journey of a trader

oilman5

some collection i believe to be true
...The 24 Most Important Rules Of Trading

1. Always Cut your losses and let your profits run. Take small losses and large wins.
2. Once you have defined the trend, trade only in that direction.
3. Always have a game plane. Never enter a trade unless you know where you should get in and where you should get out.
4. Always use a protective stop to limit your losses.
5. Be patient. Wait for the right opportunities. Don't just trade for the sake of trading.
6. If the reason you entered the trade is no longer there, get out.
7. Do your homework. By the time you enter a trade you should already know what you are going to do and what you expect from the trade. Placing a trade should be the easiest part of trading. If you are still trying to work things out when you enter the trade you are not ready for that trade.
8. If your method of trading is working, don't change it.
9. The market is never too high to buy or to low to sell.
10. Every trader has losses, don't let your losses get to you psychologically.
11. There is no such thing as an indicator that is a 100% right all the time. Use common sense along with your method of trading. If your indicators are telling you one thing but the market is obviously doing something else, listen to the market.
12. The market is always right.
13. Use money management in your trading.
14. Only trade markets you are sufficiently capitalized for.
15. Never trade with money you cannot afford to lose.
16. Be disciplined.
17. If you hit your target profit, take it. Don't get greedy and hope that you will make more.
18. Don't try and regain all your losses in one trade.
19. Don't blindly follow someone else's recommendations. Do your own homework.
20. If it's not going well, take a break for a few days or weeks. Make sure you are in the right psychological frame of mind before you start trading again.

21. Don't trade to many markets. It's better to be an expert in one market than a novice in many.
22. Never meet a margin call. If you have a margin call it means something went wrong with your trade.
23. By the time everyone knows it's a bull or bear market, it's probably to late.
24. Loses in trading have no bearing on you as a person

collection of DILSEFX

oilman5

While surfing the net, i found this intresteing article .

1. Trade for success, not for money.

Your motivation should be first and foremost to make a well-executed trade. If money alone is your motivation you will severely limit your chance of success. Why? Because focusing on money will raise all kinds of emotional issues, from fear to greed. It will make you afraid of losses to the point that you will abandon your discipline. It will tempt you to trade too often, too large and with too much risk. Whereas if you focus on making solid, well-executed trades - even if the result is a losing trade that you exit quickly - you will reinforce your discipline and increase your trading potential.

2. Discipline is the one quality that all traders must possess above all others.

The ability to master your mind, your body and your emotions is the key to trading. The disciplined trader - regardless of profit or loss - comes back to trade another day. A great intellect, the ability to take on risk, or even a sense that you're somehow 'lucky' mean nothing without discipline. For a trader, discipline means the ability to devise a trading plan, execute according to that plan, and to never deviate from that plan.

3. Know yourself.

Do you break out in a cold sweat at the mere thought of risking something - such as your own capital? Do you think of trading like 'gambling,' a long shot to make a million? Or can you handle risk in a disciplined fashion, knowing how much is 'too much' for both your capital and your constitution?

Trading is not for everyone. If risk makes you ill, on the one hand, or if taking a risk brings out the recklessness in you, then trading is probably not for you. But if you can handle risk with discipline, then perhaps you can find a vocation or avocation as a trader. Only you can answer that question.

4. Lose your ego.

No matter how much success you enjoy as a trader, you'll never outsmart the market. If you think you can, you're in for a very humbling experience. The market rules, always, and for everyone.

You need to silence your ego in order to listen to the market, to follow what your technical analysis is indicating - and not what your intellect (and your ego) think should happen. To trade effectively, you need to put yourself aside. At the same time, you cannot be so emotionally fragile that unprofitable trades shatter your confidence. Don't be crushed by the market, but don't ever think you've mastered it, either.

5. There's no such thing as hoping, wishing or praying.
I've seen too many traders staring panic-stricken at the computer screen and begging the market to move their way. Why? Because they have lost their discipline and allowed what was a small loss to turn into a much bigger one. They keep hanging on, hoping, wishing and praying for things to turn around. The reality is on the screen. When the market hits your stop-loss level (the price at which you'll cut your losses at a pre-determined level), get out.

6. Let your profits run and cut your losses quickly.

When the market goes against you and you hit your pre-determined stop, exit the trade. Period. Exit when the loss is a small one. Then reevaluate your strategy and execute a new trade. Keeping your losses small will keep you in the game. Profits take care of themselves, as long as you execute according to your plan. When you place a trade, know in advance where you'll exit for a profit. When the market reaches that level, exit the position. If your technical analysis tells you the market still has some room to move, then scale out of the position. But execute according to your plan. Remember, you'll never go broke taking a profit.

7. Know when to trade and when to wait.

Trade when your analysis, your system and your strategy say that you have a buy or sell to execute. If the market doesn't have a clear direction, then wait on the sidelines until it does. Keep your mind on the market, but keep your money out of it.
. Love your losers like you love your winners.

Losing trades will be your best teachers. When you have a losing trade, it's because of some flaw in your analysis or your judgment. Or perhaps the market simply didn't do what you thought it would. When you have a losing trade, something is out of sync with the market. Examine what went wrong - objectively - then adjust your thinking, if necessary, and enter the trade again.

9. After three losing trades in a row, take a break.

This is not the time to take on more risk, but rather to become extremely disciplined. Sit on the sidelines for a while. Watch the market. Clear your head. Re-evaluate your strategy, and then put on another trade. Losses can shake your confidence and tempt you to become emotional (fear/greed) But if you take a break, you can gather your wits and regain your composure more quickly than if you become very emotional and angry at yourself and the market.

10. The unbreakable rule.

You can break a rule and get away with it once in a while. But one day, the rules will break you. If you continually violate these 'commandments' of trading, you will eventually pay for it with your profits. That's the unbreakable rule. If you have trouble with any of them, come back and read this one. Then read it again.

oilman5

1. Loss of opportunity is preferable to loss of capital.

There was a time when I felt it was my duty to be personally involved in every wrinkle of the S&P. I've traded this market since it's inception in 82. It took quite a while for me to realise that picking safe, readable, and high probability winning trades was the way to go.

2. Use Logical Profit Objectives for all positions.

The concept of using and executing LPOs is one of the most important I know of. It keeps your percentage of winning trades high and gets you back to the computer the next day. Everyone enjoys a pay day. With the correct concepts this is something you can do.

3. Place your Logical Profit Objectives in the market ahead of time. Markets are squirrelly animals. If you know how to calculate your profit objectives, get them in the market ahead of market action. If you wait for the alert to go off, hoping to capture more, it's likely the market will move away from your exit before you have time to execute your order.

4. Enter markets on retracements.

Don't buy new highs or sell new lows. Wait for the market to come to you. Precalculate your entries and be patient. If you miss the move another bus will come by shortly.

5. Above all, follow your trading plan
Having a clearly defined trading plan is the single most important aspect of profitable speculation. Never trade without one and once you have it, following it is more important than any single profit or loss.

6. Trade quietly.

With the exception of a mentor, tell no one about your positions, profits, or losses. Especially those close to you, like your wife, husband, or friends. This self-gratification process or sharing process puts you under psychological pressure to win on every trade and can be a primary reason for failure to follow your plan.

7. Don't carry a sizeable position while traveling.

It will catch you!! The laptop won't work. The hotel internet connection will break. The cell phone battery will run out. The plane won't land! I know you'll try it anyway. It's good for the markets, we need to spread the money around a bit.

8. 'You are only one trade away from humility.'

For over 15 years this tattered hand-written sign, scrawled with bold black strokes with a magic marker, has hung over my trading table. A swelled head does not belong on a trader's shoulders.

9. Add to your knowledge before attempting to add to your wallet.

this is good rule
oilman5

oilman5

a person if plans to come to stock market...
must decide first...what to choose...a pro's path..
an amateur's approach of part time...

NONE OF THEM ARE EASY..................
here..i find CV....IS A PRO
SH50 IS AN AM AMATEUR

i have a plan to move little bit them [copy paste their view so that ordinarymortal can follow them]

after development of your interest in market..u must check whether u suit here or not.....
pentagonal peg and 5sided hole...an easy ? quick check up pt...

1]your risk profile...market risk concept
2]your fund...your plan increase it ..proper utilisation of fund,when to sit idle....when to play aggressive
3]your knowledge bank...steadily u have to increase..judicious use of it
4] understanding market shalloffer oppurtunity...patience and discipline your two weapon
5] a stable analysis power , when to play PREDICTABILITY when to
use RANDOMNESS

OILMAN5

Last edited:

oilman5

after this test u have to ...say yes,to
ALL
....OR MODIFY YOU...
GIVE TIME IT MAY BE SOME YR, or simply quit...
indian defence dont take who not fit their criteria

so now comes your journey as trading cadet
u r lucky, if u r in trading industry.., U can make all experiment in others money
sharpening your skill without self injury. commited money here and there
a good senior . can help you a lot......
or join a correspondence course. like me test your idea on market.
market shall teach u by PROFIT /loss ..howfar u learned

EVALUATE IN YOUR DIARY AND YOUR FEELING /HOW FAR u have modify your poor habit..
some exceptional HELP U MAY GET....OTHERS FROM TOP READILY GIVE ADVISE, if they think u have capability...in a puzzle..[i doubt after reading this 90% loss of episode in traderji forum..an MP CHAP STORY]
OILMAN5

Last edited:

oilman5

SO SKELITON IS FORMED....
now other thing r easy...[patience man , still u reqd. some yr]

next step...
open your past trade report........
on what condition u trade right..
on what time u have best profit utilisation
day...high low range..
week ..5 day high low
3week 15 day high low..
2month 40day high low....
.....................this way it can go..
BASIC IDEA IS YOUR PROFIT/ HIGH..LOW..OF THAT TIME FRAME
THIS IS YOUR EFFICIENCY....[ SHOULD BE >30%]

IF BELOW 30, ENJOY AMATEUR STATUS..NEVER DREAM BIG...
now check wrong part of trade...
how far its for silly reason...
i]like believing infallibility..of an indicator...
ii] sudden lack of concentration on OTHER PRIORITY of life

can u eliminate? condition of when NOT TO TRADE...

SO u r developing an approach..
stick with your winning habit...
throwing out..unproductive one...

NOW COME OPTIMISATION OF YOUR APPROACH
AT WHAT PREMISES U TRADE BETTER...
AT WHAT STOP LOSS STYLE...STOP % ..YOUR OVERALL RETURN IS GOOD
SIMPLY STICK ON IT....
this process atleast 1yr

oilman5

now comes imp aspect of trading
its not trading but timemanagement..and stress control
your daily routine...
how far u r discipline ..in personal life..
how far u can take stress...know your elasticity band

your time management skill...alotted time for study
study market...
analysis for trade...
scanning of idea. based on news...
stock scanning based on chart..
plan of action what other trader may plan ..how far they follow u after entry..
what r DANGER ALERM signal?

here actually pro beats amateur easily

pro sees reality..amateur eyes mostly with spec of greed/fear/hope..
pro study 3-4 hr... amateur hardly 2hr
pro watches market, improving would have,could have..for 6hr a day..
amateur..some phone call, others version..some momentarysnap decision...
no man no match ...only watchable..foolish young pro vs..exprienced
visionary amateur..
back to tm...for an amateur..two hr per day+ 3hr on holiday...
time utilisation of 2hr...
what your favourite indicator telling
what close price indicating..
any particular sector has any new fundamental improvement..
sudden volume surge why??
so 2 hr is over....
but pro...NOW CREATE A SUITABLE PLAN TO EARN MONEY..
A WINNING STRATEGY...AND ITS TACTICAL IMPLEMENTATION
DURING MARKET HR FOR NEXT DAY....

for amateur...week end study..must...
to study new implementable idea..
bill analysis..why u enter and exit aparticular trade...

how u would have used your mm technique..to make more profit...
i definitely suggest NEVER TO USE MARGIN in 1st 3 yr of trading..
a simple idea..use 50% money idle..add aggressively on winner only

oilman5

oilman5

stock scan model
volume + price increment...definitely good model

for momentum player..aggressive style..
for swing trader.. swing indicator better..
keep an eye on nifty..and fii money flow..

rbi policy..
result out play plan must be planned in detail before it comes..
so that u can execute..as and when necessary depending upon your risk appetite..

oilman5

oilman5

all of us know..exit is imp ......
i personally feel implementation of exit must be studied in detail..
its just like postmortem...atleast 1month..after..day trade...
3month after swing trade

in a cool brain no distorted vision...u can judge your trade strength

REGARDING INVESTMENT CONCEPT..
CNBC-TV18..HAVE DONE EXCELLENT CD COMPILATION..
JUST FOLOW IT..[U MUST BUY]

oilman5

SYUDYING YOUR MISTAKE
its another imp place for self improvement...
FORTUNATELY..MANY CLASSICS R AVAILABLE
JUST READ THEM....

SEARCH HOW MANY MISTAKE U FOLLOW now...
just try LEVEL BEST to eliminate them...ONE AT A TIME...
IF ITS MORE THAN 5, SIMPLY TURN BACK FROM INVEST & TRADE ARENA...
consider GRAPES R SOUR...
BELIEVE ME IT SHALL SAVE YOUR TIME & LIFE...
in personal journey i have seen around 300 old experimental veteran
ask any failed attempt..ias candidate...if he ever open his/her heart..
...........u shall understand[ i have my part]

oilman5