Restoring Traders/Investors Faith into Investing

Einstein

I know my portfolio its too lengthy...it consume more time...recently few scripts exit and enter newly.,Now i try to reduce my portfolio with moderate profit...and plan to enter good scripts.,

I don't like hire some one....manage my portfolio...I like to learn...How to build strong portfolio...!!!

In my view, If i choose all sectors, each one or two best scripts....its good Portfolio or not ?...Suggest your views..!!!
Well.. choosing from sectors is another way of saying I don't understand the business. If you have find a company in a sector which is taking a beating, BUY. don't hesitate, there is no criteria of finding good businesses, make a list of all companies from a,b,c,d to z all companies in the index and start with a.

and yes, if you like to learn then I can suggest you some books here. I hope other readers can suggests some books too which I havn't read yet.

rkkarnani

Well.. choosing from sectors is another way of saying I don't understand the business. If you have find a company in a sector which is taking a beating, BUY. don't hesitate, there is no criteria of finding good businesses, make a list of all companies from a,b,c,d to z all companies in the index and start with a.

and yes, if you like to learn then I can suggest you some books here. I hope other readers can suggests some books too which I havn't read yet.
In context of Indian Market, there is a good book about Long Term Investment : The Thoughtful Investor !

Einstein

Few of my recent favorites:

Value Migration: adrian slywotzky
Flash Boys : Michael Lewis
surely You're joking mr. Feynmann (best, but not related to investment)

TracerBullet

Can you please provide any more details to backup this claim.

1) "MF long term performance is pathetic" - Plenty of them have beaten their respective indices comfortably over long term but i guess they are pathetic compared to fund managers? Ofc, no point comparing large cap MF with possibly midcap portfolios.

2) Details of these fund managers portfolio performance - is it openly available? I would like to see how they did in various phases long term. I can undertsand that they may do better as corpus is lower. What are their expenses? Do they make their portfolio public?

3) "samir arora's Helios capital which is current years best performer with 36% Gain" - How is this better than MFs in a bullish year? This is easily equalled or bettered by conservative diversified funds such as HDFC Equity , Franklin Prima Plus and comfortably beaten by any decent midcap fund say ICICI Discovery and HDFC Midcap

Why should i not invest in Mutual Funds that are bound by rules and have to provide all details publicly making it easier for us to track? I am not familiar with how these fund managers work, so please do tell. thanks
since you didnt reply, i guess MFs arent so bad ...

Einstein

You don't need anyone to tell you how to invest, its your money and you have to decide whats best for you. if you like mutual funds, thats also fine..

TracerBullet

You don't need anyone to tell you how to invest, its your money and you have to decide whats best for you. if you like mutual funds, thats also fine..
Actually i hoped you would provide some info on the funds managers, their performance and portfolios vs mutual funds, especially since you said MFs are no good.
I have no knowledege about them. Do they share these details publicly? Why do you prefer them over mutual funds? thanks

Einstein

I'll keep it very simple. In stock market, you can make more money then you can imagine, that is from compounding over time, not from 50% gain one year and 40% loss year after. Look at the the overall performance of Mutual funds for 3 year period, the best is 25-30% (even if they achieved more then that in ytd). 5 year performance is even worse.

some PMS managers are achieving compounding of 10-20% consistently. there are about 110-120 PMS managers in India as per SEBI website, and most do provide quarterly report on their website.