Monthly profit /loss statistics

Iron_Man

Your post indicated that you have a valid point to ask...but I am not able to correctly understand you. I tried to put my remarks with bold and underlined part in the question itself....but frankly I have not understood the question correctly...so not able to give my views....apologies.

May be someone else could help you.

Smart_trade
Sorry, my net went down last night and couldn't get back in.

I'm trying to understand the advantage and disadvantage of 2 different approach of day trading over long term. Let me explain with examples :

Trader 1 - I take 50 trades in a month (everyday max 2,3) but I follow 1 single solid method. Why I say solid ? because it has been tested over last 3-4 years and it has proved to be good. Now, with this method my rules are defined almost no discretion is required. So the trades are relaxed trades. But result wise, 35 out of 50 turns into small loss or BE (lets say 15-20 points loss/trade or BE). The other 15 trades make me 60 points each. So basically, I would lose 700 points and make 900 points. Overall 200 points profit per month. But as I mentioned trades are relaxed and not much descretion required so no pressure.

Trader 2 - I do not follow pre-defined method. I instead trade price action based on my discretion as the scenario appears everyday. I might take trade based on candle if I see or MA cross over if I see. But basically my aim is to just make 10 points everyday irrespective of how I made those 10 points. Here I can't define # of losses vs # of winners everyday. I someday take too many trades especially on volatile days because I cut quick if trade runs into loss. I book quick if trade runs into profit (because sole aim is to just make 10 points). Therefore overtrading. Here I miss big profits though. Now here again I'm able to make 200 points. so the end result is same as the scenario 1 but not at all relaxed trades. May be taking about 100 trades in a month but here the thought is to be profitable everyday vs monthly aim.

Now, what I wanted to ask is which of the 2 above mentioned trader would last long in the trading world ? Lets say the a/c goes bigger then which of the trader will face difficulty in executing one being totally discretionary vs the other who follows just one method ? Here both having same result and are profitable but the approaches are different. Trader 1 thinking of month being profitable while Trader 2 thinking of days being profitable.

Apologies if the post is big, I just wanted to explain.

Last edited:

stock72

Take baby steps but concentrate on consistancy, dont trade for windfall profits ( or loss it the trade fails )but steady consistant profits every month. First try to make 5-10 % then 10-15 % then 15-20 % and then even above that range in a month.

Smart_trade
Yes . Before last Friday fall, my trading capital up 26% for this march . And went wrong on Friday ..now slowly regaining and as of yesterday it is -15% . Yesterday offloaded some half qty at the closing time ..the rest yet to go by today ..after that aim for consistency

Sorry, my net went down last night and couldn't get back in.

I'm trying to understand the advantage and disadvantage of 2 different approach of day trading over long term. Let me explain with examples :

Trader 1 - I take 50 trades in a month (everyday max 2,3) but I follow 1 single solid method. Why I say solid ? because it has been tested over last 3-4 years and it has proved to be good. Now, with this method my rules are defined almost no discretion is required. So the trades are relaxed trades. But result wise, 35 out of 50 turns into small loss or BE (lets say 15-20 points loss/trade or BE). The other 15 trades make me 60 points each. So basically, I would lose 700 points and make 900 points. Overall 200 points profit per month. But as I mentioned trades are relaxed and not much descretion required so no pressure.

Trader 2 - I do not follow pre-defined method. I instead trade price action based on my discretion as the scenario appears everyday. I might take trade based on candle if I see or MA cross over if I see. But basically my aim is to just make 10 points everyday irrespective of how I made those 10 points. Here I can't define # of losses vs # of winners everyday. I someday take too many trades especially on volatile days because I cut quick if trade runs into loss. I book quick if trade runs into profit (because sole aim is to just make 10 points). Therefore overtrading. Here I miss big profits though. Now here again I'm able to make 200 points. so the end result is same as the scenario 1 but not at all relaxed trades. May be taking about 100 trades in a month but here the thought is to be profitable everyday vs monthly aim.

Now, what I wanted to ask is which of the 2 above mentioned trader would last long in the trading world ? Lets say the a/c goes bigger then which of the trader will face difficulty in executing one being totally discretionary vs the other who follows just one method ? Here both having same result and are profitable but the approaches are different. Trader 1 thinking of month being profitable while Trader 2 thinking of days being profitable.

Apologies if the post is big, I just wanted to explain.
Trader 1 has better chances of success . Trader 2 will have issues of consistancy and scalability.So when his capital increases, he may not be able to do the trading the way he is doing with smaller capital.

Smart_trade

Iron_Man

Trader 1 has better chances of success . Trader 2 will have issues of consistancy and scalability.So when his capital increases, he may not be able to do the trading the way he is doing with smaller capital.

Smart_trade
Thanks for the response. Appreciate it !

So in other words, can we conclude that it is ok not to be profitable everyday but try to keep the losses small. Also, as long as moth is ending profitable no need to worry about making profits everyday. ??

Thanks again

Yes . Before last Friday fall, my trading capital up 26% for this march . And went wrong on Friday ..now slowly regaining and as of yesterday it is -15% . Yesterday offloaded some half qty at the closing time ..the rest yet to go by today ..after that aim for consistency
+26 % to -15 % is a 41 % swing....very large for any consistancy of returns.But I guess you always trade like that so may be ok for your trading style.

Smart_trade

Thanks for the response. Appreciate it !

So in other words, can we conclude that it is ok not to be profitable everyday but try to keep the losses small. Also, as long as moth is ending profitable no need to worry about making profits everyday. ??

Thanks again
If someone is trading well, 70-75 % of the days will be in profit.

ST

Sunnyraj

If someone is trading well, 70-75 % of the days will be in profit.

ST
St sir , i've read that most of the time market remains in range and it trends 30% of the time only.

This means to be profitable one has to catch big moves on trending days , coz on other days one may be less profitable and probability of SL being hit will also increase , right ?

Here the biggest question is how to identify trending vs non trending days ?:confused:

If we wait for candle formations like higher high-higher low we may miss a large chunk of moves...

As you said that one who trades well will be profitable for 70-75% of the days, but what if most of those days are non trending :(

I'm confused..plz guide