M6 - Man, Mind, Money, Markets, Method & Madness

Dabba trader following 'Modified Martingale Strategy' goes broke

So we now have answer to the question below. How smart is it to add one lot to your short position, when the market moves x points against you? The answer : Not very - or it depends. If you know (or are not aware of the risk of) what you are doing. It's fine if adding to a short position when the market moves says 100 points away from you - when the market is in a downtrend or sideways. But if you have a system (or lack thereof) and are doing something basis 'what has worked' or your past experience of making money - even if over a period of time, the market will eventually catch up, and hurt badly.

I was looking fw. to meet this 'Dabba trader' again on this visit to Gujarat, who for some period of time, had made good amount of money, consistently. This time, however, his shop was closed, and he was nowhere to be seen. So I asked my friend (who was a passive investor and a partner in his scheme) as to what happened. He remarked - This is *#$## pure gambling.... The 'Dabba trader' had folded up and had to close all his short positions having incurred a 16 lakh rupee loss. :(

The market is unforgiving, and has the capability to take away all the winning and some more from a trader or an investor, at any point of time. Any trader intending to be long time standout, (while traders around him fold away and fade over time), has to make understanding of his strategy and understanding the market, a cornerstone for a start. Add to that, he has to understand his own mindset and psychology, to be able to implement his strategy or trade it with confidence in real time. So this becomes the third leg to the stool which gives balance. And lastly, having all these three, one has to have proper risk and money management in place. No matter how well financed a trader is, if the position sizing and risk management is not in place, a trader can place his entire capital at risk go bankrupt. In essence, a trader over time has to imbibe all good practice to succeed.

So what did this 'Dabba' trader do wrong? In my view : He failed to read the market sentiment. While shorting on every 100 point rise would have worked in a falling or a sideways market, the strategy should have been reversed to go long and 'add' position on every 100 point fall in the index in a rising market. A simple look at charts or having mind in synch with the market would have sufficed. Trading can be simple and easy - if one's mind and position is fluid and in synch with the market and the timeframe one is trading. Else one will see every up and down move in index corresponding to his/her heartbeat. :( :( :( Not a good way to trade in the long run. So finally, another trader bites the dust. Sobering thought, considering the size of the loss, and a lesson about having 'firm conviction' of a winning strategy - while disregarding risk management.

Originally Posted by DSM (Post 935781)
Was exchanging notes with a guy who is a 'Dabba Trader' This is what he has to say with full confidence. Only 'Dabba Traders' take money away from the market. I know these guys trade without stop loss and live dangerously. Many of these guys following modified Martingale strategy (adding the same lot size to position - but not doubling) as the market moves certain points against them) as they have a directional view of the market. How smart is that? For what it is worth, I asked this guy for his view on Bank Nifty. His call for Monday? : Sell Bank Nifty around 10,230-250 for a target of 10,150

I had previously met another Dabba Trader when I went on a visit to Gujarat. While talking to him in his office, he removed a printout of his ledger extract from his broker. He had made 70K that month, and his average take was around 50K each month.

What is surprising is that both these guys trade basis their familiarity of the numbers or levels. They know the support and resistance levels to buy and sell. But if I were to ask them to look at the chart, am sure, it would not make sense to them. This guy was a real-estate broker and a part time trader. He did not even own a laptop or computer and would not even know what a candlestick would be!! And as against the regular traders, most of these guys are perennial bears. But what matters in the end I guess is that one makes money - though it should not happen that a day comes that they blow up badly. Some food for thought.

P.S : Dabba is a word meaning 'box' or 'container' and equivalent of the 'Bucket trading shops' in the US before it was outlawed there. Dabba trading is illegal as it is off line trading and not connected to the stock or commodity exchange. It is risky as well, since counter party risk is not known.
Actually this is not a Dabba Trading....it is averaging the loosing positions in martingale way. Dabba Trading is when a dabba trader takes a position against his clients positions and they make money on the fact that most clients loose money . Clients book profits quickly and keep holding and averaging loosing positions and finally liquidate either themselves or forced liquidation for want of margins and M to M losses. Suppose the client wants to buy 500 Nifty, Dabba trader will see the rate on the terminal and give a kaccha bill at that price. He does not execute the trade in the market so it is a position hidden from stock exchanges and margining systems. So he effectively takes opposite position ( short in our example ) to that of his clients. If the prices go up, clients book small profits...so it is a small loss to the operator...but if the market goes down , client holds, adds to his loosing position and makes a larger loss which is a profit to the Dabba operator.

They take 10 % upfront margin and do M to M at the end of every week ...some have Thursday as their M to M day.

Dabba operators dont take positions against a trader who keeps stoplosses and who runs his profits. I have known few Dabba operators and they do pay in and payouts based on M to M very efficiently ( as they say that dishonest business is conducted most honestly )....but all in cash....so this business is unsafe and illegal and also a punishable crime.

Smart_trade

Last edited:
The basis of Dabba trading is out of 10 clients only 2 will make small profits which is a cost to Dabba operator...but 8 guys will loose larger money which is profit for the Dabba operator...They also have maximum trade limit like 5000 Nifty or such depending on his risk taking capacity.

ST

DSM

Thanks ST, for some more info. on 'Dabba trading' I used the term 'Dabba' as is generally referred to when a trade is done in a script say Nifty, BankNifty or in commodities - unofficially i.e where a long or short position is created but not reflected on NSE/BSE/MCX and without ofcourse paying for all govt. taxes.

Actually this is not a Dabba Trading....it is averaging the loosing positions in martingale way. Dabba Trading is when a dabba trader takes a position against his clients positions and they make money on the fact that most clients loose money . Clients book profits quickly and keep holding and averaging loosing positions and finally liquidate either themselves or forced liquidation for want of margins and M to M losses. Suppose the client wants to buy 500 Nifty, Dabba trader will see the rate on the terminal and give a kaccha bill at that price. He does not execute the trade in the market so it is a position hidden from stock exchanges and margining systems. So he effectively takes opposite position ( short in our example ) to that of his clients. If the prices go up, clients book small profits...so it is a small loss to the operator...but if the market goes down , client holds, adds to his loosing position and makes a larger loss which is a profit to the Dabba operator.

They take 10 % upfront margin and do M to M at the end of every week ...some have Thursday as their M to M day.

Dabba operators dont take positions against a trader who keeps stoplosses and who runs his profits. I have known few Dabba operators and they do pay in and payouts based on M to M very efficiently....but all in cash....so this business is unsafe and illegal and also a punishable crime.

Smart_trade

DSM

Dan, Guess you are asking details about the trade that went bust. No idea really. I did not ask the same - as I had not met the trader but got this info. from my friend who was a passive investor and partner in this scheme, and who lost the money. But just to give you the idea, the total turnover from this type of illegal trading activity is huge, and is pegged to be about a 30-40% of the official turnover of the two major national exchanges i.e NSE and BSE. :(

@DSM and @Smart_trade

What about: Time and sales?

DSM

Great trader's take on money :

Managing money requires more skill than making it - Unknown

I'm more concerned about controlling the downside. Learn to take the losses. The most important thing about making money is not to let your losses get out of hand - Marty Schwartz

I'm always thinking about losing money as opposed to making money. Don't focus on making money, focus on protecting what you have - Paul Tudor Jones.

If you have an approach that makes money, then money management can make the difference between success and failure... ... I try to be conservative in my risk management. I want to make sure I'll be around to play tomorrow. Risk control is essential - Monroe Trout

If you personalize losses, you can't trade - Bruce Kovner

The best traders have no ego. You have to swallow your pride and get out of the losses - Tom Baldwin

The goal of a successful trader is to make the best trades. Money is secondary - Alexander Elder

Never risk more than 1% of your total equity in any one trade. By risking 1%, I am indifferent to any individual trade. Keeping your risk small and constant is absolutely critical - Larry Hite

Markets are constantly in a state of uncertainty and flux and money is made by discounting the obvious and betting on the unexpected - George Soros

Buy or sell as per market running Rate.

You can't fix s/l as you wish....either below day's low or above the day's high...or you have to close the position whenever you feel..

Normally weekly settlement by cash...either profit or loss..
@DSM

Thanks for you post. :)

@Rish

Also thanks for your post. I may confused the whole thing, but this is what I check and this is what I meant with my little post. Here we see the actual traded price on the strike level, we see the volume which was traded and we see at what time it was traded. In this way we know if we where filled and we know at what time we where filled. Through this we at least have some control about what we not can control, as we stay depended on our broker as long as traded purely on line and not having any direct contact to the floor.

Enjoy your day :)

DSM

So, who want's to be a Billionaire?

There's a joke about a mean guy asking God that in 'next life' he should be Billionaire. So God grants him his wish, and he is then re-incarnated in Zimbabwe, where he becomes a multi-billionaire. :)

The pics. are interesting reminder as to why the central banks lay much emphasis on controlling inflation.

A multi-millionaire - in Zimbabawean dollars

And to get an idea - what 100 Billion Zimbabawean dollars would get you

Wonder how difficult it can be to count.....

The cost of one beer.

Paying the restaurant bill.

Last edited:

Rish

@DSM

Thanks for you post. :)

@Rish

Also thanks for your post. I may confused the whole thing, but this is what I check and this is what I meant with my little post. Here we see the actual traded price on the strike level, we see the volume which was traded and we see at what time it was traded. In this way we know if we where filled and we know at what time we where filled. Through this we at least have some control about what we not can control, as we stay depended on our broker as long as traded purely on line and not having any direct contact to the floor.

Enjoy your day :)
I hope the subject is related to "Dabba Trading"

Normally, Script option selling and buying / Nifty option selling facility is not available.

Since, it is un official, as long as if we get our rate and volume, contract is executed.

Only risk, if all his clients (Dabba "unofficial broker") starts making profit, he will shutdown the shop...

Normally in 1992, no specific period for Delivery and Settlement in Exchange.

After sometime, Delivery period (settlement) has been fixed Wednesday to Tuesday..

Now, it is Daily cycle..

So, people use to trade volume those days with less money, still prefer this Dabba Trading...