Votes: 15 8.4%
  • Relationship Articles

Votes: 20 11.2%
  • Behavoiral articles

Votes: 47 26.4%

• Total voters

amitrandive

Have Breakeven Trades

http://www.babypips.com/blogs/pipsy...b&utm_medium=timeline&utm_campaign=fbtimeline

Every single forex trader out there wants to be profitable, the most basic measure of which comes in the form of net profits and losses. And so, it is common to see traders not pay attention to their breakeven trades. What many don’t realize though is that there’s more to them than just the zeroes they register in your trading journals.

But before we get ahead of ourselves, let’s first define breakeven trades.

Our Forexpedia defines the breakeven point as the level where gains equal to losses. Therefore, a breakeven trade is one that is neither a winner nor a loser. It closes at a particular price where profit and loss both equal to zero.

Sure, you rarely get praises from others (as well as yourself) for breakeven trades, but don’t take them for granted! The beauty of breakeven trades is that although you may not increase your account with them, they do enable you to protect your capital.

To help you with the latter, let me discuss the two kinds of breakeven trades and the psychology behind them:

Let’s start off with the case of a breakeven trade that would have been a winner. Does the following sound familiar?

• The market initially moves in your favor.
  • The market turns around and you manually exit at breakeven, or the market triggers your stop loss trailed to breakeven.
  • The market reverses directions again, eventually hitting your profit target.

Sometimes, the above scenario unfolds through wild swings in price action, and in cases of an unpredictable news or market event (possibly invalidating fundamental analysis), it’s a smart move to protect one’s capital and exit at breakeven.

Of course, there are also cases wherein a trader may end up with a breakeven trade for the wrong reasons, such as the fear of seeing a positive trade turn negative.

Now, let’s take a look at the breakeven trade that would’ve turned out to be a loser. It often looks like this:

• The market moves against you.
  • The market turns around and you exit at breakeven.
  • The market reverses directions again, eventually hitting your initial stop loss.

We’ve all experienced holding on to losing trades at some point in time. Sometimes, doing so can work to our advantage. But it’s not always a good idea to let losing trades run.

Hope can lead a trader to hold on to a losing trade long after he or she should’ve exited. What you have to keep in mind is that it’s okay to cut losses early. Sometimes, if the story changes, closing a trade at breakeven is the best that you can do and that doing so can save you from taking on bigger losses than necessary.

All in all, it’s important to keep track of your breakeven trades because they reveal a lot about how you keep your emotions in check in times of extreme stress.

So, the next time you close your trade at breakeven, take a step back and look at your trading plan. Ask yourself what that zero in your profit and loss column means. Did you execute your trade according to plan and the market just didn’t go your way? Or were you overcome by fear, greed, and/or hope?

Whatever your answer is, think about what you could’ve done differently. If you realize that you let your emotions get the best of you, causing you to close your trade on fear, greed, and/or hope, don’t be too hard on yourself. Charge it to experience, make the adjustment to your trading plans, and move forward.

amitrandive

Give Yourself a Mental Workout: 5 Brain Exercises
http://eminimind.com/mental-workout-brain-exercises/

I’ve put together a great series of brain exercises to help you excel as a trader, athlete, and overall human being.

The human brain is an amazing tool. The capacity for us to fill our brains with knowledge and then pull from that knowledge bank at any given instant is incredible. But our brains are only as sharp as the content we fuel it with.

Let’s dive in…
5 Things You can do to Strengthen Your Brain

1. Play board gamesBoard Game

That’s right; this stuff isn’t just for kids. Playing games like Monopoly, Scrabble, Risk, and Chess all actively engage your brain and help it stay sharp. Other games like Rich Dad’s Cash Flow Quadrant can be even more beneficial as you work through real like problems and brainstorm solutions.

2. Put together jigsaw puzzles

Jigsaw puzzles train our brains pattern recognition. It also is a great way to relax and enjoy other’s company or listening to podcasts. Doing mundane tasks such as folding laundry, doing dishes, and putting together jigsaw puzzles allow for an opportune time to engage in conversation with your spouse or friends and puzzles provide a fun atmosphere.

3. Crosswords and Sudoku

These types of puzzles stimulate the brain’s memory and reasoning skills. Studies have shown as we age our cognitive abilities decrease without constant mental stimulation. Sitting on a plane or in a waiting room killing time with a crossword or Sudoku puzzle is just the ticket to keep your brain sharp.

4. Play Trivia

Many bars and restraints hold a weekly trivia tournament, but you can host your own if you’d like. The reason trivia helps our brain is not only in the fun facts that they drum up, but with the interaction of others. As humans we long for companionship and surrounding yourself with friends while working on a problem or coming up with a trivia solution helps stimulate the brain.

Playing trivia in a social setting also helps you get out and meet new people. Getting out of your comfort zone is the best thing you can do if you’re looking to grow.

5. Read

Finally, read. Pickup a good old fashioned book and dive in. It doesn’t even have to be about trading, in fact, pick a topic completely unrelated to trading.

You’ll find that immersing yourself in other disciplines helps to broaden the scope of your mind and by reading, we engage a much different part of our brains than we do while sitting in front of the television.

You’ll find that most of these tools are really games disguised as exercises and that’s because when we play games our brains are getting exercised.

Online Brain Games

The site I use for brain exercising is Lumosity. There are others like it out there, but I find that Lumosity has a good balance of exercises that can help a trader improve their speed in decision making.

Other tools that help me during the day:

• Drop Box – Cloud file storage. Allows me to work from anywhere, change my surroundings, and be mobile.
  • Trading Journal Spreadsheets – Excel trading journal with integrated data analysis tools. Super helpful for reviewing trades and processing the data.
  • Pandora – Listening to music (especially music without words like classical, jazz, or trance) really helps me stay focused throughout the day. Shoot me an email and I can share some of my stations with you.

3 Apps for on the go Brain Exercising

• Unstuck – When you get stuck on a problem, this app can help you get back on track (simply amazing!)
  • Lift – Helps to build good habits
  • Lumosity – Train your brain from anywhere

amitrandive

Brilliant Nescafe Advertisement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1whG-9BjsQ

A brilliant advertisement by Nescafe.Surely changes our perspective.

We all fall, get up and complete the race of life! And while we huddle up with friends, family and the world to celebrate the success, it is only that one companion that silently stays by our side all through the journey, right from the start, never letting us give up & keeping us on plan - NESCAFÉ!