How to trade with an oscillator

murthyavr

Murthy, the following old posts might remind you of some early lessons by ST on hidden divergence. :)
EagleOne,

Thanks for your post and for searching for an older post.

Yes, I know about hidden divergences. My post was specifically aimed at finding
out whether the second trough (where divergence was marked) can be really
treated as a trough. In fact this post of mine was a follow-up of one post
earlier to that!

I always used to struggle to remember all the four types of divergences until
I came across this mantra: :)

Hope the above will be useful to some of us!

EagleOne

Thanks Murthy for the 'mantra'. Good one.
BTW, I didn't make any special effort to search the old posts. I saw your mininifty chart, and the damn thing just flashed in my mind! So I retrieved the posts for my gentle friend - you. :)

And also, there is always a trough as long as there is an amplitude - howsoever microscopic. Besides, on 5 min chart I wouldn't ignore a tiny 4 point candle wick even! It is worth Rs 200, you know... :p

Hey, you take care. See you around. Good night

rangarajan

Market just drifted down...I dont see any divergence here...

Always use price action.....dont depend on oscillators as primary trading tool...use them as supporting tool.

Few people trade patterns on indicators....but I have not found them very tradeable....

Smart_trade
Divergence:Around 10am,when the Stoch was at 60,stock was at 276(approx from the still chart)
Subseuently,when Stoch was above 80 around 14.10,the stockwas at 260.Higher high on stoch & LL on stock.In between these periods,Stoch made Higher Lows. So,i thought,the stock may go up,ignoring the value 80 for Stoch & bought on slight retracement.
Pl discuss as to whether my understanding of divergence is correct.
Whether the above is divergence at all & if not,what is the mistake.
Pl elaborate on the price actions u r often discussing.

murthyavr

Divergence:Around 10am,when the Stoch was at 60,stock was at 276(approx from the still chart)
Subseuently,when Stoch was above 80 around 14.10,the stockwas at 260.Higher high on stoch & LL on stock.In between these periods,Stoch made Higher Lows. So,i thought,the stock may go up,ignoring the value 80 for Stoch & bought on slight retracement.
Pl discuss as to whether my understanding of divergence is correct.
Whether the above is divergence at all & if not,what is the mistake.
Pl elaborate on the price actions u r often discussing.
Dear Rangarajan,

Divergences are looked for, when the stoch makes a new peak. Or when it makes
a new trough. The new peaks or the new troughs on Stoch are connected and
then we look whether price also behaved in a similar way. If not, we call it
a divergence.

In your case, as far as I understand, you are trying to compare stoch with
price on a point-to-point basis. "Stoch was xx.xx at 10:40, price was xxxx.xx,
then stoch was xx.xx at 12:00, then price was xxxx.xx" is a P2P analysis,
and the traditional way of looking at divergences doesn't operate like this.

For a better as well as basic understanding on divergences, the following will
be of great help.

Stoch Divergences

rangarajan

Dear Rangarajan,

Divergences are looked for, when the stoch makes a new peak. Or when it makes
a new trough. The new peaks or the new troughs on Stoch are connected and
then we look whether price also behaved in a similar way. If not, we call it
a divergence.

In your case, as far as I understand, you are trying to compare stoch with
price on a point-to-point basis. "Stoch was xx.xx at 10:40, price was xxxx.xx,
then stoch was xx.xx at 12:00, then price was xxxx.xx" is a P2P analysis,
and the traditional way of looking at divergences doesn't operate like this.

For a better as well as basic understanding on divergences, the following will
be of great help.

Stoch Divergences
Thank u murthy.
I will go thro the topic & revert.

poortrader

Hi Murthy,
As per my understanding the ANTI SYSTEM goes like this. I hope ST will give his inputs.
ANTI SYSTEM

It is basically a quick trade setup.The profits are ideally taken in 2-4 bars (for intraday it will translate to 10-20minutes of action based on 5 min bars)

The setup relies on the trend of %D, and the %K gives the entry point.
Once you identify a trend in % D then look for a correction /pullback of 2-3 bars in %K. When % K turns the direction of %D again after this small
correction/pullback then is the time to enter.
Stops are important for this quick trade, you can draw trendlines to confirm the trades, and put SL below the recent swing low/bar of entry.

In the book Street Smarts the suggested value of %D and % K for this sytem are seven period %K smoothing by 4, and 10 period % D (the slow line determining the trend and also the long/short side of the trade)

Hook in this system
%K hooks up, the meaning is that %K goes opposite to the trend of %D for 2-3 bars and then turns back towards the %D trend, thereby forming something like a hook

Important
With this setup, the slope of the %D will identify the trend of the momentum. The best trades occur when the %K corrects back at least two to three bars.
Dear ST,

Thanks for your prompt clarification.

I am posting today's MINIFTY chart here.

If you notice the line on the oscillator, the second trough is not actually a trough
in the strict sense, but this divergence gave about 40 points.

Now:

1. Is this an exception ?

2. Or, is it because of the hook made by %K on %D?
(You promised sometime back on this HOOK method, and I hope you will find
some time for that.. :) )

Thanks,

Hi Murthy,
As per my understanding the ANTI SYSTEM goes like this. I hope ST will give his inputs.
ANTI SYSTEM

It is basically a quick trade setup.The profits are ideally taken in 2-4 bars (for intraday it will translate to 10-20minutes of action based on 5 min bars)

The setup relies on the trend of %D, and the %K gives the entry point.
Once you identify a trend in % D then look for a correction /pullback of 2-3 bars in %K. When % K turns the direction of %D again after this small
correction/pullback then is the time to enter.
Stops are important for this quick trade, you can draw trendlines to confirm the trades, and put SL below the recent swing low/bar of entry.

In the book Street Smarts the suggested value of %D and % K for this sytem are seven period %K smoothing by 4, and 10 period % D (the slow line determining the trend and also the long/short side of the trade)

Hook in this system
%K hooks up, the meaning is that %K goes opposite to the trend of %D for 2-3 bars and then turns back towards the %D trend, thereby forming something like a hook

Important
With this setup, the slope of the %D will identify the trend of the momentum. The best trades occur when the %K corrects back at least two to three bars.
Yes Poortrader...you are absolutely right....great going.

Anti is a method based on hook...please put up 1-2 charts explaining the set up and entry as you have understood it correctly.

Hook basically is nothing new....we identify a direction of the trend on slope of % D line.....suppose it is going up....we look for a antitrend move on %k a small downward corrective move of 2-3 bars....and then the last corrective bar's high is taken out, we go long with a stop of the low of that last corrective bar...and ride the main trend which is up. This is a very short term method and we take profits in next 3-4 bars but the risk is small so it gives good RR trades.

Smart_trade