Votes: 8 25.0%
  • March 13th 2011

Votes: 5 15.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rrmhatre72

Quote:
Originally Posted by raunakagarwal
I'll ask you to post this query in options thread for a detailed overview. Also, if you are bearish in the market, you could also have followed what ST said, that is, simply buying put options.

Anyway with the strategy you have mentioned, I think you should be fine. Only concern is options eating away your profit. However, if you are a conservative trader, then this should work out well for you.

Whether markets will move up or not is difficult to answer. Indications have been for long that weakness is lurking underneath. But when does it materialize is something very difficult to answer.

Keep a SL of 5575 - 5600 in mind. I doubt we will reach 5600 levels. But then, I have been proven wrong so many times that it makes me feel really old at times. This is where Risk management comes into the foray.

Tc

Hi Raunak,

Appreciate your guidance
Hi Raunak,

I have worked on my positions as below.
Market was finding resistance in the range of 5470-80. Hence I sold my 5400call @117. This has given me 7points gain as my earlier buy was @110.
Again at the end of the day I baught it at 100.
So now my position at weekend is NF short @5445 & 5400CE buy @100.
I am sure there may be better ways to deal with positions. Appreciate your comments.

MurAtt

You could've shorted one more lot i.e. if you were feeling confident and then squared it off at a lower rate .. that would have given you some leverage points against your existing short.

Alternately, if you feel that we may not move down at all and simply range .. then you can sell PE and eat premium BUT that is still some time away, time decay period is still 15 days away

Albeit, if you feel mkt may move against your position now .. then you can buy next month Futures and keep holding till you feel that it no longer will move up. Then exit that.

Apurv7164

Friends,

Any idea about crash in Alok ind today? I am holding it since around 18.5 and even after today's heavy fall i m sitting on profit. Shall I book profit or today's crash is deceptive?

Bests,
Apurv

Apurv7164

Provide views on Relcapital?

It is in narrow range,BB contracted.Positive divergence on stochastic.
Does it mean,probability of breaking upside,with a sl at 775?
As per my method I heavily rely on ADX/DMI behavior. Currently it it show no trend zone so I wud wait for breakout above 800 with the confirmation on DMI and will add more position when ADX gives confirmation...

Apurv7164

Fellas,

Since this thread is related to trading strategies, I would like to share my collection which I consolidated from different books... Kindly experiment at your own risk... ;)
Currently I am researching on use of ADX/DMI. I have selected ADX/DMI because it is not so widely used and popular and hence cud give very effective signals. I wud surely share my study after sometime.

Buy Set ups

1 2 3 4 Method
1. ADX must be greater than 30
2. 14 days +DI reading must be higher than 14 days DI reading
3. Wait for the market to have 1 2 3 correction i.e. 3 consecutive intraday lower lows or 2 lower lows and one inside day
4. On day 4 only, buy 1 tick above day 3 high
5. Initial stop loss should be placed day 3 low.

Volatility Observations
1. Whenever 10 days volatility is 50% or less than 100 days volatility, large move is likely to occur
2. The longer the time frame a historical volatility remains under 50%, the larger the move will be
3. When these occurs look for the larger bar within last 9 days and trade in the direction of larger bar

The 8 day low reversal method
1. Day one must be 8 day low
2. Day two must trade above day one high
3. Day three or four or five or six must trade under the low of day two (this can be new low)
4. When condition 3 is satisfied, we buy one tick above day two high within next four trading sessions
5. Stop loss goes one tick below day two low

Spent Market Trading Pattern
1. Today it must make 10 period low
2. Todays trading range must be the largest range in last 10 trading sessions
3. Todays close must be in top 25% of the days range
4. Tomorrow or day after, buy one tick above todays high
5. Stop loss goes one tick below todays low

Sell Set ups

1 2 3 4 Method
1. ADX must be greater than 30. Higher the ADX is better
2. The DI must be greater than +DI
3. Wait for 1 2 3 rally i.e. three higher highs
4. On day 4, sell 1 tick below day three low
5. Keep stop loss near day three high

Double Volume Topping Method
1. Stock must be trading near or at three months high
2. Todays volume must be double the 15 days average volume
3. Either today, tomorrow or next day, stock must close below its open
4. When rule 3 is met within next 2 days, sell under the rule 3 day low
5. Initial Stop Loss should be placed at top of rule 3 bar

The 8 day low reversal method
1. Day one must be 8 day high
2. Day two must trade below day one low
3. Day three, four, five or six must trade above day two high (this could be new high)
4. When condition 3 is satisfied, we sell short one tick below day two low within four trading session
5. Stop loss is high of day two

Spent Market Trading Pattern
1. Today it must make 10 period high
2. Todays trading range must be the largest range in last 10 trading sessions
3. Todays close must be in bottom 25% of the days range
4. Tomorrow or day after, buy one tick below todays low
5. Stop loss goes one tick below todays high

Still student,
Apurv

Last edited:

SwingKing

Hi Raunak,

I have worked on my positions as below.
Market was finding resistance in the range of 5470-80. Hence I sold my 5400call @117. This has given me 7points gain as my earlier buy was @110.
Again at the end of the day I baught it at 100.
So now my position at weekend is NF short @5445 & 5400CE buy @100.
I am sure there may be better ways to deal with positions. Appreciate your comments.
Rrmhatre,

It is good to manage risk in markets. One way to do is with options (like you are doing) and the other way is to do it through low risk - high reward entry. This does apply to forex more where we don't have issues of gap up/gap down, But it works just fine in case of Stock Indexes.

One of the negative aspects of dealing in options to protect risk is that your profit potential gets limited. One really needs great deal of experience to know when to close an option leg so as to increase the profit points. But the point is, how many people know when to do that?

What I usually do is I prefer to enter in situations where i see a low - risk high reward trade. Say for example the current situation, I know the market is lacking momentum and hence any upmove is going to be slow. However, on the downside as the volatility picture is suggesting, Index could move down at a much faster pace. Hence, for me this is one of the parameters which makes it qualify as a low risk trade. Hence, I take positions according to my risk profile and forget about being right/wrong.

Hope this is of help to you.

Tc

SwingKing

Friends,

Any idea about crash in Alok ind today? I am holding it since around 18.5 and even after today's heavy fall i m sitting on profit. Shall I book profit or today's crash is deceptive?

Bests,
Apurv
It has a base around 18, but nothing more and nothing less. Many good stocks to focus on. Better to stay out of non performing stocks. With every bad investment, even if you don't loose money, you are indirectly loosing as every investment has an opportunity cost associated with it.

Tc