SEBI's new move to cut retailers participation in F&O!

Satya.

It is very difficult for anyone to tell you to continue or quit trading. You have been trading for more than 3 years and by your own admission you are still a loss making trader. So let the SEBI rules come and you see if you can continue trading. If you are confident in your own mind that you can trade profitably and if you have some other source of income to run your household expenses,then you can try trading for some more time.You can try trading in cash market and make small profits every day. Till SEBI rules come, continue trading in normal way.

Smart_trade
ys dada,
bt if dey lessen leverage on EQ too frm 10X to 2-3X
or based on ITR fig den i fit nowhere :(

Are bhai SEBI wants to regulate the market so that it is safe for small traders/investors ..they dont want to finish the market.....so they will allow you to trade either in F & O or in cash market......Govt will be a biggest loser if they kill the market..they wont do it.

We are thinking of all dreaded scenarios....in practice things will be much easy.

Smart_trade

headstrong007

----- Full-Time ----- Day-Trader
@Satya,
Currently, the ball is not in our court, just wait for now and keep the things in the way they presently are.

Last edited:

headstrong007

----- Full-Time ----- Day-Trader
My personal view is, after discussing the matter with few other experienced traders and one experienced person related with brokerage business,
as there is an only limited risk for BUY OPTION side SEBI can't use notional turnover for exposure calculation. The option is only the price of the premium. It'll be easily challenged in Court. It's difficult to prove such bogus logic in court. :mad:

But Intraday & positional option writing leverage and intraday and positional future trading leverage will be reduced drastically. Possibly, Intraday cash leverage will be automatically reduced if linked with ITR or networth.

It's also very hard to implement exposure in the delivery market, based on income/networth too,
bcoz a retired person may not have any income presently and not much liquid net worth too, but a big collection of stocks in his or her portfolio collected for several years.
No one can suddenly tell people to SELL your portfolio of stocks, there is a Court to protect a citizen's right against the implementation of such NONSENSE ideas.

Last edited:

sanju005ind

Investor, Option Writer
My personal view is, after discussing the matter with few other experienced traders and one experienced person related with brokerage business,
as there is an only limited risk for BUY OPTION side SEBI can't use notional turnover for exposure calculation. The option is only the price of the premium. It'll be easily challenged in Court. It's difficult to prove such bogus logic in court. :mad:

But Intraday & positional option writing leverage and intraday and positional future trading leverage will be reduced drastically. Possibly, Intraday cash leverage will be automatically reduced if linked with ITR or networth.

It's also very hard to implement exposure in the delivery market, based on income/networth too,
bcoz a retired person may not have any income presently and not much liquid net worth too, but a big collection of stocks in his or her portfolio collected for several years.
No one can suddenly tell people to SELL your portfolio of stocks, there is a Court to protect a citizen's right against the implementation of such NONSENSE ideas.
Yes you are right. For example there is substantial amount of stocks in my wife's account and since she does not have source of income F&O segment is not enabled. I found it very difficult to hedge the portfolio during this years budget.Hence I had to hedge with equivalent value put options in my account which by the way will be taxed 30%. Now on one hand SEBI says derivatives should be used for hedging only on the other they restrict it. Next year might daughter turns 18 and I was planning to build an equity portfolio as gift for her. Now I need to see how the ruling effects my plans.

As of now F &O account could be opened by showing 6 months bank statement. So you could have opened an account in your wife's name and hedged against her portfolio. If suppose she has shares worth 20 Lakhs, there is no problem hedging it by 3 nifty contracts. This facility you can get in future also.....there is restriction on excess leverage..not on genuine hedging. The problem is only for people who on a networth of 20 L want to trade with 6-8 or 10 nifty contracts.....the restrictions will restrict the exposure they can take.

Shares acquired by your daughter by way of gift from you or from her own income will not have any restrictions.....Govt is not closing down all equity investments done from legitimate income and without leverage...so investment wont have any problem.

Smart_trade

sanju005ind

Investor, Option Writer
As of now F &O account could be opened by showing 6 months bank statement. So you could have opened an account in your wife's name and hedged against her portfolio. If suppose she has shares worth 20 Lakhs, there is no problem hedging it by 3 nifty contracts. This facility you can get in future also.....there is restriction on excess leverage..not on genuine hedging. The problem is only for people who on a networth of 20 L want to trade with 6-8 or 10 nifty contracts.....the restrictions will restrict the exposure they can take.

Shares acquired by your daughter by way of gift from you or from her own income will not have any restrictions.....Govt is not closing down all equity investments done from legitimate income and without leverage...so investment wont have any problem.

Smart_trade
Thanks ST for the suggestions. I will do that.

hitesh05

Smart_trade
Da so for a day trader, will not be possible to trade with 20 Lakh capital also?

Da so for a day trader, will not be possible to trade with 20 Lakh capital also?
Why do you say so ? I did not say that in my earlier reply....with 20 L networth one can definately daytrade a few contracts of nifty or bank nifty.

Smart_trade