A Bird's eye view to a Bull's eye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Tnsn2345
I ll list out what I consider my core incompetencies are.

Emotional trades- I have this tendency of trying to get back at the market and win back my lost money which quite a few times has resulted in heavier losses. Normally I do give importance to MM and never take a trade above my allotted risk but as the MTM turns negative it all resolutions go into toss and I get into using margin too just to get back what I ve lost.

Silly mistakes- Making mistakes in placing orders and once I notice my mistake praying to god that it does nt take me into loss even as i can see the loss mounting.

Fear- Fear of losing which makes me book profits earlier sometimes. But now I ve started booking only partial profits and let a part of my positions run..
Fear of losing is also holding me back from entering the derivatives section dont know if it is good or bad though..

Hi Tnsn2345
I ll list out what I consider my core incompetencies are.

Emotional trades- I have this tendency of trying to get back at the market and win back my lost money which quite a few times has resulted in heavier losses. Normally I do give importance to MM and never take a trade above my allotted risk but as the MTM turns negative it all resolutions go into toss and I get into using margin too just to get back what I ve lost.

Silly mistakes- Making mistakes in placing orders and once I notice my mistake praying to god that it does nt take me into loss even as i can see the loss mounting.

Fear- Fear of losing which makes me book profits earlier sometimes. But now I ve started booking only partial profits and let a part of my positions run..
Fear of losing is also holding me back from entering the derivatives section dont know if it is good or bad though..

I do eaxtly the same mistakes.Its seems vry diffucult to overcome emotional trading.
dear seniors please advice how to keep emotions in control and trade in a disciplined manner...

VJAY

Dear tnsn,
these are some of my mistakes which am making regularly,
1.switching methods.....though I backtest method aftergetting confidence then trade..also make some profit...then switch another method....it is running regularly...though am now stopped to look some threads so also switching also slowed :)...but still when i see any new system/method am switching....please help to avoid this...
2.when i trade one successive method....trade get hitting sar's in 3 trades then 1 trade get in profit which i loss in 3 trades i exit ongoing trade opposit of my rule of that method.looking square off my previous losses..then that trades goes without me....then wait for entry that also get hit sar's....unable to handle these problems....pls help
3.please give one model journel... which points we keep in our journal for refering our trades..emotions vise and trade wise...

Dear tnsn2345

Thank you very much for taking initiative to help newbies like us.

Well my problems are

1) Not trailing the profit
2) Early exit ( maybe 1 & 2 are same )
3) Changing timeframe of trades
4) Fear ( when price goes against my position )
5) Method hopping

Looking forward to your valuable guidance :)

tnsn2345

Dear friends,

Holiday mood since yesterday, so couldn't revert. Apologies...

I have gone through your posts and shall write tonight (could be bit late, but I will)

Regards,

tnsn2345

Silence is Golden…but not always
In trading, eliminate noise…but not always

These two rules can help us to trade profitably with our ‘core incompetencies’

I have consolidated the incompetencies from the above post as below:

1) Target achieved in a day but still trading i.e. over trading
2) Seeing profit into loss, and still holding the position and not exiting
3) Vengeance / revenge / trading to recover losses
4) Past experience is used to exit the next trade in less profit / not able to hold profitable trades longer / early exit from profitable trades
5) Past experience of loss or fear of losing results in not taking further trades
6) Not following charts / methods and losing focus in between on the methods
7) Silly mistakes in placing orders and then praying if they go in loss
8) Switching methods / hopping from one to another trade

Disclaimer : Since I am addressing how to best use our flaws to profit, I am not mentioning how to correct them. The above are trader specific and hence should not be construed as a trader personality trait which is ‘necessary’ to trade profitably. If you do not have any or all of these flaws, please do try to ‘acquire’ them. You may be better off not having these.

1) Target achieved in a day but still trading i.e. over trading.
- Create noise, virtually. If you can play some music even better. See if you can enter your profit in an excel trade by trade (net profit) and once it crosses your days target, the sound file should run automatically (simple macros can help – google sound playing macros in excel, you will get many). You can play your favourite song too once you reach your target and play it loud, let to whole wide world know about it.

- Just pull the plug of your CPU or press down the Off button of your laptop at that moment itself in a fraction of a second once the day’s target is achieved. Rush for a shower (if at home) or for a leak in the loo (if in office)

- Dial a random number from your phone book of your mobile and start talking all good things and how you remember him or her. (other purpose of PR with friends/ relatives is also addressed by this)

2) Seeing profit into loss, and still holding the position and not exiting
- Silence is Golden…but not always…
Keep a small innocent looking toy on your desk ( a Noody or a Doreamon will do) once you get into this position, do not look at your screen, look at the toy and start speaking to him loudly (do NOT be silent – when you are mum, you will not act). Ask him why is he sad, make him answer and you speak on his behalf loudly to yourself. Ask him what will make him happy and let him ‘shout at you – ‘Get Out’ or rather ‘WTF you are doing here, Get Out’. Turn back to your screen (no looking at chart or the price), just get out at the market price.

3) Vengeance / revenge / trading to recover losses
- At the juncture of taking a vengeance / revenge trade or trading to recover loss the atmosphere in the mind is quite intense. And you need to release the pressure only at the right moment. Remember there a secret alarm bell button at a cashier counter in a bank and incase of any robbery attempt it has to be pressed immediately which sounds off the nearest police station. In the same way, create a one key (hot key) function which when pressed will sound an irritating alarm. You can use a physical bell too.

- The power of zero. If you still want to take a vengeance trade and you had decided to buy 1000 quantity of x instrument. The moment you are going to enter this trade, keep the ‘0’ key pressed for 2 seconds more and then press enter for order placement. What will happen here is your order will be rejected since the order quantity you placed will not be 1000, but will be 10000000 or 10000000000.

- Play Double Cross - (This can be done easily with little practice). When you are at the verge of taking a vengeance trade, just at the last moment – say it aloud, Allah o Akbar, Jo bole sonihal, Har har Mahadev or whatever similar you have faith in and just enter an opposite trade to what you have been thinking of i.e. if you planning to buy then place a sell order and vice versa. In the most of the most cases it will be a profitable trade.
(Remember the movie - Ghulam, Aamir running against a local train coming from the opposite direction, keeping on running, only at the last moment, jumping off the track and 'double crossing' death)

……contd...

Last edited:

tnsn2345

What I have mentioned in my last post may sound funny or ridiculous, but who cares, if I can cut on my losses and profit I am fine. I do not care what the world things about me as long as I have the money with me.

The idea here is since we are unable to improve upon our flaws / incomepetency, we are finding ways to encash them. We are just changing the game only a bit or only at the last moment, we use simple things, unconvetional things, things which we see in our daily normal life can help us here...what I have mentioned above and going to mention after are not the only ways, these are concepts but can be practised. Likewise you can create your ideas, tools, and use it to your benefit to cut your losses.

....contd...

tnsn2345

4) Past experience is used to exit the next trade in less profit / not able to hold profitable trades longer / early exit from profitable trades

- Change a bit from discretionary method to mechanical, just a little bit. Why? In such situations of past experience and current experience our mind keeps on processing multiple and opposite thoughts simultaneously and what ever decision we take there after, if it results in a loss or profit we add it to the hard disk of our head. And this information will again be used for multiple and opposite thoughts in future situations. Hence to avoid blaming or praising our mind during such instances, it is better that the decision to hold or exit the position in less profit or to hold it longer should be done bit mechanically.
So, it can be done in a toggle manner i.e. if the earlier experience says exit (should have been written somewhere earlier before taking the current trade) then you will hold the position, and likewise, what ever is written on the basis of earlier experience you will do the opposite. (You may also choose to do the same as what was done earlier).
You can also use a random decision, by tossing a coin at this juncture and deciding on the basis of Heads (hold), Tails (exit). More simply, you can look at your wrist watch and if the seconds hand is between 12 to 6 (hold) and if between 6 to 12 (exit).

What we are actually doing here is freeing our mind from the additional stress (already it is processing so much for us, why bother it more with such issues, especially when we are in PROFIT). I believe that there are so many questions and mysteries in the world and we need not try and solve each, infact life will be better if some mysteries remain mysteries forever. So even if the coin or a wrist watch helps me keep a cool and stable mind, which can help me take a next trade right, I am willing to stick to it.

…contd…

Silence is Golden…but not always
In trading, eliminate noise…but not always

- Play Double Cross - (This can be done easily with little practice). When you are at the verge of taking a vengeance trade, just at the last moment – say it aloud, Allah o Akbar, Jo bole sonihal, Har har Mahadev or whatever similar you have faith in and just enter an opposite trade to what you have been thinking of i.e. if you planning to buy then place a sell order and vice versa. In the most of the most cases it will be a profitable trade.

……contd...
Dear tnsn2345

Thank you for this vry useful this.Wil try to use if necessery

Regards

AW10

Great answers TNSN, for typical trader's challange areas.
They do not sound crazy to me.. cause to break the ingrained -ive trading habit, we got to do things differently.. As an adult, we stop taking new actions but keep repeating what we have been doing always.

Some of them are giving me clues to improve my trading too. Thanks.

happy trading.

Status
Not open for further replies.