SH's 315 Strategy - how to make it more comfortable and profitable!!

NTrader42

Sorry!! I could not find the original strategy posted by NTrader42. Can anybody post the link to this??
Hello lokanathpai

There is nothing original posted by me, i have just quoted few of the important posts made by SH on original thread, for that check first few pages of this thread

Thanks

rkkarnani

Agree, awesome efforts by vikrit, thanks

The conclusion (or phase 1 conclusion) is that 315 is a very good and robust strategy, can continued to be traded as it is.

The spinoff of this exercise is we discovered that there are few other ways to skin it.

The question is why shift to something new from a time tested system which a trader is used to trading, for new ppl joining these threads also, the ongoing support on 315 makes it worthwhile to go with it.

One additional rule given by SH about exit on 2 days of reverse movement on ema3 can be included. But while adding these extra rules, the trader has to apply them correctly and consistently.

Thanks
Is it possible to have 'unambiguous rules' for 3EMA exit on not touching and reentry? AND also for When do we add on 15 EMA touch? I feel these can boost the results a lot... to me these are very important parts of the 315 strategy.
Exit on 3EMA reverse movement for 2 days is a good suggestion, but feel something more is required before we reenter in the same direction. This weekend is all tied up.. hopefully by next weekend shall post what comes to mind and rest will be upto you NTrader to put ur efforts to translate them into 'analysis' !! :thumb:

NTrader42

A list of rules for SH315, that I am considering

1. Go Long when ema3 > ema15

2. Go Short when ema3< ema15

3. Book Part/full profit (scale-out) when the price candle does not touch ema3, re-enter the position on the touch

4. Add quantity (scale-in) to a profitable position when it comes back and touches ema15

5. Exit full if ema3 goes in opposite direction of the trade for 2 days in running

6. Take a Short Term Trade in opposite direction (contra) when the candle does not touch ema3 for 2nd day in running.

I am not sure if the above is comprehensive list, please point out if i have left out a few things

Thanks

NTrader42

Is it possible to have 'unambiguous rules' for 3EMA exit on not touching and reentry? AND also for When do we add on 15 EMA touch? I feel these can boost the results a lot... to me these are very important parts of the 315 strategy.
We can play with the ema calculation and reverse generate the range for High/Low & Close for touch, but all that is just like chasing the tail . . .

From the trades posted by SH and you the touch exit n re-entry seems to be more of catching an excursion of price to extremity (for intraday or 2 days), i am not comfortable to form more rigid rules, for that we need to shift to lower time frame (say hourly), and doing that the KISS is lost, not worth losing the KISS :)

As I told you before not worked on position sizing / adds so will have to work on that further.

Exit on 3EMA reverse movement for 2 days is a good suggestion, but feel something more is required before we reenter in the same direction. This weekend is all tied up.. hopefully by next weekend shall post what comes to mind and rest will be upto you NTrader to put ur efforts to translate them into 'analysis' !! :thumb:
For now we can considering it as an full exit, re-entry as the ema3 gets back into the direction of the trade.

Looking forward to more inputs from you and SH.

Thanks

Its wonderful work done by Ntrader, Vikrit, Rkkarnani and others who have been able to convert 'my imagination' into something measurable by posting backtest data. :thumb:

It appears 315 in its original form is quite potent in itself and hence can be continued to be traded without many tweaks.

However the results on trading based on 45EMA turn resulting in 7K points profits has really caught my imagination now ...

Ntrader - Can you post what all rules you fed into the system to generate the results for EMA45 analysis. I am sure we can increase that 7K point profit further by adding soem minor additional rules.....

Cheers
SH

NTrader42

Its wonderful work done by Ntrader, Vikrit, Rkkarnani and others who have been able to convert 'my imagination' into something measurable by posting backtest data. :thumb:

It appears 315 in its original form is quite potent in itself and hence can be continued to be traded without many tweaks.

However the results on trading based on 45EMA turn resulting in 7K points profits has really caught my imagination now ...

Ntrader - Can you post what all rules you fed into the system to generate the results for EMA45 analysis. I am sure we can increase that 7K point profit further by adding soem minor additional rules.....

Cheers
SH
Just basic rules, long (buy today's close) when ema45 > ema45 of previous day, and e45 of previous day > e45 of day before that.

even ema30 is giving comparable results. Using add on ema15 touch and part booking profit with ema3 come to mind, as a first step for improvement.

Thanks

vikrit

Vikrit , just for the sake of record : Seems you have analysed with the Nifty Spot Data...please confirm!! The levels in trade dont match my data! :p

this is on nifty future data. data from very reliable source. can check values of any month values. these are on close price. entry & exit also on close price.

and if find error or diff in ohlc values, plz let me know. in trades there can be difference for some values.

Last edited:

vikrit

Its an Awesome piece of effort!!!
So what is the conclusion??? The original strategy is as good....!!! :D
thanks,

as i said earlier, original strategy in full form (add, and 3ema touch) will give good results. but these are subjective. in times volatility is high & trend dont stay long, then judgementing on those things is very difficult like what happened with 3ema touch on 21st nov. and also in later period loss are bigger as more volatility and market moving in channel. so, in views three areas where improvement can be done-

1. put more objective for things which are subjective.

2. tweak for early exit or some sort of profit booking. (for this option can be one of the very good solution)

3. tweak for avoiding whipsaw at entry.

Last edited:

rkkarnani

this is on nifty future data. data from very reliable source. can check values of any month values. these are on close price. entry & exit also on close price.

and if find error or diff in ohlc values, plz let me know. in trades there can be difference for some values.
Okay!!! Then its fine.. will compare and comment in case I find any differences!! There was some difference in EMA vales as I started checking form June 2007 hence I thought it might be Spot Nifty!! :p
Thanks.

VJAY

Cheers
SH
Dear Ntrader,
Where you posted these 45EMa things??????????Please give me the link...