Restoring Traders/Investors Faith into Investing

rh6996

I didnt find the 20 year data, but are you saying 20% compounded over 20 years is bad ??? In what world are we, what are your expectations ffs ???
Apparently HDFC Equity Fund has had 20%+ returns for past 19 years:
http://www.valueresearchonline.com/funds/newsnapshot.asp?schemecode=219

I'd like to invest in mutual fund run by Einstein
What I understood was that HDFC Equity fund gave a return of 20% return in 19 years and NOT compounded return every year ! It comes to 1% per annum ! :p

TracerBullet

What I understood was that HDFC Equity fund gave a return of 20% return in 19 years and NOT compounded return every year ! It comes to 1% per annum ! :p
Then you obviously understood incorrectly. They are compounded returns . Go through the data again. HDFC Equity is infact one of the best diversified funds( top 5 certainly) over the last 10 years. They have grown big in size though butso far they seem to be still good. Other MFs have performed good too. You just have to select the good consistent ones instead of the short term topper.

In general i have a big distrust of these PMS stuff because of my previous encounter with them. I dont see why they should overperform Mutual Funds who have very good fund managers too and scale. Only thing i can understand is a smaller corpus might be more flexible but numbers dont lie.
I am sure there are good ones too but nothing like the exaggerated claims here. Ofcourse i could be wrong but then please provide links and numbers.

Here are some links for good Mutual Funds. Those sites also have some very good articles.

Last edited:

rh6996

My father in law follows a gentleman from 2001 ! His Portfolio has grown exponentially from 12 lakhs on Diwali 2001 to over 6.53 crores (as on 31st Mar 2014) ! He has been Investing regularly so dont know what is his capital in this 6.5 crore is ! Do know that he has stocks that have multiplied upto 40 times ! 6 baggers are very common !
Some of his holdings : Pantaloon retail (Exited), TV18(Exited), Bharti(Exited), Page (holding), Hawkins (Holding), Asian Paints (holding).... latest holdings in last few years : Cera(already multiplied 4+times in just abt 2 years) , Cummins, Repco entered on listing at ~176and added on increase of Rs.100/- at 275 and then at 335 and also small qty at 410 and now its 460 !
Luckily I too have a few shares out of these at awesome returns but have not been disciplined to get full benefit of the guidance!

Over 1 year all gains shown are CAGR or Compounded Annual Returns.

Smart_trade

I was looking at many midcap and small cap funds....they have given over 120 % returns in last 1 year and over 20 % CAGR for last 5 years....but they are too volatile...planning to get into some of them in a market dip.

Smart_trade

TracerBullet

My father in law follows a gentleman from 2001 ! His Portfolio has grown exponentially from 12 lakhs on Diwali 2001 to over 6.53 crores (as on 31st Mar 2014) ! He has been Investing regularly so dont know what is his capital in this 6.5 crore is ! Do know that he has stocks that have multiplied upto 40 times ! 6 baggers are very common !
Some of his holdings : Pantaloon retail (Exited), TV18(Exited), Bharti(Exited), Page (holding), Hawkins (Holding), Asian Paints (holding).... latest holdings in last few years : Cera(already multiplied 4+times in just abt 2 years) , Cummins, Repco entered on listing at ~176and added on increase of Rs.100/- at 275 and then at 335 and also small qty at 410 and now its 460 !
Luckily I too have a few shares out of these at awesome returns but have not been disciplined to get full benefit of the guidance!
Behavioural Biases can be very harmful. Many people only look at the best winners and ignore the loosers.
There is no harm in trying to create you own portfolio but it requires a good amount of skill and knowledge. Just dont be under delusions. Compare numbers.

Just as the fund manager, who i am sure is very good, Mutual funds also get some of these multi baggers. What matters is the result of the overall portfolio. Mutual Funds also have fund managers ...

20 % compounded over 20 years sounds small but is infact very significant. From a online calculator, it looks it will turn 100 into 3833.76 and its sounds about right - and do note that HDFC Equity is a more large cap fund with ~30% midcaps.

TracerBullet

I was looking at many midcap and small cap funds....they have given over 120 % returns in last 1 year and over 20 % CAGR for last 5 years....but they are too volatile...planning to get into some of them in a market dip.

Smart_trade
I just make a portfolio with diversified Equity Funds and add 30-40% of Midcap Funds ( Because of perceived Bull years in future). They are quite volatile. Small caps even more. So i dont have guts to put more :). Best would be to start SIP aggresively when market tanks bigtime but that is history now - maybe wont get that soon and its so hard to do it ...

Hi,Einstein and Members,

I have no idea in Mutual Funds...2012 start invest in 5 Funds with Dividend reinvestment plan..Except HDFC its closed ended plan and 2013 invest in Birla Frontline growth option..(Report was attached)

Before started i was confused...where and which fund to invest...Finally chosen Bajaj Capital all in under one roof...!!! Its near my house, branch manager also friendly.,

Last week i met branch manager, He recommends 4 fund they are..

1.HDFC EQUITY FUND
2.ICICI DISCOVERY FUND
3.IDFC PREMIER EQUITY
4.ICICI WEALTH BUILDER FUND (Unit Linked)

KIndly review above funds..if any suggestion..welcome..!!!

My Doubts,

a)Which is better Growth or Dividend Re-investment plan (Quantity will Increase)

b)Which is best Single Invest or SIP or Buy on dips NAV (Birla divided yield & icici pru dynamic =2 Funds added buy on dips..but i was missed Reliance vision @ 28 nav level)

Comprehensive Portfolio Performance & Valuation Report

Last edited: