Pips in wheelbarrow - Trading FX profitably

Is this Thread Useful?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DSM

Brilliant. Thanks for posting. It's food for thought.

BRUNCH FOR SUNDAY .... Making Winning ... a Habit

I have reference many times my travails early on in my trading career whereby fear caused me to expect a loss – completely manifested as the result of my bad habits. How was I eventually able to overcome and change?

Think about some of your own bad habits – especially the behaviors that create the internal dialogue “I know better” or “I’ll never do that again!” The problem is that most of the time your internal dialogue is not supportive of your desired outcome. In order to change those bad habits and behaviors, you must commit to change them.
Commitment – that is the key word. Most traders think they are committed. They spend hours studying charts, asking every question under the sun, and trying to nail down some form of certainty to overcome their fears. However, they are always looking for some external resource to solve their problems.

The commitment that is most vital is the commitment to look inward; to explore the psychology of why you are fearful, why you repeat the same mistakes while knowing they are sabotaging your success.

We know that we must build a belief in our trading plan and trading system. With that we must also build trust in ourselves. That trust comes from having realistic expectations, understanding time is required to become an expert, and working smart.
Happily, I get many emails from traders telling me they are now starting to get it. They are beginning to see the light – working through their psychological challenges. The single greatest revelation is that they all have calmed down and redirected their focus on the process. This is the beginning of positive change. The process as outlined through complete Trade Plan Development is the road map to success. In short, process will lead to profits.

The other great discovery is that they now know they can not trade $500.00 into $1 million. They are no longer counting on pipe dreams and wishes. They are treating their trading as a business, allocating appropriate capital and applying sound principles to their money management. They are developing the patience to seek and execute the best trade signals; following their trade plan and rules.

These are the signs of true commitment; of professionals – and real professionals make money. These milestones build confidence and self-trust.

Now, what once seemed impossible becomes a good habit – a winning habit. The defining moment is when you realize that winning is really not difficult at all. In fact, you will expect it!

So many traders are mystified and curious – somehow still assuming that I am afraid or reluctant to post losing trades. But at this stage of my trading, I just don’t have that many. I have tried to illustrate how winning is possible using thorough preparation; Top Down Analysis, market structure, valid signal choices, patience, discipline and not over trading – all learnable skills! But all skills that required a true commitment on my part!
Remember in My Story that I emphasized that I had to work on me. That’s when things began to change for the better.

My habits changed, from fearful to controlled. I stopped acting like a loser and began acting like a winner- a professional. From there, it became more fluid and simple.
Winning became a habit.

If you don’t have the fortitude or the heart to make the commitment, you are going to struggle. If you do, you will struggle at the outset, but will eventually be successful.
The fact is that most people simply do not want to expend the effort or energy to do what it takes – at anything. That’s really great for those of us who do.
Remember to make an honest assessment of what you are doing and why. Make the commitment to change and follow the process. You will soon find winning the norm, not the exception.

“Long-lasting change that will help you create new habits and actions requires an inside-out approach, as well as two very important tools: the mirror and time.” Darren L. Johnson

@ Galts Gulch...thanks for sharing such extremely useful personal experience and guidelines... really helpful and thought provoking...

Please guide me regarding a few things....

how important is position sizing? and if starting off with a small account size(say 500$) and looking at max risk exposure of 20% for all open positions...and leverage of 1:100...

what should be adequate position sizing depending upon account size,% risk, SL? does leverage play any role in choosing position size? and how many such positions can be taken? what should be the approx. max risk per trade?

Galts Gulch

@ Galts Gulch...thanks for sharing such extremely useful personal experience and guidelines... really helpful and thought provoking...

how important is position sizing? and if starting off with a small account size(say 500$) and looking at max risk exposure of 20% for all open positions...and leverage of 1:100...

what should be adequate position sizing depending upon account size,% risk, SL? does leverage play any role in choosing position size? and how many such positions can be taken? what should be the approx. max risk per trade?
Position Sizing (Adding positions to winning trade/s) is the Difference between Profit and Pips in Wheelbarrow.

I never run behind Pips (Though My own thread is Pips In Wheelbarrow ... It is a famous glitch in FX Trading) .... Why?
Supposing, both my SL and TP are 50 Pips ... If my SL gets Hit ... Other things being equal, on a standard lot, I lose 500$ ... On the other hand for the same 50 pips .. if my TP gets hit, I make 1000$ ... Why? .. Because as soon as my winning trade/s hit 25 pips, I double my lot size ... one lot running for 50 pips ... 2 lots running for 25 pips ... but same 1 lot size continues for my losing trade ... Get the point?

Account size is not very important ... How you use ... whatever available is very important ...

Maximum risk / trade is not a static formula. It depends on the currency pair, the TF, relevant session, any important NEWS lined up in nearest hours, Rules of the trade, market momentum / liquidity etc and More importantly Psyche of the trader. Few times I use 1% ... Few times 10% ....

Leverage does pay a role ... why? Higher the leverage ... Lesser the equity ... tighter should be the SL ... higher the chances of SL getting hit ...But if you are entering a Trade with very less RDD chances, You can go for the kill with higher leverage ...

SL again is not static and one should not be rigid / fixed about it ... It should only be used to protect the Equity, not by default ...

Shoot, if you need more clarity ....

Last edited:

Catch22

Position Sizing (Adding positions to winning trade/s) is the Difference between Profit and Pips in Wheelbarrow.

On the other hand for the same 50 pips Profit, I make 1000$ ... Why? .. Because as soon as my winning trade/s hit 25 pips, I double my lot size ... but same 1 lot size continues for my losing trade ..”

Very interesting .. Wish to know ,if I may , when would you be closing both the trades please?[ Pl take your time ,no hurry , as I may not log in till 10.30 PM or after ]Thanks a lot!

Galts Gulch

Very interesting .. Wish to know ,if I may , when would you be closing both the trades please?[ Pl take your time ,no hurry , as I may not log in till 10.30 PM or after ]Thanks a lot!
Will try and clarify over few points ...

1. Most of my trades are opened from a S/R level, wherein ... I expect the market to move minimum 50 Pips ... If I do not feel / think that way, I do not take that trade and move over to other set up's ... This is on 4H and above TF's ... And all these trades will have SL and TP of 50 Pips, by default ... For 1H scalp trades, SL and TP will be around 22 - 30 Pips ...

2. When a trade reaches 20 pips of profit, I move my trade to BE. Once the profit reaches 25 - 28 pips, I activate TSL of about 6 - 8 Pips and move TP to higher level depending upon the next S/R level/s or ADR. and open the 2nd 2 lots trade. This new trade will have hard SL of 20 Pips and TP of the newly moved TP level. . This way, I'm reducing my over all risk, but still give enough breathing space for my 2nd trades. Same rules apply for all my future Scaling In Trades ... Last month (August), when GU moved down big time, I had 5 trades (1 lot, 2 lots, 4 lots, 7 lots and 10 lots) running at the same time ... over 315 pips in wheelbarrow .... :clap::clap::clap:

3. If I have to be away from my terminal I activate TSL for all trades and allow market to give me, whatever it deems fit. If I can sit through the terminal, then depending on the strength of the PA in my direction, I keep scaling in and moving both SL and TP. But if I smell something fishy ... or if there is any kind of higher pull back, I close all trades manually ....

4. I did have a Trade Manager EA (not to open the trades, but only to manage and close trades) ... But as it happens with any EA, the trade manager could not perform over a period of time .. Discarded it and trust my analysis more ....

Did I make my strategy Clear ... Shoot if you need any other info ...

Let us all steal pips right under the nose of every broker ....

Galts Gulch

Something to Ponder with ... On The Rocks ......

Temporary INSANITY .....

Have you ever had a moment or moments where you simply do not know how to react or interpret what you see on your charts? . . . or what action to take?

This feeling of disorientation can be attributed to lack of a thorough preparation and a complete trade plan. Your trade plan must include a variety of responses that can be applied rapidly and consistently. It must take into account the various market conditions so that we can be prepared for all scenarios.

How prepared are you? Your true advantage or “edge” will include your ability to respond confidently when other traders are experiencing this confusion and doubt.

No matter what other traders do, we must put ourselves in a position of success by having a strategy for every situation. This does not mean getting caught up in information overload or acting anxiously. It means being able to calmly recognize the current status of the market and confidently and purposefully prepare for action or inaction.

Here’s a secret . . . most of the time, our best position is to do nothing. If a trade does not meet our rules, we do nothing. If we are a trend trader and see a counter trend set-up, we do nothing. If we enter the market and have set our stops and profit targets, from there, we do nothing. Trading is a game of patience and that patience is lucratively rewarded.

The problem with most traders is that psychologically most have been conditioned that inaction is a trait of failure or laziness. They feel compelled to act or deviate from their rules simply because they can not accept inaction – especially when they have devoted a specific amount of time to sit down with their charts. They feel like they must place a trade regardless of the rules of their trade plan. “If I’m here, I’m going to trade!” AND That is Dooms Day and Dooms day NOW .....

This behavior reinforces the possibility of disorientation because the action is based on emotion, not logic. We all know that emotion based trading is a costly lesson. When capital is at risk, remember it is always better to not trade if doubt or confusion is present. There will always be another opportunity and another trade. It is our job to be patient and let the market invite us to trade with a valid signal based on our plan and rules.

If you find yourself disoriented on confused, do nothing – that is, do not place any trades. Try to evaluate why that emotional state exists when you encounter it. Have you done your back testing? Have you performed adequate repetitions of your trade signal? Does your trade plan account for all market conditions? Have you thoroughly prepared for each trade session by performing your top down analysis? What is causing your anxiety and confusion?

That fact is that in trading, we will spend most of our time doing nothing and simply waiting for the right moment to engage. This is counter-intuitive to most of our experiences where we have come to believe that activity is equal to productivity and/or output. Because the amount trading activity has little correlation to productivity (or profit in our case), the importance of preparation and patience are greatly magnified. Large sums can be made with only a few trades. More trading does not equal more profits.

As we have said many times before, the market rewards preparation and patience. We also know from experience that the market punishes emotion and being over-zealous.

The key is balance. Disorientation and confusion are the signs of imbalance and spontaneity. Make sure you have done the work to engage the market prepared and purposeful – and remember that doing nothing is better than doing something arbitrary and costly.

"WE HAVE TO BE BOTH PRO - ACTIVE AND REACTIVE. PRO ACT WITH TRADE PLAN AND REACT WITH MARKET MOVEMENT AND VOLATILITY" .... CHEERSSSSSS"

DSM

GG,

Thanks for many of your post - they are all very informative and useful to traders. One suggestion if I may. Just to give an analogy : If there is a varied and appetizing buffet, one can only do justice to a few of the delicious offering. Having all, will lead to indigestion, so even good stuff will have to be ignore. Saying this since your post has a lot of depth, but having read it, one needs to ponder and imbibe the learnings to settle down. Hence, request do space your post, so that they are more than read - to become a part of the psyche. I will ofcourse, revisit your thread again.... And thanks for posting.

Galts Gulch

GG,

Thanks for many of your post - they are all very informative and useful to traders. One suggestion if I may. Just to give an analogy : If there is a varied and appetizing buffet, one can only do justice to a few of the delicious offering. Having all, will lead to indigestion, so even good stuff will have to be ignore. Saying this since your post has a lot of depth, but having read it, one needs to ponder and imbibe the learnings to settle down. Hence, request do space your post, so that they are more than read - to become a part of the psyche. I will ofcourse, revisit your thread again.... And thanks for posting.
Aap ke Kwayish Sar Aankho par ....

Only on week end's ... I can reflect and compere this kind of posts ... On week days ... I have to worry about my Barrow ...

Got your point and THANKS A TON BUDDY ....
The fact that you visit my thread is a compliment in itself ... :clap::clap::clap:

Galts Gulch

If I were in your position ... For 500$ account ... I will opt 200 Leverage ...
Go after ONLY A+++ kind of set up's ... ONLY on 1H TF ....
TRADE ONLY ONE TRADE ALWAYS ...
Always trade .1 Lot size (50$ margin) ... Sit through all the trades ... 50 Pips TP and do not have hard SL ... Kill the trade if it reaches -12 pips ....
Once the trade reaches 30 Pips of profit ... Open .2 lots trade (100$ equity) ..
Both trades ... Put together ... 30% margin of the equity ....
If the 1st trade goes under loss ... Decrease the lot size to .05 till the account reaches its original 500$ equity ....
Once you have 500$ equity all over, re start the process ... with .1 lot size ...

What is a A+++ kind of set up ???

Observe all my charts and the corresponding comments for the next week ...
Will post only A+++ kind of entries ...
My trades will be 1 lot (and more)... STRATEGY WILL REMAIN THE SAME ...

Catch22

Will try and clarify over few points ...

1. Most of my trades are opened from a S/R level, wherein ... I expect the market to move minimum 50 Pips ... If I do not feel / think that way, I do not take that trade and move over to other set up's ... This is on 4H and above TF's ... And all these trades will have SL and TP of 50 Pips, by default ... For 1H scalp trades, SL and TP will be around 22 - 30 Pips ...

2. When a trade reaches 20 pips of profit, I move my trade to BE. Once the profit reaches 25 - 28 pips, I activate TSL of about 6 - 8 Pips and move TP to higher level depending upon the next S/R level/s or ADR. and open the 2nd 2 lots trade. This new trade will have hard SL of 20 Pips and TP of the newly moved TP level. . This way, I'm reducing my over all risk, but still give enough breathing space for my 2nd trades. Same rules apply for all my future Scaling In Trades ... Last month (August), when GU moved down big time, I had 5 trades (1 lot, 2 lots, 4 lots, 7 lots and 10 lots) running at the same time ... over 315 pips in wheelbarrow .... :

I second you on this ..... the way I see my Indicators on MT4 ...

Reverse Chronologically ... W and D TF's are pulling back ....

The second last candle on 4H has a Long Wick ....
200 MA tested TWICE in 7 trading days .... on 4H TF
RSI crossing TSL above Market Base Line on 4H TF ....

HL and HH on last 5 1H candles .... and Climbing up from OB Zone ...

Ooopsssssss

A+++ kind of set up .... :clap::clap::clap:

Missed this thread for so long ... very educative ...

Will window crash regularly ....
Thanks a lot for the detailed explanations..:thumb: Very helpful.It is a wonderful thread !We get more than we expect for a question!Best of luck ! Happy trading !