Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Firstly before you get margins to trade in futures the applicable haircut has to be applied in accordance with the exchange...

For reliance the haircut is around 20% and can go up when markets get volatile...

So with Rs 5lks of Reliance, once the haircut is applied(20%), you will have Rs 4lks that can be used as margin... To trade futures intraday, margin required is 50% of SPAN margin, but it can go up as and when the markets get volatile....

Now exchange also says that you can't have only stocks as margin, there should be securities to cash ratio of 2:1 atleast... So basically if you are using 4lks of your reliance as margin, you need to have Rs 2lk in your account as cash also...

So, if you setup a scenario like above , with 15000 as intraday margin , you can buy 40 lots of reliance future.... Now another thing is, presently you can't use stocks as margin for overnight positions, you will have to hold reliance only to the extent your 2lks in cash will let you hold... At 40k for total margin on reliance, you can hold 5 lots for overnight position...

Hopefully this clarifies...
Hi sachin

The above post is very confusing , to him you have told that you will not give overnight margins for futures postions against stocks and he has to bring in cash for that and also pay the MTM

To me you have written that i can short 25 lack worth of nifty against 25 lack worth of RIL/ONGC and i just need to arrange for a the negative MTM
in cash so that my position is not squared off by you ( that is your reply in Email sent to me )

To my query in this thread you told me that if i hold RIL / ONGC i can not just hold nifty futures but also hold the position even if i am in Loss till certain amount if i have reliance in my DMmat ( which was 4-5 lack if i remember correctly )

When we cannot take a position its not possible to open an account i am just about to reach back home in few days as i am travelling i was just about to apply for an account

Reliagre charges me .005 with 1 lack advance brok which i had negotitated to 75 000 rs P A but i have complete peace of my mind there i am not sure if i take a postion at ZERODHA will it not be auto squared off as every week you guys have a diffrent take on margins KINDLY SOLVE THIS ISSUE FOR ONCE

If exchange say you need to have 2:1 ratio of stocks and cash then why is every broker giving margin against stocks are the blatantly breaking the rules

Mayank

amit_15

Hi ZO,

I am currently trading with you. When a trade is executed, I also place my target order and SL order. So, I have a total of 2 orders placed for any trade. Is it possible in NSE NOW that if target order is executed, then SL order gets canceled automatically or vice versa? Otherwise, I have to constantly monitor market and cancel either SL or Target order when one is executed. I know that traders in the USA have this facility with their trading platforms but I am not sure if it can be done here.

Thanks.

If you are confused from the above post, I am referring to the OCO order (One Cancels Other order)....with a condition that execution of one automatically cancels another.

Last edited:

Zerodha

I think you missed the discussion aspect. It's not the trade size i'm referring to. Obviously if you straight forward compare transaction value, you are correct.

I'm referring to how particular person can trade : day trade. i.e. using 5L capital and splitting in 5 trades.

Even with 5L, and 5 trades, Rs. 20 brokerage is expensive and Plan B is cheaper.

But if you do single trade of 5L, then yes Rs. 20 turns out to be cheaper.

What about FNO in Plan B: Is it still Rs. 20 or is it on %age terms only.
Yep, fno in plan B is Rs 20/executed order only...

Based on a person's trading style he can opt for any of the plans, a lot of our clients have order size of atleast Rs 5lks in equity( makes so much more sense to be on plan A) also a lot of clients have order size of around 10k(makes more sense to be on plan B)....

Zerodha

Hi sachin

The above post is very confusing , to him you have told that you will not give overnight margins for futures postions against stocks and he has to bring in cash for that and also pay the MTM

To me you have written that i can short 25 lack worth of nifty against 25 lack worth of RIL/ONGC and i just need to arrange for a the negative MTM
in cash so that my position is not squared off by you ( that is your reply in Email sent to me )

To my query in this thread you told me that if i hold RIL / ONGC i can not just hold nifty futures but also hold the position even if i am in Loss till certain amount if i have reliance in my DMmat ( which was 4-5 lack if i remember correctly )

When we cannot take a position its not possible to open an account i am just about to reach back home in few days as i am travelling i was just about to apply for an account

Reliagre charges me .005 with 1 lack advance brok which i had negotitated to 75 000 rs P A but i have complete peace of my mind there i am not sure if i take a postion at ZERODHA will it not be auto squared off as every week you guys have a diffrent take on margins KINDLY SOLVE THIS ISSUE FOR ONCE

If exchange say you need to have 2:1 ratio of stocks and cash then why is every broker giving margin against stocks are the blatantly breaking the rules

Mayank
Hi Mayank,

You were talking about arbitrage positions, whereas the other person was talking about taking directional trades... When someone is talking about directional trades, he could loose the money in no time....

The thing is a lot of brokers today want's the client to take the highest leverage because that is the only way they can make money in the whole atmosphere of falling brokerages... 0.05% brokerage has come down to 0.02%, so now the brokers typically will give you 2.5 times leverage so technically they are still making 0.05% from the client...

Ratio of cash to stocks rule is blatantly broken by a lot of brokers...The ones who follow the rules in the right sense are your icici's and hdfc's ... A client can't just have stocks and no cash and still trade in f&o...

I will speak to you personally once you are back and we will plan something that will best suit your need without us having to compromise on any of our company rules...So do leave your number on india@zerodha whenever you are in the country...

Cheers...

Zerodha

Hi ZO,

I am currently trading with you. When a trade is executed, I also place my target order and SL order. So, I have a total of 2 orders placed for any trade. Is it possible in NSE NOW that if target order is executed, then SL order gets canceled automatically or vice versa? Otherwise, I have to constantly monitor market and cancel either SL or Target order when one is executed. I know that traders in the USA have this facility with their trading platforms but I am not sure if it can be done here.

Thanks.

If you are confused from the above post, I am referring to the OCO order (One Cancels Other order)....with a condition that execution of one automatically cancels another.
Hi Amit,

Unfortunately the exchanges in India don't allow OCO orders...Not available with any of the trading platforms in the country... It is a little painful, but our exchanges are growing technologically and hopefully soon they will introduce the ability to support these kind of features... Cheers..

Hi Mayank,

You were talking about arbitrage positions, whereas the other person was talking about taking directional trades... When someone is talking about directional trades, he could loose the money in no time...
Rgarding with above explainantion.........

In My scenario...........having 500 RELIANCE in my a/c

What will b my position.........hedging purpose
Means
1) How many Nifty Lots i can sell.............Intraday?
2) How many i can carry for ...................Overnight?

What will b the amount to receive margin call...(to pay m2m)..?

Plz clarify

Thanks in advance.

absolute.zero

Hi Zerodha

Few weeks ago, you told about a new version of NOW. Is that launched? And, what about charting / data feed ?

lvgandhi

ILFS will start sending you physical bills and you can make the payment online... You can also make the payment in advance for a year and this way you will not have to worry about the amc bills...

We will send you the different modes of making payment to your email address soon...

Cheers..
We are abroad. We also would like to know the bill details and how to pay. Please mail us also.

I just noticed that Ledger balance data from March, 2011 and earlier is not available in backoffice. Is it some kind of technical issue or data for 2010 fiscal year has been removed? :\

hi Zerodha,

thanks for sending me the opening kit promptly...:clapping:

after going through so many pages of this thread, i'm still ignorant about some aspects....:p

Please clarify.....:sos:

1.Only one cheque leaf is required, and that should be of an amount of Rs 600/- drawn in the name of ZERODHA. (u require cancelled blank cheque too???:confused:)

2. No seperate cheque is required for IL&FS/ no additional money to be paid... (i want to open a demat a/c too)

3. do u require seperate document proof for opening IL&FS a/c ?

(other than 2 copies of Pan card,2 copies of Ad proof which is to be attached with the ZERODHA form?)

thanks in advance....

Status
Not open for further replies.