Indian Trading League / SAMCO

headstrong007

----- Full-Time ----- Day-Trader
Why this thread is dying... no participation after the real challenge start... :confused:

I wonder why so called consistent winners of this virtual(unreal?) world of Traderji can't compete in such yearly completion...backed by CNBC Awaz?? Even with 5-20% consistent monthly profit, any one can go to the top 10 of the list by the year end,,,if not champion...

Where are the real Trader jis??

Perhaps I am the only one still competing there successfully...:eek:

cloudTrader

Why this thread is dying... no participation after the real challenge start... :confused:

I wonder why so called consistent winners of this virtual(unreal?) world of Traderji can't compete in such yearly completion...backed by CNBC Awaz?? Even with 5-20% consistent monthly profit, any one can go to the top 10 of the list by the year end,,,if not champion...

Where are the real Trader jis??

Perhaps I am the only one still competing there successfully...:eek:
Why in your opinion , these are so-called winners ? :eek:

20% monthly is 240% for the year, the monthly winners are doing 200%

Why this thread is dying... no participation after the real challenge start...

Even with 5-20% consistent monthly profit, anyone can go to the top 10 of the list by the year end,,,if not champion...

[/I][/SIZE]
@headstrong007

I am a new trader little confused on profit assessment per month/day, Hence this query.

What do you mean by 5-20% consistent monthly profit?

Case 1. You mean to say that if I trade with 1 Lakh x 1 Trade per day, so a .5% per day means Rs. 500 net profit per day.

As per case 1. tradings 22 days in a month means 11% per month or Rs. 11,000 a month profit.
Correct?

Case 2. 1 Lakh x 2 Trade = .15% each trade =.30%
1 Lakh x 1 Trade = .20%

so Total 3 Trades and Net Total profit = .15% + .15% +.20% = Rs.500

Or the case 2 where 3 Lakh @ .5% = Rs 1500

Which Case is fair assessment of profit per day?

On a side note, what do you think of a per day profit scenario percentage for an average profitable trader should be?

@Leonid @Timepass @DSM @SmartTrade and all seniors pls add value to the query.

Regards

DSM

Id4Trade,

Irrespective of capital, one has to trade :

1. Having a level of comfort in open position.

2. Some days, (sideways range) only a small part of the capital may be deployed.

3. In strong and clear trend, one may trade will full capital and further leverage.

4. Traders have different methodologies. One may trade only X no of position for intraday trades.

5. Some traders have a target in mind, and reduce position or stop trading once the target is met or a certain level of SL is triggered.

6. In my view, what others do or achieve should be immaterial, as all traders have different capital, strategies and mindsets.

7. While one can look for other traders for inspiration, it's better to focus on self and try to better self each day. There are many ways to go about this - Analysis of trades made, trading only reliable setups, limiting no of trades each day, noting down mistakes in a journal and reviewing it daily etc. etc....

Not sure if this answers your query, but just sharing my thoughts....

@headstrong007

I am a new trader little confused on profit assessment per month/day, Hence this query.

Case 1. You mean to say that if I trade with 1 Lakh x 1 Trade per day, so a .5% per day means Rs. 500 net profit per day.

As per case 1. tradings 22 days in a month means 11% per month or Rs. 11,000 a month profit.
Correct?

Case 2. 1 Lakh x 2 Trade = .15% each trade =.30%
1 Lakh x 1 Trade = .20%

so Total 3 Trades and Net Total profit = .15% + .15% +.20% = Rs.500

Or the case 2 where 3 Lakh @ .5% = Rs 1500

Which Case is fair assessment of profit per day?

On a side note, what do you think of a per day profit scenario percentage for an average profitable trader should be?

Regards
Id4Trade,

Irrespective of capital, one has to trade :

1. Having a level of comfort in open position.

2. Some days, (sideways range) only a small part of the capital may be deployed.

3. In strong and clear trend, one may trade will full capital and further leverage.

4. Traders have different methodologies. One may trade only X no of position for intraday trades.

5. Some traders have a target in mind, and reduce position or stop trading once the target is met or a certain level of SL is triggered.

6. In my view, what others do or achieve should be immaterial, as all traders have different capital, strategies and mindsets.

7. While one can look for other traders for inspiration, it's better to focus on self and try to better self each day. There are many ways to go about this - Analysis of trades made, trading only reliable setups, limiting no of trades each day, noting down mistakes in a journal and reviewing it daily etc. etc....

Not sure if this answers your query, but just sharing my thoughts....
Dear @DSM,
Thankyou for the guiding light, I do follow most of the above said points.

But still what should be deemed as a fair profit percentage per day / per trade for an intraday trader.

I will honestly tell you my case, If i stop trading after my first half percentage win, then I might be a winner everyday.

But then I am still in learning mode and trying to increase my per day profit percentage, so I test a lot of different setups and then that half percent win go to loss.

Also I am curious on what should be an average fair profit book percentage per day /per trade?
Like currently I only try to get into trades where I can book minimum 2% profit. Here again if, and when I only go for simple vanilla .5-.7% profit opportunities I am a winner 8 out of 10 times.
But in this scenario, I have to increase my number of trade to increase my per day profit, more trade mean more risk.

Since I am in learning mode hence try all combinations, but later in life will eventually settle for a certain percentage of profit book and look/hunt for only those.

Hence asking what you seniors feel is the average percentage profit book opportunities available in market generally and should be called realistic and achievable per day / per trade.

DSM

Thanks id4trade,

1. Glad you are doing well in trading even though you consider yourself a beginner/learner. Having this mindset, is a way of the winner.... as one is constantly observing, learning and adapting to the changing markets and times....

2. What is a fair amount of profit per day is difficult to say. For an experience trader, in a well trending market 5 figure return is very much possible, while on days the market remains in a narrow range, it would be good to scalp 1-2 or 3 thousand. On such days, even going home positive is good, as it means one has understood the market, and not taken unnecessary risk or traders.

3. How much a trader can make in a day overall should be answered in the context of being able to follow all the signals, and rules. However, many times there are contradictory signals... stocks may seem to breakout, but in reality they may be face resistance and reverse. Here, flexibility and good risk money management comes into play. And this comes from experience. Which going back to the question of returns will vary - depending upon instruments traded, and % of capital used.

4. You have not mentioned instruments you trade in... as returns will vary if one is trading plain vanilla stocks, or stock/index futures or options.

5. Alike you, I too used to stop or restrict trading rest of the day after meeting meeting the target, but many times, markets give opportunities which we must take.... So in the former case (where one stops trading after meeting targets) the returns will be consistent, however, if one is trading for full session, the returns will surely vary.

6. Finally, one cannot have a fixed target every day irrespective of market conditions - unless the targets or returns are much lesser compared the capital.

7. And to answer your question - It is my view that a trader with 5 years of more of experience must be able make atleast 50,000/per month (depending upon the capital... But while one is in a learning stage, it is o.k. even if one is profitable for 2/3 weeks and for the month. As long as the head remains above the water it is fine... It means the trader follows good money and risk management plan.... So during the learning phase, even 3, 5, 7 or 10 thousand, on a capital of 1 lac.... are all good returns.

8. Just to add : A trader will master trading and discipline when having a small capital. This is a must in my view. Just like a person who has learnt driving, cannot be handed over keys to a sports bike or a sports car, a trader will be forced by the circumstances to trade small and with discipline with a small capital. And in the case of not doing so, blowing a smaller trading account will cause less psychological and financial damage while reinforcing the lessons, and will enable the trader to get back on to his feet and trade without blowing out large sums of his resources. So target in the initial phase should be consistency, good risk management, and execution of strategy.

Just my view...

Dear @DSM,
Thankyou for the guiding light, I do follow most of the above said points.

But still what should be deemed as a fair profit percentage per day / per trade for an intraday trader.

I will honestly tell you my case, If i stop trading after my first half percentage win, then I might be a winner everyday.

But then I am still in learning mode and trying to increase my per day profit percentage, so I test a lot of different setups and then that half percent win go to loss.

Also I am curious on what should be an average fair profit book percentage per day /per trade?
Like currently I only try to get into trades where I can book minimum 2% profit. Here again if, and when I only go for simple vanilla .5-.7% profit opportunities I am a winner 8 out of 10 times.
But in this scenario, I have to increase my number of trade to increase my per day profit, more trade mean more risk.

Since I am in learning mode hence try all combinations, but later in life will eventually settle for a certain percentage of profit book and look/hunt for only those.

Hence asking what you seniors feel is the average percentage profit book opportunities available in market generally and should be called realistic and achievable per day / per trade.

If you average 1% per session, you double your capital in 70 sessions. So, if begin with Rs. 25000, you can increase it to 50000 in about 3.5 months. Even if you consider 0.5% per session, it doubles in 7 months, and quadruples in about 11 months.

The key is consistency.

However, this is a question which bugs nearly all the traders at various levels. So, I think, that for the day traders, it is a good score if you can profit 0.1 x ATR(10) of whichever scrip you are trading.

Any thoughts on this as a target for day trading ?

Contra

Instead of looking at daily or weekly gains/losses and reacting to them, I feel it is more productive to look at your performance on the following time frames:

Once every 15 days
Once a month (30 days)
Once a quarter (90 days)
Half-yearly (180 days)
Annual (365 days)

These cover both short-term and long term markers of performance and give you better cues of where you're headed and if any course correction is required.

Secondly, I try to lock into fixed monthly targets for trades (e.g., 100 pts a month in Nifty or 6 pts a month in Zinc, wherever possible, just to give examples). Once I reach these targets, I stop trading for the month in that particular instrument. Doing so will help you keep the gains you've already made.

Keep a big picture view of "what you need to gain in a month" and it'll be a more productive & fluid approach.