Come into the Trader's Den

Placebo

Ravi - Its quite understandable that your level of curiosity is sky high right now and a million questions must be popping up in the head. If you look into different sub sections of this forums then some of these questions will be answered like charting software , brokerage , taxation etc.

My advice to you is that read as much as you can about strategies and systems and techniques but take everything with a pinch of salt. Explore all your options now and see what suits you. It could be trading Stocks , Bonds , Commodities or Forex and the style of trading and how to trade it.

And for the time being try not to forecast the direction of prices and keep away from trading a live account. Good Luck to you. If you need any help feel free to ask.

Cheers And Happy Trading

biyasc

thanks.......

finally....is charting the ultimate tool for day trading?
if so how many scrips at a time?

then the stoploss and target?

or are you convinced that nothing decides it all !!!!!!

only market sentiment decides it !!!!!

so that means if sentiment only decides it....no tool is required...!!!!

ga ga go with the wind !!!

so what do you do ??

to me, YES.

market is supreme.

to succeed in trading at least 5 yrs of experiences are needed. once you are done, you will never ask these questions. no offence ravi. best of luck.

DanPickUp

Hi

Hope you had a good week. Here some thing for the weekend.

Today it is about a floor trader. Floor traders do and did work directly in the exchange. The way, they have to work, doe's not really allow, to not take a trade when it appears. So, they sometimes work and worked under great pressure and have/had to make big decisions in seconds.

How to do that ?

By using the most complicated indicators and systems. Surely not and that is why we can learn from this fellow people. And that is why the word KISS always finds back to its meaning : KEEP IT STUPID SIMPLE. But stupid, even then, in a clever way.

We all can trade with simple indicators and the recognition of some pattern and that's what he as a pros doe's. He also knows exactly what he wants from the market. He wants to pocket !!

Check how simple his indicators are. They are a really clever mix. Many think, indicators must be complicate. That is not the true. It doe's not mean, that you have to use the same indicators.

I only give ideas with such interviews from such top traders. What you finally do with this information belongs to you. I only can say : For my trading style it helped and helps still today, to have such information. It gave and still gives me, beside other controlling tools, the possibility to adjust my trading with new ideas if necessary. If not, I have some thing new in my head and who knows, when ever I may can use it.

In other cases, I got and get confirmation, that what I am doing, has the chance to be or not to be successful. That is the way, I use this information's. Now let's go to the guy.

He finally was called : The pocket man.

Are you a pocket man ?

Here it goes :

@pocketman> I started using the word pocekts when I was on the floor a certain time ago.
@pocketman> Back on the floor than, it was more audio and visual volume
@pocketman> originally when I looked for a pocket, it was both a value area where there was volume accumulating
@pocketman> in other words, a small range where there was decent range as well

@pocketman> Here is a simple bar chart graph
@pocketman> pockets looks like consolidations, value areas, rectangular shelves, not necessarily V shapes
@pocketman> other people might call them zones or trading ranges
@pocketman> this is a 400 tick chart of the e minis
@pocketman> (with 3/10 oscialltor and ADXon the bottom)

@pocketman> I will also show you my additional tools I like to frame out a trade.
@pocketman> The V trendlines show how they fit into each other
@pocketman> I like to think of the pockets fitting into each other like gloves
@pocketman> "Ws"
@pocketman> are same thing
@pocketman> retesting areas validates them as support or resistance.
@pocketman> Other indicators can tell us if retest will hold or not
@pocketman> buy or sell divergences into an area of a pocket are choice
@pocketman> Moving averages can show if momentum is shifting
@pocketman> I am using this to demonstrate a strong market where pockets are not getting tested back into
@pocketman> each pocket is substantially higher
@pocketman> when buying into a retest of a pocket, I like to probe with a small amount, and once
@pocketman> the market finds support that is confirmed, THEN I go in and put on the rest of the size

When I am trading the mini indexes ( S&P )

@pocketman [16:40:15]> I like to use all four markets to validate a test of support or resistance ( DJ, S&P 500 big one, Nasdaq and S&P 500 mini )
@pocketman [16:40:34]> If three out of four markets are doing what I think they shuld be doing, I pull the trigger.

I drew rectangular boxes on this charts. For my market direction,

@pocketman [16:44:57]> I use three moving averages.
@pocketman [16:45:07]> I have been using them since the early 90s.
@pocketman [16:45:23]> I use a 30 period simple moving average of the highs, a simple
@pocketman [16:45:35]> moving average of the lows (30 period)
@pocketman [16:45:43]> and a 10 period simple moving average
@pocketman [16:45:55]> I colored the slope of the 10 period
@pocketman [16:46:04]> UP or down to help spot the trend direction
@pocketman [16:46:47]> In general,

@pocketman [16:46:58]> lets start with an upside breakout above the 30 high
@pocketman [16:47:29]> There has to be SOME type of momentum behind a move to drive it above a moving average of the highs !
@pocketman [16:47:49]> I then use the 10 period simple moving average for moemntum diretion and confirmation
@pocketman [16:47:54]> For instance,
@pocketman [16:48:03]> when the 10 is sideways and snaking sideways
@pocketman [16:48:17]> it is saying there is not enough momentum to drive the market much beyond a 30 high or low

lets look at a trade

@pocketman [16:49:52]> how I would have entered
@pocketman [16:49:59]> Look at example in middle of the chart. we are in a downtrend
@pocketman [16:50:18]> and the red shows we have a dwontrend on the 10 simple

@pocketman [16:50:30]> I like to put a SELL STOP
@pocketman [16:50:35]> at the RED band
@pocketman [16:50:56]> the moving average of the lows makes a convenient sell stop
@pocketman [16:51:05]> that you can have RESTING AHEAD OF TIME

@pocketman [16:51:22]> (great if you are newer and not comfortable pulling the trigger as well)

@pocketman [16:51:23]> THEN
@pocketman [16:51:46]> we put a protective BUY stop at the moving average of the highs
@pocketman [16:51:56]> So, the entry and stop are automatically framed out for you.

Now, where to exit

@pocketman [16:52:48]> at the least
@pocketman [16:52:59]> I exit when the moving average turns green again
@pocketman [16:53:00]> or,
@pocketman [16:53:05]> if there are Buy Divergences
@pocketman [16:53:07]> I cover
@pocketman [16:53:18]> Or if there is test into a previous pocket

I also will use a three bar reversal for covering

@pocketman [16:58:40]> This is nothing more then a close above the previous two highs, or a close below the previous two lows
@pocketman [16:59:21]> This is a helpful tool for taking a profit as well as initating.

the different things I use to trade:

@pocketman [17:01:01]> the three moving averages
@pocketman [17:01:04]> chart pockets
@pocketman [17:01:10]> 3/10 oscialltor
@pocketman [17:01:16]> and 3 bar reversals
@pocketman [17:01:43]> there is also basic bar chart pattern recognition.

Have a nice weekend

DanPickUp

Last edited:

Placebo

Hi Dan

That previous post was a great read where this dude explains about potential accumulation and how he trades it. Thanks for sharing

Is there any way you could upload the charts that he is talking about ?

Cheers And Happy Trading

DanPickUp

Hi Placebo

Hope you and your family is well.

Sorry, I do not have a screen shot from that chart in the interview. Why should I ? Look at it this way :

This speak was about two years ago. Mostly all information about the indicators from the chart are described in the text. Because of that I did not make a screen shot of the chart. Anyway not necessary.

If you have a good charting program, implement what he speaks about there and you will see it directly on the chart you personally trade. That is anyway the best way to test or control new ideas.

Amibroker should have all of that, Ninja has it anyway, Metastock is clear and all the other programs which exist in the world and have a certain value, should have it.

Take care

DanPickUp

Last edited:

Placebo

If you have a good charting program, implement what he speaks about there and you will see it directly on the chart you personally trade.

That is anyway the best way to test or control new ideas
Thanks again Dan

I do have a good charting program but i would like to see that particular chart of pocketman where potential accumulation was taking place. But since that is not possible its okay.

Just out of curiosity is pocketman the author of Mind Over Markets ? Better known as Mr James Dalton ?

Cheers And Happy Trading

Hi

Hope you had a good week. Here some thing for the weekend.

Today it is about a floor trader. Floor traders do and did work directly in the exchange. The way, they have to work, doe's not really allow, to not take a trade when it appears. So, they sometimes work and worked under great pressure and have/had to make big decisions in seconds.

How to do that ?

By using the most complicated indicators and systems. Surely not and that is why we can learn from this fellow people. And that is why the word KISS always finds back to its meaning : KEEP IT STUPID SIMPLE. But stupid, even then, in a clever way.

We all can trade with simple indicators and the recognition of some pattern and that's what he as a pros doe's. He also knows exactly what he wants from the market. He wants to pocket !!

Check how simple his indicators are. They are a really clever mix. Many think, indicators must be complicate. That is not the true. It doe's not mean, that you have to use the same indicators.

I only give ideas with such interviews from such top traders. What you finally do with this information belongs to you. I only can say : For my trading style it helped and helps still today, to have such information. It gave and still gives me, beside other controlling tools, the possibility to adjust my trading with new ideas if necessary. If not, I have some thing new in my head and who knows, when ever I may can use it.

In other cases, I got and get confirmation, that what I am doing, has the chance to be or not to be successful. That is the way, I use this information's. Now let's go to the guy.

He finally was called : The pocket man.

Are you a pocket man ?

Here it goes :

@pocketman> I started using the word pocekts when I was on the floor a certain time ago.
@pocketman> Back on the floor than, it was more audio and visual volume
@pocketman> originally when I looked for a pocket, it was both a value area where there was volume accumulating
@pocketman> in other words, a small range where there was decent range as well

@pocketman> Here is a simple bar chart graph
@pocketman> pockets looks like consolidations, value areas, rectangular shelves, not necessarily V shapes
@pocketman> other people might call them zones or trading ranges
@pocketman> this is a 400 tick chart of the e minis
@pocketman> (with 3/10 oscialltor and ADXon the bottom)

@pocketman> I will also show you my additional tools I like to frame out a trade.
@pocketman> The V trendlines show how they fit into each other
@pocketman> I like to think of the pockets fitting into each other like gloves
@pocketman> "Ws"
@pocketman> are same thing
@pocketman> retesting areas validates them as support or resistance.
@pocketman> Other indicators can tell us if retest will hold or not
@pocketman> buy or sell divergences into an area of a pocket are choice
@pocketman> Moving averages can show if momentum is shifting
@pocketman> I am using this to demonstrate a strong market where pockets are not getting tested back into
@pocketman> each pocket is substantially higher
@pocketman> when buying into a retest of a pocket, I like to probe with a small amount, and once
@pocketman> the market finds support that is confirmed, THEN I go in and put on the rest of the size

When I am trading the mini indexes ( S&P )

@pocketman [16:40:15]> I like to use all four markets to validate a test of support or resistance ( DJ, S&P 500 big one, Nasdaq and S&P 500 mini )
@pocketman [16:40:34]> If three out of four markets are doing what I think they shuld be doing, I pull the trigger.

I drew rectangular boxes on this charts. For my market direction,

@pocketman [16:44:57]> I use three moving averages.
@pocketman [16:45:07]> I have been using them since the early 90s.
@pocketman [16:45:23]> I use a 30 period simple moving average of the highs, a simple
@pocketman [16:45:35]> moving average of the lows (30 period)
@pocketman [16:45:43]> and a 10 period simple moving average
@pocketman [16:45:55]> I colored the slope of the 10 period
@pocketman [16:46:04]> UP or down to help spot the trend direction
@pocketman [16:46:47]> In general,

@pocketman [16:46:58]> lets start with an upside breakout above the 30 high
@pocketman [16:47:29]> There has to be SOME type of momentum behind a move to drive it above a moving average of the highs !
@pocketman [16:47:49]> I then use the 10 period simple moving average for moemntum diretion and confirmation
@pocketman [16:47:54]> For instance,
@pocketman [16:48:03]> when the 10 is sideways and snaking sideways
@pocketman [16:48:17]> it is saying there is not enough momentum to drive the market much beyond a 30 high or low

lets look at a trade

@pocketman [16:49:52]> how I would have entered
@pocketman [16:49:59]> Look at example in middle of the chart. we are in a downtrend
@pocketman [16:50:18]> and the red shows we have a dwontrend on the 10 simple

@pocketman [16:50:30]> I like to put a SELL STOP
@pocketman [16:50:35]> at the RED band
@pocketman [16:50:56]> the moving average of the lows makes a convenient sell stop
@pocketman [16:51:05]> that you can have RESTING AHEAD OF TIME

@pocketman [16:51:22]> (great if you are newer and not comfortable pulling the trigger as well)

@pocketman [16:51:23]> THEN
@pocketman [16:51:46]> we put a protective BUY stop at the moving average of the highs
@pocketman [16:51:56]> So, the entry and stop are automatically framed out for you.

Now, where to exit

@pocketman [16:52:48]> at the least
@pocketman [16:52:59]> I exit when the moving average turns green again
@pocketman [16:53:00]> or,
@pocketman [16:53:05]> if there are Buy Divergences
@pocketman [16:53:07]> I cover
@pocketman [16:53:18]> Or if there is test into a previous pocket

I also will use a three bar reversal for covering

@pocketman [16:58:40]> This is nothing more then a close above the previous two highs, or a close below the previous two lows
@pocketman [16:59:21]> This is a helpful tool for taking a profit as well as initating.

the different things I use to trade:

@pocketman [17:01:01]> the three moving averages
@pocketman [17:01:04]> chart pockets
@pocketman [17:01:10]> 3/10 oscialltor
@pocketman [17:01:16]> and 3 bar reversals
@pocketman [17:01:43]> there is also basic bar chart pattern recognition.

Have a nice weekend

DanPickUp
helo,
good one,
thanks

DanPickUp

Hi Placebo

Pocketman is not Jim Dalton.

Pocketman is now with Future Path Trading and his born name is Damon Pavlaton.

Some information for those, which do not know Jim Dalton. Jim Dalton currently trades for his own account and is the lead author of a second book, Markets in Profile, newly published by John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

His first book, Mind Over Markets, co-authored by Eric T. Jones and Robert Bevan Dalton, was originally published in 1990 and continues to be a
foundational work, providing a wealth of tactical trading strategies based on the Market Profile, a method of arranging data that enables the visualization of evolving market structure.

DanPickUp

Last edited: