Stocks for the long and short term portfolio

jamit_05

Having gone deeper into the most recent Annual Report and Quarterly Report, I believe SiL is not as bad as I had thought looking at the superficial numbers. I guess, the sharp fall in prices influenced my Analysis.

One main reason for the fall of Sintex is that its PE went as high as 24 in 2008. Meaning, investors had high expectations. Then, 2009 showed a big jump in EPS from 17 to 24, that is 30%... very attractive. But, this is hard to sustain.

Now EPS is only 11.2. So the new investors who had high growth expectations bailed out quick which crashed the PE to all time low of 1.7

This is when the stock started looking attractive. With manageable debt, international and pan-national presence, core-operations and headquarters in Gujrat, most industry-friendly state... Sintex is probably a good bargain. However, one must watch for the following points in the coming quarters:

1) Gross Profit Margin.

The Director has admitted in his recent Annual Report that the rising-cost has been a factor of worry. This point alone can eat into all future prospects. From this angle, the June quarter has been bad. Net profit margin took a fall from 7.5% in June '12 to a meager 4.5% in June '13. I do not think that SiL can bear more cuts.

2) Increased Debtor Days and Increased Working Capital.
There is nothing more disappointing than a company unable to manage its everyday operations. Shows weakness in doing business.

Mr.G

Having gone deeper into the most recent Annual Report and Quarterly Report, I believe SiL is not as bad as I had thought looking at the superficial numbers. I guess, the sharp fall in prices influenced my Analysis.

One main reason for the fall of Sintex is that its PE went as high as 24 in 2008. Meaning, investors had high expectations. Then, 2009 showed a big jump in EPS from 17 to 24, that is 30%... very attractive. But, this is hard to sustain.

Now EPS is only 11.2. So the new investors who had high growth expectations bailed out quick which crashed the PE to all time low of 1.7

This is when the stock started looking attractive. With manageable debt, international and pan-national presence, core-operations and headquarters in Gujrat, most industry-friendly state... Sintex is probably a good bargain. However, one must watch for the following points in the coming quarters:

1) Gross Profit Margin.

The Director has admitted in his recent Annual Report that the rising-cost has been a factor of worry. This point alone can eat into all future prospects. From this angle, the June quarter has been bad. Net profit margin took a fall from 7.5% in June '12 to a meager 4.5% in June '13. I do not think that SiL can bear more cuts.

2) Increased Debtor Days and Increased Working Capital.
There is nothing more disappointing than a company unable to manage its everyday operations. Shows weakness in doing business.
As one fundamental analyst to another. I suggest that you should include valuations in your reports too, People often miss the most important factor of price, As people here are not fundamentalists like us, they will invest at technical levels and not the fundamental valuations, thus sending all this analysis to the **** can. Fantastic work. :thumb:

jamit_05

One Final Note on Sintex.

The only thing left for investors to do is to see the latest Quarterlies.

Reason is simple.

Sintex's EPS has been falling since it touched the peak of Rs.24. In FY2013 it remained stable. But, in this first quarter of FY2014 it looks dismal again, with Profit margins taking a decent hair-cut.

Before, investing we must know what we are getting in return. Where will the EPS settle. The downtrend in EPS has not halted.

Many Many thanks for detailed analysis of Sintex industries

Sir can you tell us with the view of 20-25 yrs, what about Ashok Lelyand and Spice Jet?

jamit_05

Many Many thanks for detailed analysis of Sintex industries
No Sir... Thanks to you for bringing up a potentially good investment up on this Forum. It was fun going into the detail of the company.

Ashok Leyland is a laggard. It has a lot of real-estate I hear. I might be a good asset play. But, definitely not a good growth company.

I am really not interested in the Airline Sector.

Ashok Leyland is a laggard. It has a lot of real-estate I hear. I might be a good asset play. But, definitely not a good growth company.
Jamit,

Like many others, I am also a great fan of your work and have been following this thread for past few weeks on and off.

About Ashok Leyland I understand your views about asset play. Its case is like Sears which has lot of real estate but it cannot sell that to generate cash and grow at the same time. I think about Ashok Leyland on the similar lines. Of course, it has better positioned itself in the respective industry.

jamit_05

Jamit,

Like many others, I am also a great fan of your work and have been following this thread for past few weeks on and off.

About Ashok Leyland I understand your views about asset play. Its case is like Sears which has lot of real estate but it cannot sell that to generate cash and grow at the same time. I think about Ashok Leyland on the similar lines. Of course, it has better positioned itself in the respective industry.
Nice name. I liked the movie too. :)

What turns me away from Ashok Leyland is that after so many years in the industry it is still very far behind its chief competitor: Tata Motors, in every aspect. Tech, volumes, management, numbers. Hence, the only reason why I would by AL is because it is cheap.... but that is not an allure enough, because most laggards have become cheap and will remain there for long.

It probably has good assets (I have not looked into the numbers) So, money won't "drown". But, there is little prospect of growth. It is leading the fall in Auto.

Regards

Einstein

Sir what about FDC ltd ,its from pharma industry and i think totally undervalued company what is your view on this with 10- 15yrs horizon ?
Hi govind, FDC is not undervalued, price is fairly valued as per my valuations. I don't think it will be a good idea to invest with 15 years time frame in mind. in my views its an average company with average growth. 2/5 is my rating for fdc

look for better options like alembic pharma, but keep in mind the stop loss in long term investing is 3 bad quarters, this is what i use.