Indian Trading League / SAMCO

TraderRavi

low risk profile
2-3 days ago no. 1 was with 700% returns in world championship , now at no. 2 with 267%, suffered huge losses in between . people take more risk in these type of championships in comparision to their normal account.
in forex section , no. 5 was with 1% profit last week after almost 5 months (jan - may) => mostly/almost all in negative :lol:
still no one 100% up , no. 1 with 70%.

cinderblock

This is a profitable strategy. However, this would mean that 63/64 accounts would have to blow up for a winner to emerge with near 1000% returns. Which would mean an outgo of Rs 16 lacs (63*25,000). On top of this the brokerage would have to be absolutely positive that no other participant gets near this winning percentage or their plans would go to waste.

Aditionally, it would be difficult to find the same stock that is consistently going to be moving 8-10% in the FnO segment on a monthly basis.
:thumb:

Good, something sensible. Yes, it does mean 63 accounts end up bust. Yes, but it'd be difficult for an individual trader to beat 1000% in 6 months on his own. Dont you think?

The brokerage itself has nothing to lose, since overall it's running a neutral strategy. One account's loss is another account's gain. Equal long and short each month.

Correct, same stock 8% month after month is difficult. Maybe switch to a different stock after each series. For instance DLF, JP, then switch to Infy during results month :) Probably find stocks with a high monthly standard deviation. Low priced FNO stocks.

Let me know if you have other ideas.

ITL has different segments for investors investing in shares. But for futures and options traders it is a common segment. It would help if they start different segments for futures and options so that all will be on equal footing and then we can compare returns of different winners.

Smart_trade

nirav_j

ITL has different segments for investors investing in shares. But for futures and options traders it is a common segment. It would help if they start different segments for futures and options so that all will be on equal footing and then we can compare returns of different winners.

Smart_trade
The 1cr figure has really got people in a frenzy ..

Samco is using this figure to lure retail guys who weren't even aware of discount broking in the first place ...

While they will no doubt see a flurry of a/c opening activity, it will create some serious overload for their staff. ...

In times of emergency, even Zerodha has trouble answering calls in a timely manner.I wonder how samco will deal with a deluge of increased call volume, many of them could be a basic help with operating nest..

They did face this issue with getting back at emails itself already ..

Blackhole

Smart_trade
Sir ,Did u mailed them regarding this! It would put lot of weight when Moderator of one of the leading forums in the country would suggest them about it!

few more pointers like more winners of weekly monthly annual instead of just 3, for instance 20 or 100 in each segment and apart from top 3, rest will only get waiver in brokerage as a prize.

at least 100 in each segment should get brokerage waiver, unless the fight is not among 100. I believe the competitors would be more than 10000.

Leader board should show say top 100 or 200 in each segment. That would motivate, small players like me and other retailers.

there are many...but for now its ok.

thanks
happy trading

Last edited:

Blackhole

The 1cr figure has really got people in a frenzy ..

They did face this issue with getting back at emails itself already ..

They would definitely face the music as they took a huge canvas (brand name) to promote. so they might have contingency plan in place. Might lure some new traders + seasoned traders (discount and brand traders)

well i am happy man. I wanted to open bse/commodity account as i do not have! well i was tired of paying amc to demat company. so decided to change all the demats in basic services.

I opened all the account s with samco free of cost and will the change the demat status to basic by the year end.:thumb:

Just need to focus more on trades and money management instead of jumping and taking huge risk.

I will do the trades same way as i do. Play your natural game. Take the advantage of this oppurtunity.:)

thanks
happy trading:)

:thumb:

Good, something sensible. Yes, it does mean 63 accounts end up bust. Yes, but it'd be difficult for an individual trader to beat 1000% in 6 months on his own. Dont you think?

The brokerage itself has nothing to lose, since overall it's running a neutral strategy. One account's loss is another account's gain. Equal long and short each month.

Correct, same stock 8% month after month is difficult. Maybe switch to a different stock after each series. For instance DLF, JP, then switch to Infy during results month :) Probably find stocks with a high monthly standard deviation. Low priced FNO stocks.

Let me know if you have other ideas.
It is fully possible to find stocks with high standard deviation specially surrounding major news events such as earnings or court verdicts in case of DLF etc. And the idea of this strategy has full merit (even if it be only for this particular instance, due to prize money being 1 crore, else it would be a neutral strategy under normal market conditions as you've mentioned). And the brokerage house can in full earnest attempt it discreetly if they feel they won't be caught. The trades are apparently audited by independent 3rd party auditor and if they find instances of collective trading (which this would clearly be a case of, then participant would be disqualified). So I guess, some smart person would have to prove this occurred (maybe someone on traderji can do it, since you've been generous enough to raise the issue here.)

Just an after thought, the rules also state making a minimum of 20 round trades, although i don't find this to be too cumbersome to overcome with this plan. But hopefully it might just add enough complexity to deter collective dealing.

Also, if such an event does take place in practice, then we should start seeing common names on the winners list from month 4/5 onwards (with same winning percentages, might raise a few eyebrows :annoyed:) . Maybe that's why they've kept the winners list short at just top 3. It would be easier to detect this event if a longer list is to be provided

Last edited:

cinderblock

Also, if such an event does take place in practice, then we should start seeing common names on the winners list from month 4/5 onwards (with same winning percentages, might raise a few eyebrows :annoyed:) . Maybe that's why they've kept the winners list short at just top 3. It would be easier to detect this event if a longer list is to be provided
:D :D

I don't know how much you earn but you should be earning more!

deba72

Though theoretically this manipulation is possible, I feel they stand to gain much more business by awarding this to a genuine winner rather than trying to keep the money themselves. Also I think this event is not an one time one and this will continue to evolve over time and who knows tomorrow someone may else come up with even a better and more attractive competition...

Last edited:
Though theoretically this manipulation is possible, I feel they stand to gain much more business by awarding this to a genuine winner rather than trying to keep the money themselves. Also I think this event is not an one time one and this will continue to evolve over time and who knows tomorrow someone may else come up with even a better and more attractive competition...
I positively hope that they can continue this competition in the future, as this is definitely a great platform to compete on for all aspiring traders. As far as calculations on brokerages goes, I consider myself to be an active trader. In the past one year period I placed about 800 round trades (which translates to a brokerage of Rs 32000, Rs 40 per round trade as being charged by Samco, the organizers of this league). So yes, if they can get about a 1000 serious traders, you're looking at revenues close to Rs 3 crore which more than cover for the prizes on offer.