General Trading Chat

St sir want to take mutual fund for my son who is 2 year old which fund you recommend and how much dip or one time I should invest like you do waiting for dip and then take.others can also share their views
Any good diversified equity mutual fund will do.The SIP amount should be equal to the amount you will spend on your son like his school fees,toys,medical,.The most important is not to liquidate that fund for expenses like buying a car,travel abroad,buying TV etc and continue that fund for next 20-22 years .You can increase the amount after every 2-3 years as the income goes up.

There are many good funds from ICICI,Birla Sunlife,Franklin Templeton,HDFC .You can get the comparative performance on Internet.

ST

Last edited:

vagar11

St sir want to take mutual fund for my son who is 2 year old which fund you recommend and how much dip or one time I should invest like you do waiting for dip and then take.others can also share their views
No one has been really able to time the market correctly. I would suggest you to do a SIP instead of waiting for a dip. Because, we don't know if we are sitting at the start of the bull run and If we keep looking for a dip then we might even this lose chance of investing at low prices.

But, you can invest more in case the market goes down. By going down I mean a low P/E of Nifty.

Thanks sir for the educational article but the returns on mutual fund are not matching my experience.Though I am in favour of Equity MF but returns seem to be incorrect.I had invested in a pure equity based mutual pension fund from HDFC which invested all returns back into the fund.Started on a NAV of around 13 in 2004 today it is at 130 after fund expenses etc.A return of 10x.Considering that initially for 5 years it could invest only 70% in equity and rest in debt.So taking figures from 2009 NAV was 38 so a return of approx 3.4x in 7 years.I was told by the fund manager that this was a better performing fund as one could not withdraw from it and expenses were very small which it is.For example 99% of amount invested and only 1% charged as fund fees.There is no other insurance or life coverage.
In contrast from 2004 property had appreciated a little faster at 12x in my area and from 2009 it was around the same at 3.3-3.5x.So his example of choosing any fund blindly seems to be a little exaggarated and biased.This is just for educational purpose and not to cast any criticism on that great presentation.
The reason for writing this note was to get some advice as to where I went wrong as according to me these returns were quite healthy.

Thanks sir for the educational article but the returns on mutual fund are not matching my experience.Though I am in favour of Equity MF but returns seem to be incorrect.I had invested in a pure equity based mutual pension fund from HDFC which invested all returns back into the fund.Started on a NAV of around 13 in 2004 today it is at 130 after fund expenses etc.A return of 10x.Considering that initially for 5 years it could invest only 70% in equity and rest in debt.So taking figures from 2009 NAV was 38 so a return of approx 3.4x in 7 years.I was told by the fund manager that this was a better performing fund as one could not withdraw from it and expenses were very small which it is.For example 99% of amount invested and only 1% charged as fund fees.There is no other insurance or life coverage.
In contrast from 2004 property had appreciated a little faster at 12x in my area and from 2009 it was around the same at 3.3-3.5x.So his example of choosing any fund blindly seems to be a little exaggarated and biased.This is just for educational purpose and not to cast any criticism on that great presentation.
The reason for writing this note was to get some advice as to where I went wrong as according to me these returns were quite healthy.
Are you considering appreciation in plot of land ? If you are considering flats then 10 X is a very good appreciation in your area.

I have bought a flat in 2001 and still holding it.It gave appreciation of 9x Max if I go to sell it today.If I had invested same amount in HDFC equity fund growth,it would have given nearly 25x.

Smart_trade

Are you considering appreciation in plot of land ? If you are considering flats then 10 X is a very good appreciation in your area.

I have bought a flat in 2001 and still holding it.It gave appreciation of 9x Max if I go to sell it today.If I had invested same amount in HDFC equity fund growth,it would have given nearly 25x.

Smart_trade
You are right sir but after the initial spurt there is no appreciation in the prices in the last 2-3 years.Flats have appreciated by 10x while land by 12x.
I wanted an opinion over the return made by my fund.Is 10x a good return since 2004 or over 11 years,I feel it is a good return,Most of the funds have made around 9-11x.Thanks in advance

You are right sir but after the initial spurt there is no appreciation in the prices in the last 2-3 years.Flats have appreciated by 10x while land by 12x.
I wanted an opinion over the return made by my fund.Is 10x a good return since 2004 or over 11 years,I feel it is a good return,Most of the funds have made around 9-11x.Thanks in advance
Yes,10X is a good appreciation as most funds have given 8.5 to 10 X in 2004-2016 period.

ST

vikas2131

In my area , land has appreciated even faster...back in 2000..i could buy a good peace of land in 2-3 lakhs..now even 1 crore is not enough...

In my area , land has appreciated even faster...back in 2000..i could buy a good peace of land in 2-3 lakhs..now even 1 crore is not enough...
It won't be easy to protect land costing over Rs 1 Cr from land Mafia,encroachment and goons. One needs political and goon power for that.

Smart_trade