job as a trader

Hi,

What are educational qualifications needed to be an employee of a proprietary trading firm? Is MBA Finance mandatory? If yes, then is i to be done full time/part time, from IIMs?

Regarding me, I am an engineer interested in trading full time. Read a lot of books, but do not have an MBA Finance, which I can do only through Distance Learning.

Regards,
Good Old Raj.

iGuru

Hi Raj,
If you want to know regarding or to trade as Proprietory trading / Trader, then I can differentiate by two ways:

Jobbing (Proprietory trading) Here a trader basically trade in small capital i.e. Rs. 1 2 lakhs depending upon their experience. In this type of profile an educational qualification needed is min. Graduate (even 12th pass also can do jobbing...... depends on broker). Most of the brokers have their own jobbing desk. Where they provide training for min six months and then only they allow you to do jobbing for them. Sharing varies from 60 -80% depends on performance.

Trading Desk (Trader) Here a trader basically trade in big capital....... i.e. Rs. 100-500 million even more then it. In this type of profile an educational qualification needed is min. Post Graduate in finance & statistics and that is also form a reputed college like IIMs etc.

Apart from the above two criteria, if you want to do trading in your own account then you dont need to worry about it. As you can open an account & trade.

Regards,
iGuru

bharatk8

GoSTX.de is also hiring traders.They ask traders to undergo trial for 3 week before offering real money to trade.They do not conduct interviews, like futurefirst.No qualification is specified.But during trial their support is pathetic.Do not bother to ask historical data because If you ask for historical data they will provide 5 year old data with lots of gaps.If you are technical trader than you have to be prepared to buy RT data on your own at high price.Because data available on their terminal is of no use as it does not have provision of backfilling.their charts are useless., they want you to trade cash scrips on XETRA(German Exchange) without margin funding.It is strictly intraday trading.You can not carry forward trade next day.

hey ankit garg, i read the post you wrote on the topic JOB AS TRADER. i am looking for job as trader as i have strategies to trade. i have previous records also. can you tell me where can i get more info abt it .....

Hey ankit

can you please help me to find a job in any broker house...
Are there any firms which provide funds for traders to trade on profit sharing basis?
i myself worked as technical analyst in berkeley securities, chandigarh... now i am looking for a change...

Hey ankit

can you please help me to find a job in any broker house...
Are there any firms which provide funds for traders to trade on profit sharing basis?
i myself worked as technical analyst in berkeley securities, chandigarh... now i am looking for a change...
See Yash dude i don't know how old you are but I know many investment bankers and believe me this is the best job .....maybe in the world.

First thing you should do is get an MBA from a top tier institute for which you need to study for GMAT for a year, if you study even 4 hours a day and practice previous GMAT questions you should be able to get atleast 670-700 which really brightens your chances of MBA

Once you get this believe me it will be much easier to get a job as an investment banker or a trader or an analyst or whatever you like .... take your pick. Even if you lose your jo tomorrow because of your superior qualification you'll not have much trouble in geting another job. i know this for a fact. I know an investment banker who was fired and got an even higher paying job the very next day (because he was from IIM)

I don't know what your qualification is but if its just a normal engineer or graduation or ordinary MBA or something and even if you get a job through some connection in a trading firm, tomorrow if you lose your job you'll be destitute also your promotion prospects will not be very good.

I know some many small brokers who shut shop and all there employyes found themselves on the street.

Try to get a good qualification then many doors will be open for you, alternately if you have your own large capital to trade then you can trade it yourself as iguru pointed out quite correctly.

See Yash dude i don't know how old you are but I know many investment bankers and believe me this is the best job .....maybe in the world.

First thing you should do is get an MBA from a top tier institute for which you need to study for GMAT for a year, if you study even 4 hours a day and practice previous GMAT questions you should be able to get atleast 670-700 which really brightens your chances of MBA

Once you get this believe me it will be much easier to get a job as an investment banker or a trader or an analyst or whatever you like .... take your pick. Even if you lose your jo tomorrow because of your superior qualification you'll not have much trouble in geting another job. i know this for a fact. I know an investment banker who was fired and got an even higher paying job the very next day (because he was from IIM)

I don't know what your qualification is but if its just a normal engineer or graduation or ordinary MBA or something and even if you get a job through some connection in a trading firm, tomorrow if you lose your job you'll be destitute also your promotion prospects will not be very good.

I know some many small brokers who shut shop and all there employyes found themselves on the street.

Try to get a good qualification then many doors will be open for you, alternately if you have your own large capital to trade then you can trade it yourself as iguru pointed out quite correctly.

you need no qualification to be a trader.. put the time and effort you spend studying and earning these qualifications to learing trading.. my opinion though :). Capstone in pune and futurefirst are 2 companies i have tried to get a trading job.. got selected for capstone but didnt go for some reasons.. Futurefirst i wanted to join, but couldnt get selected.. and you can appear for interview at futurefirst only once

you need no qualification to be a trader.. put the time and effort you spend studying and earning these qualifications to learing trading.. my opinion though :). Capstone in pune and futurefirst are 2 companies i have tried to get a trading job.. got selected for capstone but didnt go for some reasons.. Futurefirst i wanted to join, but couldnt get selected.. and you can appear for interview at futurefirst only once
hello

I'm planning to go for the interview in capstone next week. Can you brief me about the interview procedure and what sort of questions are there in the aptitude test preferably with some examples and in personal interview round.
If you were selected then may i know why u did not join? any specific reason?:)

True you dont need any qualification, fact is you dont need any qualification to do anything in life there are so many examples, Steve Jobs etc but they are the exceptions not the rule.

If you can reach that level then well and good but most people won't be able to.

Don't know anything about Capstone but do know about futuresfirst, in that company the firing rate is so high even IIT/IIM guys find it hard to survive.

In fact I know an IIT guy who was fired from there he of course got another job fairly easily but even then it went against his record those who don't have the IIT/IIM chappa and are fired might have to drive auto rikshas especially when the downturn in the economy happens in 2014-2015

You wont find IIT's/IIM guys driving auto rikshas or becoming real estate agents.

Your qualification will be with you for the rest of your life and it really is a big plus. I would still advocate anyone keen on a career in financial trading (depends on how old they are of course ... that's the first thing i said) to spend a year studying to get a good qualification rather than spend the same one year learning trading in some firm without any real qualification as a backup