Trading With CrossOver And BB

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasadam

A post by Savant Garde on stochastic oscillator.

Identifying Overbought And Oversold Levels Is A Starting Point In Your Analysis. To Really Understand Those Levels, Though, You Need To Know How They Are Derived. The Stochastic Oscillator Can Do The Job For You.

The Stochastic Oscillator Compares The Price Of A Scrip To Its Price Range Over Any Time Period. The Stochastic Oscillator Is Made Up Of Two Lines: %K (The Primary Line) & %D (The Secondary Line). The %K Is Normally Depicted As A Solid Line; The %D Is Usually Dashed. The %K Line Is The Stochastic Oscillator & The %D Line Smoothes The %K Line, Usually By Three Periods.

The Formula For Calculating The %K Line Is As Follows:

K = [(C - L)/(H - L)] * 100

C = Today's Close
L = Lowest Low Of n Periods
H = Highest High Of n Periods

Between 5 & 21 Periods Is Recommended, Although n Can Be Any Number.

The Formula For The % D Line Is:

%D = 100 * (H3/L3)

INTERPRETING STOCHASTICS According To Steven Achelis, The Following Are The Popular Methods For Interpreting The Oscillator:

1 When Either %K Or %D Falls Below A Specific Level (Usually 20) And Then Rises Above That Level, You Should Buy. Likewise, When The Oscillator Rises Above A Specific Level (Usually 80) And Then Falls Below That Level, You Should Sell.

2 When The %K Line Rises Above %D Line, It Usually Suggests An Entry Point, Whereas When The %K Line Crosses Below The %D Line, It's Considered A Sell Signal.

3 Divergences Can Also Reveal Much About Price Movements. When Prices Continue Moving Up But The Stochastic Oscillator Doesn't, It's A Negative Divergence. When You See This Appear, It Usually Means A Downtrend In Prices Is Likely. Likewise, When Prices Are Moving Down But The Stochastic Oscillator Doesn't Follow The Price Movement, It Usually Means Prices Will Move Up.

Stochastics Are Useful In Identifying Oversold & Overbought Levels And In Determining Turning Points In Prices. Since The Value Of The Oscillator Differs From Day To Day, However, It Can Sometimes display erratic movements, leading to false signals. Because Of That, The Stochastics Oscillator Is Generally Best Used In Conjunction With Other Indicators.......& Those Have Already Been Suggested.... ...........
Happy & Safer Trading

SavantGarde

AW10

In that presentation, there is mention of Log scale. What difference does it make to plot the chart in log scale as against linear scale?
Bunny,

Arithmetic or normal chart scale shows equal vertical distance for each unit of price change. say 100 points gap = 1 cm of vertical axis.

Logarithmic chart scale shows equal vertical distance for equal percentage moves
ie. 1% of current price = 1 cm of vertical axis.

Log charts are used when u are analysing long term charts.. where price has changed a lot.. Say Nifty chart from the period when it was at 800 level till now when it is at 5000 level.
If you use arithemetic scale, then u can not see any clarity on left side of chart. Cause
100 point move on those days was price action of 1 month. But u can see right side of the chart clearly cause bars are drawn in proportion to current values.

But when u use log chart, you will see it with same clarity. Log chart has wider lower range on Y-Axis where values are low.. so get more clarity..
It is in terms of %. so 100 point then was counted at 12% of move.. and in todays terms that will be equal to 5000*12% = 600 pts move..Both will cover 1 cm of y axis.

Hope it helps in clarifying your doubt. Plz chk out some long term chart and see the difference.

I laugh when people use Log charts where Y-axis values are not drastically different.
my thumb rule is if ratio of max value /min value of y-axis is > 4, go for log chart.
else keep it simple and use normal chart.

Last edited:
Dear SavantGarde, docvijay4u and prasadam,

Hi...!
I read all above 717 posts (72 pages) of discussions on "trading-crossover-bb" method for trading. I am new in share market. After reading all posts I get some good knowledge from you guys. But the knowledge I in scattered form (in so many different posts).

My humble request to you to please start a new thread/topic for "trading-crossover-bb" which will share only IMPORTANT PART of the discussion in article format. So new members will get benefited from this new thread...instead of having to read all 72 pages.

Thank you.

Happy Diwali to all traderji dot com members !!!

-Amol

Great....Its so nice explanation for new trader like me. Could anyone sugest me Technical course in Delhi. Although there is a portal www.equitychart.co.in, they are also dealing in TECHNICAL ANALYSIS COurse in India, I have written them today. Lets see wht comes as a reply.

Keep posting this kind study.

Thankx

Status
Not open for further replies.