Stocks for the long and short term portfolio

Jmit Sir

for what reason rakesh junjunvala bought "HT Media" ?

its sales is steady(not increase)
net profit is declined
interest is higher than net profit

so what is the reason???

please lighten this case, so i can learn from your great knowledge and experience

jamit_05

Jmit Sir

for what reason rakesh junjunvala bought "HT Media" ?

its sales is steady(not increase)
net profit is declined
interest is higher than net profit

so what is the reason???

please lighten this case, so i can learn from your great knowledge and experience
Heavy words of praise, pls, lets just call each other without titles.

I have long believed that RJ is not just one investor... he is just a face, who has plenty of powerful backing. I do not believe any one person can amass such wealth without being "well connected" with politicos.

We can leave such speculative measure to such big people, who have inside information upon which they can act and NOT get punished.

Whereas, we, the ordinary persons, will have to rely on simpler tools for investment.

jamit_05

Please help us understand your rationale for the above comment.
I too am a little unsure.

Nifty touched all time highs, and IDBI is still far away from its all time high infact it increased only 20 odd %. I think this is weakness.

I wonder what will happen to it if Nifty were to crash to its 52W lows. IDBI will surely break its 2008 lows.

amitrandive

Heavy words of praise, pls, lets just call each other without titles.

I have long believed that RJ is not just one investor... he is just a face, who has plenty of powerful backing. I do not believe any one person can amass such wealth without being "well connected" with politicos.

We can leave such speculative measure to such big people, who have inside information upon which they can act and NOT get punished.

Whereas, we, the ordinary persons, will have to rely on simpler tools for investment.
jamit Sir

Absolutely right.We do not even know when RJ bought this stock.maybe it was bought by him some years ago and this news was disclosed recently.

We cannot actually hope to follow big investors/speculators for the very reason that we do not know the timing and price of their buy/exits.

jamit_05

I am always interested in reading when someone has a perspective to share.

I hv developed a perspective, in which, i have a strong, well defined edge, even more than what technicals have to offer. I seek well managed companies, where reputation means a cent, but at a strong bargain price.

I absolutely, without a shred of doubt, do not see Mahaseam as a bargain at 165 since its PE was still 14... and that is a very high PE considering that fact that Mahaseam has seen PEs as low as 6 and never went above 8 before 2013.

Mahaseam's EPS fell by 50% in 2012-13. Now that is a sharp fall, once the voting shenanigans are over, the reality is likely to sink in.

And most importantly, if it doesn't and exactly the opposite happens and price reaches, say all time high, then I won't care. And nor will I discard my faith in Value Investing.

PS: Yes, I have failed in correctly predicting the price action of Mahaseam. I don't mind it, as that was not my intention.

Last edited:

jamit_05

While Mahaseam remained expensive and still is... it is a different story with BHEL.

PE of BHEL went as low as 6, which is probably all time low PE in the last decade... it was a good time to buy some, when it touched lows of 2006.

I still did not buy any as the performance looked very weak. It showed negative cash flow for the first time in several years... and i did not want to catch a falling knife.

jamit_05

I dont see a war. We cannot be warring with each other. It is a challenge to accumulate wealth, without major hiccups. And in that journey one is better off with more friends. There is no benefit in a war.

My reason for not buying anything any sooner, lies in my understanding of risk.
I see that when Nifty touches 52w lows, the price is "SAFE". The index, and most of its 50 underlying stocks are fairly priced.

In 2013, Nifty corrected, but failed to touch 52W lows. Now, 2013 lows is at 5100. Now, that has become my point of entry, where I will form my portfolio of strong reliable growth stocks. If it corrects further to 2012 lows of 4500, I will, without hesitation buy more.

And mind you, I have used good amount of TA to decide on the above. And I have used FA to know which companies are worth buying.

So, it is not a War... I cannot afford a war.

Plus, in my pursuit of intraday trading, I have learned that there is no right or wrong, but only capital protection. As long your capital is safe, you are right!

:)

jamit_05

I understand when you say that nifty won't touch 6000, and 5000 is out of the question. Sab yehi keh rahe hai. Market is at all time high and Modi is expected to change the nation. There is hope dosed with euphoria.

This hope may take a while to be fulfilled, if Modi sarkar decides to go hawkish to control inflation and stimulate real growth. There there is a chance that Nifty might correct a measly 25%... If not then my money is lying safe in FD. No harm done.

I am not parting with my cash unless I see super bargains. I want

HDFC Bank at 530
SBI at 935
BHEL at 65
Infy at 2200
TCS at 1600
Asian at 350
Axis at 775

And some more... :)

Last edited:
I dont see a war. We cannot be warring with each other. It is a challenge to accumulate wealth, without major hiccups. And in that journey one is better off with more friends. There is no benefit in a war.

My reason for not buying anything any sooner, lies in my understanding of risk.
I see that when Nifty touches 52w lows, the price is "SAFE". The index, and most of its 50 underlying stocks are fairly priced.

In 2013, Nifty corrected, but failed to touch 52W lows. Now, 2013 lows is at 5100. Now, that has become my point of entry, where I will form my portfolio of strong reliable growth stocks. If it corrects further to 2012 lows of 4500, I will, without hesitation buy more.

And mind you, I have used good amount of TA to decide on the above. And I have used FA to know which companies are worth buying.

So, it is not a War... I cannot afford a war.

Plus, in my pursuit of intraday trading, I have learned that there is no right or wrong, but only capital protection. As long your capital is safe, you are right!

:)
Special words from a special man. :thumb::clapping: Profit/Earning ratio: How is it valued in your view in any share portfolio? (I ask this even I really not went through your whole, nice thread in the last details. If I missed that subject, sorry and just point me in the direction you already did discuss this topic in your thread) Take care and have a nice evening :)