slow but sure.

Hare representing the short term trading ... moving fast ... needs to rest... even lags behind at times .. makes up .. then rushes again ...

But , unlike the original story , does it really matter here who wins or who represents which of the above 2 ...when both are ultimately fulfilling their objective of reaching the destination- the ultimate goal - in their own way.

Warm Regards
Kg

SwingKing

Tc
Here's my answer,

The relation between Tortoise and Hare with stock market lies with the two most important aspects of trading; Position Sizing and Exits.

Its not about who wins. Its about what roles you adopt. In the end, this will determine your profitability.

Tortoise - Keep adding small positions on your way to the top. Move slowly and gradually but still make every % count more by building positions.

Hare - On signs of weakness, be prepared to become the 'Hare'. Take your profits and run before the market begins to beat you down.

If you manage to do this, this will be the first time when you will tell someone that in the race of Tortoise and Hare, in the end both Win. :)

Tc

veluri1967

Here's my answer,

The relation between Tortoise and Hare with stock market lie with the two most important aspects of trading; Position Sizing and Exits.

Tortoise - Keep adding small positions on your way to the top. Move slowly and gradually but still make every % count more by building positions.

Hare - On signs of weakness, be prepared to become the 'Hare'. Take your profits and run before the market begins to beat you down.

Tc
Since the thing has come up, I would like clarification on pyramidizing.

Styles of pyramidizing. 1) Diminishing 2) Equal 3) Increasing.

Diminishing - Initial 100, next 75, next 50, next 25 and like wise.
Equal - Initial 100, next 100, next 100 and like wise.
Increasing - Initial 100, next 125, next 150, next 175 and likewise

How and when to apply these styles? What are the risk and profit factors associated with them?

Raunak bhai.....my radar is..... you...as usual.

alroyraj

Raunak Cairn today had a major slide,the 20 Weekly MA (326.6) , 20 Daily MA (336.6) and the days close around 327.8 .Should I sell it to protect myself from further downside. Results are due on 28th. I took it at 295 levels.
maybe it is too late,not too sure on keeping stop losses on investments, probably 336 ought to have been the level.
This stock is all weakness it seems cannot distinguish where it starts or stops.

SwingKing

Raunak Cairn today had a major slide,the 20 Weekly MA (326.6) , 20 Daily MA (336.6) and the days close around 327.8 .Should I sell it to protect myself from further downside. Results are due on 28th. I took it at 295 levels.
maybe it is too late,not too sure on keeping stop losses on investments, probably 336 ought to have been the level.
This stock is all weakness it seems cannot distinguish where it starts or stops.
Alroyraj,

As per my understanding, you have got Cairn at 295 and today it's at 327 and you want to know what to do with it ... Am asking this because I could not spot major slide in the stock. Hence am confirming.

As far as Cairn remains above 315-320 on weekly basis, stick with it. I don't think result was the reason why you bought this stock. Hence, don't make result the reason to exit it. Keep a SL of 315 - 320 on weekly basis. Even if this gets triggered, you would still have made 9% return on the stock. Which by the way is good for counters like Cairn.

Regarding Stop losses in Investment - Always have one in place, in order to protect some profits and in order to conserve your capital.

Tc

SwingKing

Which Sizing Technique; Equal, Reducing or Increasing.

I don't want to get into the theory here, and hence lets work our way directly with Numbers. In each of the cases, we will want to Invest Rs. 500000 in a counter at every 10% positive move. The counter is of Rs 60 currently and we keep adding quantities till it appreciates by 40%, that is it moves from 60 to 84. On ever 10% rise in the price from 60, we will add positions on 60, 66, 72, 78 and 84. In the end, we will sell everything at 120, that is a 100% gain.

Reducing

Under this, the initial Bet size is the biggest and then we keep reducing in some proportion. In our case, in this sizing method, we invest 140000, 120000, 100000, 80000 and 60000 respectively at each level. The starting amount is 500000 and the ending amount is 873639. This gives us gain of 75%.

Equal Size

Under this, equal size is bet on every 10% move. That is, 100000 is invested at every step. The initial capital of 500000 grows to 845188. This gives a gain of 69%.

Increasing Size

Under this, our first bet is the lowest and last the highest. We invest 60000, 80000, 100000, 120000 and 140000 at every 10% move. The starting capital is 500000 and the ending capital grows to 816736. This gives us gain of 63%.

We can see clearly that the best result is in Reducing the bet size and the worst result is by Increasing the bet size. However, this is one side of the story. We are only looking at the Gains. What if, we enter an investment with a SL of 10% and for each of the techniques, the SL gets triggered. How would the picture look now?

Well, for this, we will be using the gross gain of each technique and will divide it by the one time 10% loss on each technique. In the end we will take absolute value of the same to arrive at profit factor. An accurate measure of profit factor would only come on series of trades, but here with one trade on three different techniques, we can get a rough idea.

On 10% stop loss for every technique on initial bet quantity, the losses are Rs 14,000 , 10,000 and Rs 6,000 for Reducing, Equal and Increasing bet sizing technique. This means, Reducing technique would be resulting in Maximum gains, but maximum loss. Whereas, Increasing technique would be resulting in Minimum Gain and Minimum losses. Increasing technique would have the best profit factor based on this example and Reducing technique would have the worst. Hence what do we do now?

Now it comes down to personal choice. I trade with Equal bets and I just like the trade off between what this technique has to offer in Profits and what it has to take in Losses. I prefer not to be on the extremes. On a broader note though, I can suggest one position sizing framework for those who are more adventurous.

High Volatility Environment - Either use Increasing technique or Equal Technique. Do not use Reducing technique here.

Low Volatility Environment - Either use Reducing technique or Equal Technique. Do not use Increasing technique here.

When Volatility is high, draw downs and losses are more, hence use conservative techniques. When volatility is low, draw downs and losses are relatively less and hence use aggressive techniques.
I can hope some of you have now guessed why I use the equal sizing technique. If not, then the answer lies in the fact that it features in both the volatile and non volatile environment.

P.S - Excel sheet of this example is attached.

Tc

Last edited:

SwingKing

Fresh Trades are listed here,

Code:
      Script          Buy Date     Traded Price  Current Price     Gain/Loss
       ACE        25th October 201     65.7           64.3           -2.18
Ahmednagar Forging15th October 201    125.7          151.75          17.17
Graphite Industrie25th October 201     96.6          94.75           -1.95
    Lanco Inds    25th October 201    63.45          61.95           -2.42
   3i Infotech    25th October 201    67.45          68.05            0.88
    Sona Koyo     25th October 201     20.9          20.55           -1.70
 Jain Irrigation  25th October 201     1180          1147.7          -2.81
Vardhaman Acrylic 25th October 201     14.9           15.4            3.25
  Bharti Sipyard  25th October 201     257           264.9            2.98
    JK Cement     25th October 201    176.5          180.9            2.43
Live tracking can be done on this google spreadsheet link,

Spreadsheet Link

Tc

SwingKing

On Popular demand, let me list some Penny Stocks which are looking relatively ok.

1. Arvind Remedies
2. Nandan Exim
3. Amit Spinners
4. Eastern Silk
5. Vises Infotech
6. Nissan Copper

All can be entered. Use stop loss of 25% of your invested amount. Investing in penny stocks is something I don't advise. But, I have been receiving many requests for the same and hence this is the list I would adhere to.

Speculate only if you are willing to lose that amount entirely. Exiting penny stocks is not possible sometimes.

I don't trade/track/invest or speculate in such stocks. Hence decide your exit level. Else keep reminding me, I 'll post it here.

Tc

Last edited:

gauharjk

Today is a very sad day for the markets. Bloodbath... :(