Staring At Massive MTM Losses - What Should I do Now?

What Should I do Now?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

sanjosedesi

Delight?

Someone comes and asks for advice then is totally unwilling to follow any of it. What do you do? Watch the road kill...

If the advice was bad, it will be a different situation, would it not?

Delight?

Someone comes and asks for advice then is totally unwilling to follow any of it. What do you do? Watch the road kill...

Yup.. right :D :D :D :D :D

But I can sympathise with him, for I too, have often been in losing situations and frozen, not listening to anything or anyone, and living on hope till the calendar made the decision for me :)

smartcat

Delight?

For now, I'm following SavantGarde's advice of doing nothing for sometime. I can't follow everybody's advice.

Or wait. I have 8 lots. So do I try out one repair strategy per lot? :D

Today Sharekhan is singing a different tune :)
hehe!

What do you think about the direction of the market now? That double bottom thingie still holds?

sanjosedesi

Yup.. right :D :D :D :D :D

But I can sympathise with him, for I too, have often been in losing situations and frozen, not listening to anything or anyone, and living on hope till the calendar made the decision for me :)
I have been there, still freeze. And take advice all over and do my own thing :). But all that is private. I can understand.

What makes this interesting is that you see your own actions replaying in front of you ... with pretty much the same end state. First time for me seeing that.

What do you think about the direction of the market now? That double bottom thingie still holds?
There was a caveat (OTOH) in there "the daily closing below 21EMA" ... well, that caveat seems to have come true. I guess 21MA will offer substantial resistance to the index.

smartcat

What makes this interesting is that you see your own actions replaying in front of you ... with pretty much the same end state. First time for me seeing that.
Now that sounds very ominous! :)

But the bigger picture is that you are still trading and you seem to be in good spirits. You have basically paid your "tuition fee" to the markets, which I haven't yet. So if things don't go well, this will be my turn to pay. Actually, if I hadn't ended up in the situation I'm in right now, I might have bet bigger amounts every month - until it all blows up in my face.

I have been investing in the stock market for 12 years now, and I think it took me 10 years to really understand the markets and how to live off it full time. I really don't expect to master derivatives trading in 3 months.

EagleOne

What a bunch of sadist comedians you all are! :rolleyes:

It was just a harmless jibe to lighten up the gloom and doom a little, bro. Not meant to aggravate your predicament in anyway. Not long ago I have been in a worse situation involving many times more money at stake than yours. So I don't just sympathize, but empathize with you. Still if you felt hurt, my sincere apologies.

Like so many my other fellow TJ members, I too came when one of us was in distress. I did my part, gave you my piece of mind as to what I would do if I were in your situation. You decide on following a different course, well, all the best to you.

Good luck and take care.

deneb

A dividend drinking cat trying to eat options hmmmm

You are already doing what most here consider unfashionable or untenable (by living of dividends and debt instruments). Like you tweaked dividend yeilding strategy to your personality you will have to do the same with options.

I was wondering since you are not betting for black swan events, what was your initial opinoin regarding stop loss on the whole trading option business. I was asking because you have your own stop loss method in investing.

I hope everything works out in your favour. Go nifty go cause the cat is hungry.

sanjosedesi

Ominous ... I am a learner. Year over year, I am down 5 per cent maybe 10. However one panic attack cost me about 25 percent ... which was because I kept buying when the market was still making lows everyday and when the heart stopped pounding ... took 25 percent loss, not saying sold 25 percent, but loss. And the markets recovered after that so it actually was for nothing but just to sleep better. Have not made it back over 6 months but getting there.

There is still time till expiry, but at least the next few days are going to be brutal. Whether RBI / budget save the day, too far in the future !! Enjoy the ride.

I find that smartcat is neither a kid nor a new guy in the markets. He has 12 years of market experience, has deep pockets, he is prepared to pay the tution fees to the market....and I am sure he will manage his position well.:)

Smart_trade