Forex trading in India - Legal?. Here is RBI circular

margin trading is legal according to rbi at overseas exchanges.

you can trade in global equities, f&o .

It has been mentioned in overseas trading page at icici ,kotak, iifl securities web page.

I even contacted them.its legal.

Minimum amount required to open a overseas trading account is 2 lakh rupees.
Under the liberalize remittance scheme ,it has been mentioned with certain limit.

Do not know about forex.
I thought this is a serious thread.

Pl. post RBI rules (or links) permitting margin trading with foreign brokers or the 'overseas trading pages'. Not only me but hundreds of traders will be eternally grateful to you.

As far as my ultra-limited info goes i'm aware of this

http://www.rbi.org.in/scripts/FAQView.aspx?Id=53

which has following at Q. 30.

What are the prohibited items under the Scheme?

Ans. The remittance facility under the Scheme is not available for the following:

i) Remittance for any purpose specifically prohibited under Schedule-I (like purchase of lottery tickets/sweep stakes, proscribed magazines, etc.) or any item restricted under Schedule II of Foreign Exchange Management (Current Account Transactions) Rules, 2000;

ii) Remittance from India for margins or margin calls to overseas exchanges / overseas counterparty;

iii) Remittances for purchase of FCCBs issued by Indian companies in the overseas secondary market;

iv) Remittance for trading in foreign exchange abroad;

v) Remittance by a resident individual for setting up a company abroad;

vi) Remittances directly or indirectly to Bhutan, Nepal, Mauritius and Pakistan;

vii) Remittances directly or indirectly to countries identified by the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) as “non co-operative countries and territories”, from time to time; and

viii) Remittances directly or indirectly to those individuals and entities identified as posing significant risk of committing acts of terrorism as advised separately by the Reserve Bank to the banks.

Infact no form of internet money exchange can be done (even Liberty Reserve) as per following circular

http://www.rbi.org.in/scripts/BS_PressReleaseDisplay.aspx?prid=23941

I agree that its difficult to trace payments through Liberty Reserve, but only bucket shops accept that method of payment where broker is a counter-party to all trades. Only few NFA member brokers offer forex without making you sign in agreement that broker can act as counterparty to all/any trade.

Last edited:
I thought this is a serious thread.

Pl. post RBI rules (or links) permitting margin trading with foreign brokers or the 'overseas trading pages'. Not only me but hundreds of traders will be eternally grateful to you.

As far as my ultra-limited info goes i'm aware of this

http://www.rbi.org.in/scripts/FAQView.aspx?Id=53

which has following at Q. 30.

What are the prohibited items under the Scheme?

Ans. The remittance facility under the Scheme is not available for the following:

i) Remittance for any purpose specifically prohibited under Schedule-I (like purchase of lottery tickets/sweep stakes, proscribed magazines, etc.) or any item restricted under Schedule II of Foreign Exchange Management (Current Account Transactions) Rules, 2000;

ii) Remittance from India for margins or margin calls to overseas exchanges / overseas counterparty;

iii) Remittances for purchase of FCCBs issued by Indian companies in the overseas secondary market;

iv) Remittance for trading in foreign exchange abroad;

v) Remittance by a resident individual for setting up a company abroad;

vi) Remittances directly or indirectly to Bhutan, Nepal, Mauritius and Pakistan;

vii) Remittances directly or indirectly to countries identified by the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) as non co-operative countries and territories, from time to time; and

viii) Remittances directly or indirectly to those individuals and entities identified as posing significant risk of committing acts of terrorism as advised separately by the Reserve Bank to the banks.

Infact no form of internet money exchange can be done (even Liberty Reserve) as per following circular

http://www.rbi.org.in/scripts/BS_PressReleaseDisplay.aspx?prid=23941

I agree that its difficult to trace payments through Liberty Reserve, but only bucket shops accept that method of payment where broker is a counter-party to all trades. Only few NFA member brokers offer forex without making you sign in agreement that broker can act as counterparty to all/any trade.

The Reserve Bank of India has today clarified that remittance in any form towards overseas foreign exchange trading through electronic/internet trading portals is not permitted under the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA), 1999. The Reserve Bank has also clarified that the existing regulations under FEMA, 1999 do not permit residents to trade in foreign exchange in domestic / overseas markets.

Residents are, however, permitted to trade in currency futures and options contracts, traded on the stock exchanges recognised by the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) in India, subject to the conditions specified by the Reserve Bank from time to time.

Background

The Reserve Bank had noticed advertisements issued by electronic / internet portals offering trading or investing in foreign exchange with guaranteed high returns. Many companies even engage agents who personally contact gullible people to undertake forex trading/ investment schemes and entice them with promises of disproportionate / exorbitant returns.

The Reserve Bank of India cautions the public not to remit or deposit money for such unauthorised transactions. The advice has become necessary in the wake of many residents falling prey to such tempting offers and losing money heavily in the recent past.

Alpana Killawala
Chief General Manager
Where does it say you can't transact with LR?.

Yes there are bucket shops , you just need to be aware of them and don't trade with them.

My suggestion would be to first trade profitably and only then worry about these issues. There is no point in arguing about circulars published by RBI.

focus on trading...:thumb:

Where does it say you can't transact with LR?.

Yes there are bucket shops , you just need to be aware of them and don't trade with them.

My suggestion would be to first trade profitably and only then worry about these issues. There is no point in arguing about circulars published by RBI.

focus on trading...:thumb:
I don't understand why you think none is already trading profitably and everyone is here is yet to 'first' learn how to trade profitably. Can you point to a SINGLE broker accepting LR and not requiring client to agree to broker acting as counter party, including eToro.

I don't understand why you think none is already trading profitably and everyone is here is yet to 'first' learn how to trade profitably. Can you point to a SINGLE broker accepting LR and not requiring client to agree to broker acting as counter party, including eToro.
Try Hotforex , I fund and withdraw using LR. I have already withdrawn about 50K INR now..
eToro is a bucket shop. Don't trade with them..

Try Hotforex , I fund and withdraw using LR. I have already withdrawn about 50K INR now..
eToro is a bucket shop. Don't trade with them..
Good luck to you for trading with a mauritius based broker.

A recent advertisement:

Start your own forex brokerage

Hello,

I own a Financial Services Commission (Mauritius) regulated Forex brokerage company. The company is dually registered and licensed to accept client deposits and provide brokerage services (market making permitted).

Exact license type GBL1.

Along with the company, corporate bank acc opening with Mauritius Commercial Bank (biggest bank in Mauritius), goes free of cost (usually charged at $500).

Free inclusions
Auditing for year 2011.
Registered Office, Registered Agent, Secretary for 2011.
Tax Filling for year 2011

If anyone is interested in setting up the entire business as independent forex brokerage firm, we can set it up for you. It would be in full capability (you can be counterparty for your clients or make the market, provide them STP etc). Platform will be MT4 or MT5 with your companys brand name.

Depending upon what you are looking for, I have following to offer

Option 1 - License + bank account - $10,000
Option 2 Complete Forex brokerage setup - $15,000 (initial), $750 per month.
Option 3 - License + bank account + Forex brokerage setup - $25,000 (initial), $750 per month.

PS:
a) Monthly fees is payable/charged by Metaquotes, not by us.
b) If you proceed to setup your brokerage firm with Boston Technologies, it will cost $10,000 more than what we can do. Also, you will be placed on the same server on which about 12 other brokers will be placed. However, with us, it will be just 1 more broker apart from you (thus better and faster operations).

An alert for those who are starting their forex journey: http://www.forex4noobs.com/forex-blog/forex-tips/shady-forex-brokers-dont-get-scammed-by/

A sure 100% recipe for slippage, requotes and Boston Plugin frauds...

Attachments

Last edited:
hey guys, come on. the RBI came out very clearly and said 'forex trading in india is illegal'. so you don't have to decipher any of the hard to understand legal language. here is the link to the news article about it:

http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2011-02-21/news/28618054_1_forex-trade-portals

so I dont understand why there is still confusion and people talking about becoming a lawyer or a trader. you don't have to become a lawyer, the RBI clearly came out in the open and said it is ILLEGAL!

but having said that, many people are still trading it seems. maybe they are not enforcing the laws so heavily in this regard. hopefully they will ease the restrictions and not do the opposite!

I also agree however that there is too much focus in these forums about whether it is legal or not, and it takes away from actually learning about forex trading, whihc I find very interesting. I'll be honest, i have traded forex however both times I have lost my accounts, first time within a couple days, second time (2 years later) i did much better, but stil ended up losing my entire account after 3 months...... am saving to try again hopefully in the near future.

back to the discussion about the legality, i also found this site where they have good dicsussion about forex trading in india and a good beginners introduction to forex

Good luck to you for trading with a mauritius based broker.

A recent advertisement:

Start your own forex brokerage

Hello,

I own a Financial Services Commission (Mauritius) regulated Forex brokerage company. The company is dually registered and licensed to accept client deposits and provide brokerage services (market making permitted).

Exact license type GBL1.

Along with the company, corporate bank acc opening with Mauritius Commercial Bank (biggest bank in Mauritius), goes free of cost (usually charged at $500).

Free inclusions
Auditing for year 2011.
Registered Office, Registered Agent, Secretary for 2011.
Tax Filling for year 2011

If anyone is interested in setting up the entire business as independent forex brokerage firm, we can set it up for you. It would be in full capability (you can be counterparty for your clients or make the market, provide them STP etc). Platform will be MT4 or MT5 with your companys brand name.

Depending upon what you are looking for, I have following to offer

Option 1 - License + bank account - $10,000
Option 2 Complete Forex brokerage setup - $15,000 (initial), $750 per month.
Option 3 - License + bank account + Forex brokerage setup - $25,000 (initial), $750 per month.

PS:
a) Monthly fees is payable/charged by Metaquotes, not by us.
b) If you proceed to setup your brokerage firm with Boston Technologies, it will cost $10,000 more than what we can do. Also, you will be placed on the same server on which about 12 other brokers will be placed. However, with us, it will be just 1 more broker apart from you (thus better and faster operations).

An alert for those who are starting their forex journey: http://www.forex4noobs.com/forex-blog/forex-tips/shady-forex-brokers-dont-get-scammed-by/

A sure 100% recipe for slippage, requotes and Boston Plugin frauds...
are you saying they are scammers. because i was able to withdraw my money on more than one occasion.

if you see it that way, all forex brokers are scammers and no one should trade forex.

if they decide the price and you don't like them , you can always move to another brokers.. you are not locked in you know.

are you saying they are scammers. because i was able to withdraw my money on more than one occasion.

if you see it that way, all forex brokers are scammers and no one should trade forex.

if they decide the price and you don't like them , you can always move to another brokers.. you are not locked in you know.
I don't know. I just shared how easy it is to open a forex brokerage in Mauritius!
Even MF Global allowed withdrawal before filing for bankruptcy. Sharing info does not mean accusing anyone as scammer imho.