General Trading Chat

deba72

NEW DELHI (Reuters) - The Indian government on Wednesday raised the limit for foreign investment in the country's stock exchanges to 15 percent from 5 percent, saying the change would enhance India's global competitiveness and boost its capital markets.

India also approved a proposal that will allow foreign portfolio investors to acquire shares when they are initially offered for sale, as in an IPO, and not just on the secondary market
Instead of all these token measures, Govt should introspect why the OI in SGX Nifty is higher than Nifty Future in NSE ... and work towards reducing transaction costs in Indian exchanges.. For last 10 years there is no growth in cash market volume either..

princy01

Instead of all these token measures, Govt should introspect why the OI in SGX Nifty is higher than Nifty Future in NSE ... and work towards reducing transaction costs in Indian exchanges.. For last 10 years there is no growth in cash market volume either..
Can you show all of us here, that indeed oi in sgx Nifty is higher?

Or its a blind arrow in the dark?

Do you know nse open interest of nifty future? Do you have slightlest of idea?

I am saying because I think sgx oi is not even 5% of nse India , so you got to prove this non sense statement

One strong statement(however wrong and plain false) from an ignorant person, and 5 other ignorant people liked it, it's just amazingly funny

Last edited:

DSM

This is from 2014....

Open interest on the Nifty futures in the Singapore Exchange (SGX) has risen to more than double the total OI in the domestic Nifty futures markets, traded on the National Stock Exchange (NSE). The Nifty is the NSE's benchmark index. Open interest is the number of derivative contracts yet to be settled. The total value of the OI positions of Nifty futures on the SGX stood at Rs 31,572 crore compared to the Rs 12,347 crore on the NSE, according to analysis by Business Standard.

Apart from the dollar-denomination advantage, the tax paid for trading in the Singapore market is almost a fourth of that in the Indian market, as no statutory levies are applicable there. At present, SGX Nifty futures contribute to 70 per cent of the total value of the contracts but is responsible for generating only 25 per cent of the volumes, says one expert. This is because of the difference between the value of each contract in the domestic Nifty futures and the SGX Nifty futures. At $2 a contract and assuming Rs 60 to a dollar, the total value of a contract in the SGX Nifty amounts to Rs 120 multiplied by the Nifty value for the day. In the domestic market, the value of a contract is Rs 50 multiplied by the Nifty value for the day. By this calculation alone, the SGX Nifty generates far more value on a low-volume base as compared to the Indian market.

Source : http://www.business-standard.com/article/markets/sgx-nifty-futures-volumes-jump-114071701112_1.html

I am saying because I think sgx oi is not even 5% of nse India , so you got to prove this non sense statement

One strong statement(however wrong and plain false) from an ignorant person, and 5 other ignorant people liked it, it's just amazingly funny

deba72

Don't try to interpret the word literally.

And think twice BEFORE you call someone ignorant ! It only paints you in poor light ...

For Aug Futures, total OI in NSE for NF is approx 1.13 lakh crore ( value ) while the SGX OI stands at 31k crore. All the OI in SGX are from FPI/FII whereas in NSE a good portion of the OI belongs to DII / HNI / retail. Due to high transaction costs ( and also trading hours ), FPIs shifted their major exposure to SGX which otherwise would have come to India. And we are talking here to bring capital to India !

Cash market volumes have actually dwindled over last 10 years. So my point was that Govt should try to work towards rationalizing the cost structures here to attract more FPI rather than indulging in tokenism.

Do you know any country which charges a tax like STT or CTT ?

Last edited:

princy01

Try to trade based on not so literally meaning of world

Short when you get a long signal and long when you get short signal, you will understand the importance of correct interpretation of things

rip07

Not nice words my friend, Deba is a respected member of our community and so you are and others. We should respect each other point of view. If you differ you can politely ask, I am sure he will love to clarify your doubt.

Now lets talk about Deba's point, He never mentioned that SGX nifty compare to NSE. He mentioned SGX Nifty compare to NIFTY NSE.

Second point, if you aware about timing NSE NFITY trades 6.5 hours in a day, but SGX NIFTY trades 16 hours in a day. For reference you can google about it.

Third point may be this old newspaper article helps you

"Open interest on the Nifty futures in the Singapore Exchange (SGX) has surged. These have risen to more than double the total OI in the domestic Nifty futures markets, traded on the National Stock Exchange (NSE). "

Hope it will help.

Thanks
rip07

Fed keeps rates unchanged, says risks to outlook reduced

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Federal Reserve left interest rates unchanged on Wednesday but said near-term risks to the U.S. economic outlook had diminished, opening the door to a resumption of monetary policy tightening this year.

The U.S. central bank said the economy had expanded at a moderate rate and job gains were strong in June. It added that household spending also had been "growing strongly," and pointed to an increase in labor utilization.

While Fed policymakers said they continued to closely monitor inflation data and global economic and financial developments, they indicated less worry about possible shocks that could push the U.S. economy off course.

excerpt from investing.com

deba72

In fact I quoted wrong figure in my earlier post..

Nifty Aug OI in NSE = 17,736,975 *8500 = Approx 15000 Crore INR

SGX Aug OI = 258000*8500*67 = Approx 15000 crore INR

So it is roughly 50 :50

Please correct me if this is wrong...

Last edited:

princy01

Respond to the chart posted by DSM and don't avoid the topic... There are smarter people on earth..
will get a detailed reply later after market if needed

however nifty future is nothing without options trading if you see the big picture , so dont be myopic in your view see the big picture watch out today options volume for reference and also watch out for combined total oi of options too today before markets .

i trade options more than futures due to highest possible liquidity