Be careful while buying Market data provider data feed

shanki99

I had once sent them an email reg their online support staff's rude behaviour....after couple of days, i just recd this.....

Hello,
Noted your grievance,
Our endeavour is to provide technical support to all clients 24x7.
We will trace the incidence and deter its repetition.
Please feel free to email us regarding any of your queries

Thank you,
Janice.
MDP Support.

:)If MDP misses a few ticks and Esignal gave all the ticks... would this chart look different....?

Issues like, quality of the data feed, size of the monitor, number of monitors, speed of internet, execution of trading platform... These all has a very small effect on the net result, as long as focus remains on discipline, ability to read charts and managing risk on trades taken. :D

let us take an example:
What happens if MDP gives a data tick as 401 with high volume instead of 398 as that of ESignal. Let us assume that previous resistance is at 400 and The chart definitely gives a breakout signal. So the consequence of trading on false data .......

linkon7

let us take an example:
What happens if MDP gives a data tick as 401 with high volume instead of 398 as that of ESignal. Let us assume that previous resistance is at 400 and The chart definitely gives a breakout signal. So the consequence of trading on false data .......
A reason we use filters is because resistance in not a price level but a price zone. If the previous resistance was 400, then we need a bar close above this with volumes, to confirm it as a breakout. If the high made is 398/401 and next bar retraces, its not a breakout...

I'll give u personal example... I went short at 4908 and the previous high was 4910 and i used 4912 as my SL, the SL got hit and it got executed at 4912.45. I again went short at 4906 and then it ran in my direction. MDP reported the high as 4911. It missed a few tick and my order was one of them.

The question here is, is it MDP's fault that i lost 4 points( plus brokerage) ?
No, It was faulty SL placement. Market just made a high of 4927 and then made a lower pivot high of 4910. My hard stop should always be one pivot higher when trading very narrow range. In a narrow range, there will be spike that attempt to hit SL just to force a direction swing. My ideal hard stop was 4927.... I put the SL too close and Nifty ate it just to remind me about my own rule. He charged me 4 points for the service rendered.

Even six months back, i would be so pissed off at getting my SL hit that i would not be able to re-enter at 4906. I would curse and blame everyone (but myself ) for my loss.

Six months back, I would mess up the day because of the 4 points, I would be hyper upset and end up not taking any more trades. Now a days, the same incident is just a nice story to tell new traders...

pkgmtnl

Dear Linkon,

actually there is a single point agenda is to condem MDP that too based on hypothetical assumption only.

So, there is no use explaining Support/ Res / Pivot etc.

shanki99

Dear Linkon,

actually there is a single point agenda is to condem MDP that too based on hypothetical assumption only.

So, there is no use explaining Support/ Res / Pivot etc.
Ha ha ha !

u are there omnipresent in all the posts, threads and forums to support MDP....who dares to question MDP??

now u even say that whatever others feel abt MDP and its services are hypothetical :(

Hello the house!
I notice that the belligerence of those who thrash MDP is a lot higher than those who dont. when opinions are so volatile, the truth almost always lies along the mean. So

I start the 3 day trial of MDP today and these are my observations.
1. I am told that OI plots are available only on live basis, It is not available in IEOD mode and even on EOD mode. Thi is hugely dissaponting. Even the most rudimentary data vendor manages to provide historical OI on EOD plots. How do you folks who use MDP deal with this?

2, I get price history for futures from mid 2007 and for cash from somewhere in 2002, as against history from 1994 as advertised. I am told demo versions can only see this much. Paid versions get the whole thing. Is this true?

3. Even if I want to do EOD analysis on fully backfilled data, I need to be online and connected to DP. Isnt this fucntionally limiting, say when one is travelling?

I appreciate your views. TIA
PS. Linkonji, your chart is impressive. Which front end (charting package) is this?

cheers!

Hello the house!
I notice that the belligerence of those who thrash MDP is a lot higher than those who dont. when opinions are so volatile, the truth almost always lies along the mean. So

I start the 3 day trial of MDP today and these are my observations.
1. I am told that OI plots are available only on live basis, It is not available in IEOD mode and even on EOD mode. Thi is hugely dissaponting. Even the most rudimentary data vendor manages to provide historical OI on EOD plots. How do you folks who use MDP deal with this?

2, I get price history for futures from mid 2007 and for cash from somewhere in 2002, as against history from 1994 as advertised. I am told demo versions can only see this much. Paid versions get the whole thing. Is this true?

3. Even if I want to do EOD analysis on fully backfilled data, I need to be online and connected to DP. Isnt this fucntionally limiting, say when one is travelling?

I appreciate your views. TIA
PS. Linkonji, your chart is impressive. Which front end (charting package) is this?

cheers!
I am running it Realtime and I notice that when I call for a security chart, the volumes on the current daily bar are a. wrong b. wildly disproportionate to volumes of the leading bars, thereby volume bar scaling goes for a toss. I presume this is corrected on the EOD broadcast, but during market hours, live bar volumes are completely misleading. Is there something I have to do to fix this? This along with non functional OI data makes it strike 2 for MDP.

any views, anyone??

I am running it Realtime and I notice that when I call for a security chart, the volumes on the current daily bar are a. wrong b. wildly disproportionate to volumes of the leading bars, thereby volume bar scaling goes for a toss. I presume this is corrected on the EOD broadcast, but during market hours, live bar volumes are completely misleading. Is there something I have to do to fix this? This along with non functional OI data makes it strike 2 for MDP.

any views, anyone??
I will again say go with the authentic services ,it will pay for itself in the long run.esignal costs 5200/mon or Rs 250 per trading day.If u dont expect even this much return from ur trading system,then either u need to work more on ur strategies or quit trading (this is not directed against u Kazaan but a general statement).Though I agree when u are working on ur strategies and not doing serious trading then having MDP makes some sense.Also if u have a specific requirement like just nifty data as in case of LInkon7,then also u can have MDP.I hope I am not being belligerent and hurting some people's sentiments.:lol:

I will again say go with the authentic services ,it will pay for itself in the long run.esignal costs 5200/mon or Rs 250 per trading day.If u dont expect even this much return from ur trading system,then either u need to work more on ur strategies or quit trading (this is not directed against u Kazaan but a general statement).Though I agree when u are working on ur strategies and not doing serious trading then having MDP makes some sense.Also if u have a specific requirement like just nifty data as in case of LInkon7,then also u can have MDP.I hope I am not being belligerent and hurting some people's sentiments.:lol:
I appreciate your views varincam, and also the point-to-point rebuttal of my E-signal woes post earlier. As far as Esignal goes, I'm sorry, I've been there, done that and not convinced. But like you rightly said, if you are not scalping for a living and trade on medium term moves, MDP seems to do the job. The time lag is consistently about 10seconds, and a new chart takes inordinately long to load on the demo.

While I agree with most here that the "ladies" on live support are not the most courteous, i had a long and fruitful conversation with "Elaine" . "She" commits to fix the volume spike issue and the OI issue in subsequent upgrades, but stops from committing a time. That's about as loose a commitment one can give. (Ironically, this is one issue that no other vendor has, seems like a basic feature that the MDP guys have failed to fix, while pursuing esoteric claims like "only vendor to provide live OI" while leaving usaid the fact that they do not provide EOD OI!!! the devil is in whats unsaid.)

I am planning a 1 month RT4 subscription to see how it handles my trading systems and RT explorations before deciding finally.

thanks for all your views. Trade well:thumb: