Tweaks/Experiments in Saint's Intraday Miniflow Method.

humble

Hello All,

First and foremost, I have to thank Saint sir for developing this wonderful method. According to me sharing this method on public forums to educate people is even greater than developing the method itself. With my little experience in life[I am just 25 :)] I am yet to see a person who is so selfless, kudos sir. I would also like to thank ST da, Kapil, and a lot of people from TJ and TraderSaint for having answered soooooo many of my questions :).

What am I referring here?
I have been paper trading Nifty Futures using the Intraday Mini Flow method. In this method we use the 30min TF charts. After last Friday's trade [March 20 2009], I was not happy with the way I could identify the reversals [It was not a trade reversal but infact the Price reversed, an early entry to such reversals is what i am referring here]. Almost throughout the entire week of March 16th - 20th, there were many days where Nifty Futures price reversed [After having gone high at one point it reversed and formed new lows/ after having gone low at one point it reversed and formed new highs]. Except for Friday on all other days, Nifty Futures reversed after having given considerable profits. close to 20-25 points.

On Friday, we could have used the breakdown/out failure or the move1/2 concepts and could have entered trades, a lot of fellow members did the same and made good profits. However, if one had stuck to the rules there could be profit of only 8-10 points or could have ended in losses. Having said this, I am in no way underestimating the concepts. All my concern is about having to identify this reversal and then confirm the reversal inline with the already existing concepts.

So, while trying to findout some way of identifying this reversal, I experimented with the "Exponential Averages" [EA]. After a lot of trial and error I ended with two EA's. I drew two curves one with EA as "2" and another curve with EA as "5". Now the interesting part was that "whenever/wherever there is a cross-over in the 30min TF of these two curves, on most occasions it refers to the reversal point". Please find the 30 min TF chart for friday attached below:

The cross-over of the WhiteCurve[EA 2] and BlueCurve[EA 5] at the point 2779.54 approximately would have been a good entry.

Another thing I would like to mention is that, the 15min TF can/should also be used to identify and confirm a Reversal. In case of a Reversal, the 15min TF would first show it, however if it is not shown in the 30min TF, then it does not form a reversal point. Please find the 15min TF chart for friday attached below:

As you can see there are more cross-overs identified in 15min TF shown by "Arrow" compared to the 30min TF. It is the 15min TF which initiates the cross-overs, but it should be confirmed with 30min TF as well, else there is likely to be no reversals. However, when we see the reversal in the 30min TF at 2.00 PM Bar, it is confirmed in the 15min TF as well. When I backtested this behaviour for the entire week, the results were positive. I believe we can use this additional method to identify reversals.

Also, please note that I am very new to Trading and I am still a student eager to learn a lot of things. I would want the seniors to comment on this and validate the same.

Regards,
-Sri

humble

Today was another interesting day, where the 30min TF showed a clear cross-over of the EA 2 and EA 5 curves. As mentioned in my earlier post the 15min TF did show more crossovers than the 30min TF, however, there was only one ocassion where it was confirmed in both 15min and 30min TF's.

Please find the chart for the 30min TF below: EA 2 is the whitecurve and EA 5 is the bluecurve.

Please find the chart for the 15min TF below: There were 2 cross overs.

I sincerely hope this would be helpful to a lot of people who are using the Intraday Mini Flow for Nifty Futures :).

Regards,
-Sri

Last edited:

manojkch

Dear Sri,
Thanks a lot for sharing your study. Excellent observation:clapping: We will back test it for at least three months and also forward test it simultaneously while trading 30 min flow. I generally utilize all tweaks for taking confirmatory signs when in doubt while trading 30 min flow (and not take it as stand alone tweak to enter 30 min flow but trying to developing another method.... not so experienced hence takes time and find it difficult but with the help of all TJ members it is possible)and my observation is that most of the times it helps to get right entry.

In similar line with your study, I am observing the EMA:8 ( no combination utilized yet ) from last 2 months to confirm the trend reversal. But being not thoroughly back tested , I have not posted it to avoid confusion. But my observation is that it is working and helping me a lot. I am also trying to combine Stochastic (8-15-5) and MACD (12,26,9) to support the 8 EMA direction.

Here I am posting my observation for 8 EMA alone.......
1)I generally considers the trend is reversed when 30 Min candle is closed above/below the 8 EMA and the subsequent 30 Min candle takes out its high / low with filter (7-9) and act accordingly ( confirmatory sign) on 30 min flow.

2)Also ,In gap opening days, it helps. For eg : Suppose the trade closed above 8 EMA ( at 3.30) and on next day the first 5 min candle is below 8 EMA, then my bias is to look for short with smaller filter , if the trade is range bound / not going above 8 EMA for another 1-1.5 hrs ( 3-4 , 30 min candles). Vice verse for long.

3)When the trend is changed to long (as per 8 EMA) and on subsequent day also the trade opened gap up ...... in that case , if the subsequent 30 min candle are making LH/LH / limp move( for eg 3 , 30 Min candles ) but not taking out our large MF, then in such situation as per our main method we say that there is no clear Move 1 and we utilse HOD/ 1st 5min candle high with large MF for going long. But as per this tweak, I will treat it as move 1 / pullback in an uptrend and will prefer to go long over previous candle high with small filter. Vice verse for Shorts.

Hope I am able to convey my observation in proper way.

There are other observations also but in process of study.

Your feedback will help it to improve hence please comment.

Thanks and regards.

Manoj