Life Changing Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitrandive

FUTURE SHOCK is a book my father read ! :) He used to say that the Future that the author foresaw was already upon the world ! I never read it. :eek: Maybe dig it out and read ! Maybe its still relevant ! :p
Umesh

Some books are timeless and the content in them is valid for any generation.
The content and ideas in Future Shock are still valid.

augubhai

A lot of books/movies have influenced me, but here are the most important books that impacted my thoughts:

1. The Bible: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible
I read this when I was in primary school to understand my religion better. I think I read almost half of the old testament before I gave up. I was a pretty devout Christian until I read the Bible :D

2. The Communist Manifesto: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Communist_Manifesto
A very small booklet. I read this just before the USSR fell. This gave me a whole new worldview. This book gave me the idea that there are more than one way to view things that we take for granted - society, family, religion, economics.

3. The Mind and its Control: https://archive.org/details/MindAndItsControlBySwamiBudhananda
I received 2 small booklets by Swami Budhananda along with some ICFAI study material. I have no clue about how this was sent along with the study material. Anyway, this helped me understand that I could be my own psychotherapist. This is based on the Bhagvad Gita, and though I am anti-religion, I still think that the Gita is a great self-management/motivation book.

I have moved on since I read these books, and my thoughts have evolved due to so many other influences - but still the influence from reading these books continues to linger....

amitrandive

A lot of books/movies have influenced me, but here are the most important books that impacted my thoughts:

1. The Bible: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bible
I read this when I was in primary school to understand my religion better. I think I read almost half of the old testament before I gave up. I was a pretty devout Christian until I read the Bible :D

I have moved on since I read these books, and my thoughts have evolved due to so many other influences - but still the influence from reading these books continues to linger....
augubhai

Thanks for your recommendations.
:clapping::clapping::clapping:

As from your background , I would suggest you books by Walter Trobisch.He is a Christian minister and has written several books on relationships.

Last edited:

amitrandive

Fooled by Randomness : The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in the Markets
Author: Nassim Nicholas Taleb

http://www.flipkart.com/fooled-randomness-hidden-role-chance-life-markets/p/itmduz2hrpjqmb3b

Fooled By Randomness: The Hidden Role Of Chance In The Markets And In Life explains in detail the theory of luck, our popular conception regarding luck and its applications in everyday life.

Summary Of The Book

Our lives and specifically the market are so full of random aspects and complex structures. Understanding the behaviour of markets and attributing specific reasons to its behaviour is totally impossible and sometimes a useless task. As the title explains, Taleb’s theory explains how all of us get fooled easily by randomness. Taleb goes on to elaborate how we misconstrue luck and skill. Wherever true luck plays a role, we assume it to be the work of individual skill. Most impressive situations in life are only due to luck, claims Taleb. He uses the theory of black swans (rare events) to propound his idea and says that black swans cannot be predicted.

Taleb elucidates his theory through some popular examples using people like the baseball expert Yogi Berra, the philosopher Karl Popper, the ancient wise man Solon, the financier George Soros and the Greek voyager Odysseus. Most of all, journalists and traders fall for the randomness as well. In addition to real-life examples, Taleb also brings in the case of the fictitious hero Nero, who is smart enough to understand the play of randomness in his professional life, but is superstitiously foolish.

Taleb also constructs an invincible, nameless fool who seems to be at the right place at the right time. The fool has a steady string of followers who are ready to do anything for their Guru. But, the fool’s actions cannot be imitated. His success is one obtained by chance.

The most unexpected things will happen for sure. But, we become creatures of routine that we fail to identify it when it happens. Moreover, detecting risks and accepting them is done only by the emotional part of the brain. If we understand probability, then we can perceive the role of luck in everyday situations. The trick lies in recognizing it. Taleb says we must be aware of the trap that luck sets for us.

My View:This book gives an excellent explanations of Randomness,Causalities,Non-linearity in Life and Endowment Effect

amitrandive

The One Minute Manager
Author: Ken Blanchard
http://www.flipkart.com/one-minute-manager/p/itmczym6xhjyeutf

Packed with solid advice with respect to attaining personal excellence, The One Minute Manager is a great read for those who are trying to balance a stress-ridden life and face difficulty in making a sincere commitment to their own body and health.

Summary Of The Book

Following the success of The One Minute Manager, the author released several sequels and this bestselling title is one of them. Originally titled The One Minute Manager Gets Fit, this book is a classic in the league of career-oriented self-help books. It is a motivating read for all those who are so engulfed in their work lives that they ignore their personal health and well-being.

The modern stress to achieve peak performance accompanied by erratic schedules and obligatory deadlines has plagued individuals across the globe. At a time of such escalated tension when the line that separates life and work has almost vanished, The One Minute Manager Balances Life And Work is a comforting idea and a much-needed read.

The author brings the concern to light through an interesting story which revolves around a central character who, in his quest to become successful in the work domain, pays little attention to his exercise routine, eating habits, and health in general. A call from a college professor brings about a significant change in his life. He comes to realise that being healthy is, in fact, a prerequisite to being happy and successful in all domains of life, and more so in one’s work.

The One Minute Manager is a result of the author’s own struggle with failing to strike a balance in life and remaining physically fit. However, he succeeded in achieving good health and shape, and wishes the same for the readers. He gives practical and easy-to-understand strategies to live with a sound mind and body while progressing steadily in one’s career.

My View:The little book which produces big results.The entire One minute series is worth a read.Simplicity at its best.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.