• Poll closed .

SwingKing

Position Sizing in Investments

Assuming account of Rs. 10 Lac
Risk per trade - Variable or based on historical volatility
Maximum positions - 20
No brokerage is assumed for simplicity

Initial Strategy

Now it is widely known that position sizing can vastly increase one's trading performance. In this post, I am going to highlight a simple technique which I use for positioning my trades. Please remember, position sizing is different for the kind of trade one undertakes. Here, I am going to explain position sizing for long term investments. Hence don't follow these techniques when you trade.

Now, lets say I identify Stock ABC as a potential investment candidate. Initially, I put in 1% of the account size, which in this case would be Rs. 10,000. If I have identified something as investment trade, I would definitely expect before hand what sort of levels that stock can attain. Usually, if everything remains normal, it is fine to assume that a good investment will double in 2-3 years. Hence, our motive should be to capture bulk of the move with the correct position size.

The maximum I invest in any one trade is 5% (in current market conditions) or 10% (if market conditions are extremely robust). At the moment, I would commit only 5% of my account size in one trade. So this means we need to start with investment of Rs. 10,000 and scale in positions till our investment reaches limit of Rs. 50,000.

TO start with, lets assume ABC is currently trading at Rs. 100. With an initial investment of Rs. 10,000, I would be in a position to buy 100 shares. I would then, scale in another Rs. 10,000 when ABC appreciates by 10% that is, Rs 110. Going forward, I will keep increasing my position at every 10% gain till my investment reaches value of Rs 50,000. When I do so, I would get an average price of Rs. 119.9 and number of shares equivalent to 417.

What if trades begin to fail

I will just mention two scenarios here and I would leave the rest for you to figure out.

Scenario 1: Stock Moves down from 100

In this case, we would incur a loss on 100 shares. That is, loss on Rs. 10,000. The amount of loss occurred is determined by the kind of exit strategy one uses. I have observed most traders keep stop losses in the wrong manner. They keep a fixed % stop losses for all stocks. Well this should not be done because every stock has different volatility levels and hence each stock must have a different stop level in % terms. Else, one simple way to limit large losses is to not incur loss of more than 20% of investment. Which in this case would be Rs. 2000 on investment of Rs. 10000.

Scenario 2: Stock Moves up to 110 and then collapses to 100 and then probably further.

In this case the average price would be 104.7 and we would get 191 shares. Well, the exit in this case is very simple. If the stock reaches Rs. 110, you would be in profit of Rs. 1000 (100 shares * 10 Rs gain) and it is here where you would add another Rs. 10,000. You would get roughly 91 shares at 110 level on investment of Rs. 10,000. SO, if the stock collapses and reaches Rs 100 again, you would be incurring a loss of Rs 910 (91 shares * Rs 10 loss). Once Rs 100 is reached, I would square off the add on position with a loss of Rs 910 and would have the basic 100 share position open which I took when I bought the first time. With this position, I would exit the same way like I did in scenario 1. Remember, our main motive is to ride a possible trend of 100 - 300 % and hence we should be prepared to take a loss of 20-30% on our investments. Since this percentage seems high, we diversify and position size to take loss at small quantity and gain at higher position size.

Isn't investing Rs. 50000 at one stroke better?

Well, lets work the math here. Typically, before getting on to the real trend, we would get whipsawed a great deal. Hence we need to ensure our losses are small. Now lets assume, I buy Rs. 50,000 worth shares when ABC was at 100. I would get 500 shares. If I take 20% loss on investment as stop loss, then I would roughly loose Rs 10,000 on one trade. Now imagine what if I have 5 such losses in a row. I would incur a total loss of Rs. 50,000, which by the way is 5% of my account size.

Now, going by our original plan of investing just Rs.10,000, we would have a loss of Rs.2000 on each trade. Even if we take 5 losses in a row, we would get a loss of Rs. 10,000 in total. This is only 1% of our account size and is totally acceptable. Remember, our main aim is to preserve capital. And once we learn how to do this, we will be far better money managers than we were earlier.

I hope this post helped many of you who wanted to position size properly. This is not exhaustive. Infact this is something I have worked on my own as it suits my style of investing. At times I scale in quickly if I find a stock moving at great pace. Hence, position sizing is also subjective and discretionary. If one wants advanced strategies, then one can refer to many writings by Van Tharpe.

Tc

SwingKing

Amen.... if that happens I wud seriously think about getting married to ADX... lolz... off lately i got profound results with it... my success to failure ratio is improving with it....
Apurv,

If possible, post in detail on how you use adx. This is something I want to learn; Using ADX on standalone basis for trading. If it's something you have put in a lot of time and effort and are not comfortable sharing it, then that's absolutely fine.

Tc dear.

Piuvbn

Ravinder,

I dont mind disclosing what indicator or tool of TA I am using but surely I wud not disclose my system or methodology... neither anybody else wud disclose his system especially not just to prove u wrong or himself right...

If u seriously wanting to progress further in learning technical trading, everybody here wud love to help... you might have ur account bottomed out because of your style of trading or discipline....

Bests,
Apurv
Respected seniors
Sometimes the comments are irritating,also loss of valuable space. Responding also loss of valuable time of experts. I,cant say about other,eagerly wait to see you people's discussion/disection of market scenario. Just a thought,ignoring those comments would be better idea. If one wants to learn humbleness is prerequisite. My best regards. Partha Roy

Apurv7164

Apurv,

If possible, post in detail on how you use adx. This is something I want to learn; Using ADX on standalone basis for trading. If it's something you have put in a lot of time and effort and are not comfortable sharing it, then that's absolutely fine.

Tc dear.
Raunakji,

Posting how I use the indicator is not a problem... I love to write, explain and debate on use of ADX... I will surely post how do I use ADX in swing trade as well intraday trade (still i need to test it for intermediate term)... just got up so will prepare and post it after getting refreshed...

I am sure you would have observed that I was awake entire night and also was active in forum last night which is today for you. It was for testing ADX in intraday. We have labor day holiday on monday (today) so i took the opportunity to do some intraday testing and found equally good results...

Bests,
Apurv

saivenkat

This "divergence" between the price making a new high and the CCI failing to do so is a signal that momentum in the up move is slowing, and that the move may be over, at least for the time being. This is essentially how all momentum indicators work. Am i correct?

Also the BBsqueeze has also started to show weakness during halfway stage itself.:D

Regards
Saivenkat:)

Apurv7164

My Beliefs:
  1. Any indicator or chart can talk to you if you spend quality time with it to learn and understand it especially construction and structure of it. ADX is not something exceptionally good. It is just I happen to read work of Dr. Charles and Chuck Lebeau and when implemented in my trading found good results so I continued with using ADX.
  2. Like any other indicator, ADX also has got lot of subjectivity involved.
What I still do not know:
  1. How to use it for intermediate time frame or lil more profit than swing of 5-7 %.
  2. When to exit – Currently I use 5% exit strategy. I seriously want to learn this combining any other indicator with ADX. I would appreciate if somebody helps me in this.
How do I use ADX/DMI:
  1. ADX to know trend strength but generally this is just informative nothing else – we all know how does this work. If ADX is above 20-25 and rising tells us trend is strong enough to trade in the direction.
  2. Relative analysis of ADX peaks i.e. comparing ADX peak with the past ADX peaks. This is very important to understand whether current down move is retracement or reversal. I would mark previous couple of ADX as +ADX or –ADX. When –DMI is above +DMI and ADX has formed peak, I wud say that ADX peak is –ADX and vice versa. Whenever, I encounter down move very first thing I would do is will compare current ADX peak which is -ADX peak for down move with the previous ADX peaks if current –ADX peak is significantly lower than previous couple of +ADX peaks then there is a possibility that current down move is complex correction rather than down trend.
  3. Range expansion and contraction on DMIs. Here I wud keep my eyes on DMI behaviors within the consolidation. For example – if range between 2 DMIs is expanding within the consolidation, I wud get early guess of which direction price going to break out. We should get into breakout only.
  4. Traditional use of DMI is to go long or short on crossovers. I do not give importance to cross over on standalone basis. I always want DMI to make new high after cross over. When I say new high, I mean DMI should make high above all the opposite DMI highs as well as same DMI highs within the consolidation period. If price breaks out or breaks down but respective DMI is not going above all DMI peaks within the consolidation period I wud not get into trade (Dr. Charles quote this as cross over high theory). The only exception (my observation) is DMI expansion within the consolidation. If DMIs have clear range expansion within the consolidation and respective DMI does not make new high on break out, I wud still get into trade. As Raunakji mentioned many times, sometimes we can make educated guess. However, I wud not recommend getting into trade without new high if you are not having sound understanding of this indicator.
  5. Cross & Hold and Dominant DMI – many times it happens that DMI does not give us trigger high on breakout. Does this mean we shud not get into trade on this type of breakout? I wud watch DMIs after breakout. If DMIs do not cross back in reverse direction and holds the original cross over, I wud get into trade as soon as DMI makes new trigger high. This is lagging signal but works so I thought of including it.
  6. DMI continuation high – many times we don’t get consolidation and have established trend. Why wud we let go trading opportunity presented by established trend or in other words why wud we not ride on established trend? I would wait for the price retracement and DMI contraction. Once it happened, I wud get into trade as soon as dominant DMI goes above its previous pivot high.
  7. DMI divergence – As we had discussed earlier, I am still not fully convinced with the divergence concept. However, I give lil importance to DMI divergence in getting information. Divergence between price and dominant DMI tells me that correction/retracement/reversal can be on cards. I do not take action based on this. I wud want price to confirm with the breakdown or lower high/low.
Putting all together:
  1. I usually trade where ADX is below 15 and preferably below 10 suggesting me currently price is in congestion or consolidation. I will watch price to give break out with the trigger high/low on respective DMI.
  2. When ADX is extremely low, DMI and price break out generally work for you. Very less chance of getting stopped out.
  3. Well established trend and retracement – First check relative ADX peaks with previous ADX peaks. If it suggests you that it is not trend change. Get into trend as soon as respective DMI makes continuation high. This works best when combined with MAs.
  4. I also combine John Hayden way of looking at Fibonacci and RSI with my ADX analysis. Since this is all together separate topic I am not going into much details here.
  5. I generally use 8 ADX of 13 DMI or 7 ADX of 12 DMI but also seen simple conventional 14 ADX and 14 DMI working equally well. I usually reduce look back period of ADX to make it little more sensitive.
  6. I mostly trade in the direction of higher time frame – I need to have weekly ADX telling me same story about trend when I want to trade on daily chart. Or I need to have daily chart telling me same story when I want to trade on 60 min or 30 min chart.
I have certain strategies defined to trade using these but I am keeping them with me. I am very confident that anybody can improve failure to success ratio understanding above concepts very well and being friends with ADX.

I am very much open for constructive and healthy debate on this if anybody having different opinion. Healthy debate and brainstorming always lead to greater insight and understanding.

Bests,
Apurv

VJAY

Dear Apurva,
Thanks for sharing info about adx.....if you post chart with above points it's very much helpfull to understand it better...(like me who not grabbing things from words :) )please do it if you don't mind to take a pain for us.....

Apurv7164

Dear Apurva,
Thanks for sharing info about adx.....if you post chart with above points it's very much helpfull to understand it better...(like me who not grabbing things from words :) )please do it if you don't mind to take a pain for us.....
Vijay,

I surely dont mind posting chart but traderji is allowing me to manage attachment to the max limit of only 100 kb. Now it is difficult for me to show all the examples within 100 kbs only.

However, kindly go through below mentioned charts for the points.

Go through USHA Martin daily chart for knowing relative ADX analysis and break out from consolidation and confirmation on DMI by making crossover high.

Also go through ACC daily chart for breakout confirmation on DMI. Weekly chart will show you relative analysis study.

Check 60 min Fed Bank chart for breakout confirmation on DMI. Daily chart of Fed Bank will give you relative analysis study also.

Check sonata software daily chart for probable dominance failure by -DMI. This is still under development.

Check Nifty daily chart for break down but -DMI did not made cross over high, neither cross & hold and maintain dominance.

Check TVS Srichakra chart for DMI range expansion example...

Bests,
Apurv

Last edited: