How to choose the right software for trading

ash.paul

If you want your tests to provide accurate results the most important input will be accurate data. Hence highest quality of data will be my recommendation.

About AB, I hope you know C/C++/C# pretty well, if you have to write a backtest yourself.
generally,
AB - C/C++
ESignal - JavaScript
Neoticker - Delphi/Delphiscript
Tradecision - Pascal/Delphi
Tradestation - English
TradersStudio - VB

This is just a general indication to help you. If you are proficient in any major prog lang .Net, Delphi, C, most of them provide facilities to write DLL and link them.
Oh God! My programming skills are zero and neither do I know any languages.. I never knew I have to have this skill, So am I the only idiot because you never mentioned about programming skills before choosing the right software in this thread anyway I am so disappointed of myself but still how long do u think will it take to learn any of these languages first??
Abt esignal u said it uses javascript so will it be very difficult for a person like me to use it??
Thanks a million BAV once again for enlightning me

beginner_av

Hey ash, we were not born with prog lang syntax preprogrammed in our brains. Just learn one language thoroughly. Before that read the books by Knuth on algo design, and my personal reco is a must read - Code Complete.

If you need any specific help, do write to CreditViolet. You will get it all.

ash.paul

Thanks for motivating me, i really needed that. And will get on with C,C++.Will these languages help me anywhere else apart from backtesting in terms of trading??
Cheers BAV

U

uasish

Thanks for motivating me, i really needed that. And will get on with C,C++.Will these languages help me anywhere else apart from backtesting in terms of trading??
Cheers BAV
Suppose you want the s/w to screen all stocks where the Range is decreasing along with low volumes how would that specific custom requirement be fullfiled,either we have some basic understanding of the prog. Lang that the s/w understands or we pay to a professional code writer.

The best way to learn the code lang is to go thru each line of any code (written by others).Now a days most people have a basic idea of C++ & most of these s/w are very user friendly.

Going thru your posts & Abhijeet's able guidance for last few days ; i am confident you can definetly make it.An efficient code writer is never a pre-condition for being a successful Trader.You can always Buy it.

Jesse is extremely proficient in Language Also; there are many other having good workable knowledge,this thread initiator is one of them.

beginner_av

Will these languages help me anywhere else apart from backtesting in terms of trading??
Cheers BAV
I have a very specific reply. "Depends on you". You can use them to write:
Custom backtest
Custom indicators
Custom screens
Custom charts (at least in AB).
Custom indices
etc etc.

skarpio

About AB, I hope you know C/C++/C# pretty well, if you have to write a backtest yourself.
[...]
AB exposes COM interfaces or I gathered. Correct me if I am wrong.

As a sidenote, anyone who exposes a COM interface, allows you to write code in any conceivable language on the Windows platform. COM is just a way of letting binaries (machine code) created from different high-level languages talk between themselves. The reason I say this -- C++, C might not be the ideal first languages to learn. Try VB or even C# (pronounced C-sharp).

Last edited:

As a sidenote, anyone who exposes a COM interface, allows you to write code in any conceivable language on the Windows platform. COM is just a way of letting binaries (machine code) created from different high-level languages talk between themselves. The reason I say this -- C++, C might not be the ideal first languages to learn. Try VB or even C# (pronounced C-sharp).
Yes, u are right. Once a dll is registered, it can be used with Ami.

beginner_av

When you learn the syntax of C, you can anyway use the AFL smoothly (as it is very similar). To use COM, it is just not enough to learn the basic syntax. Moreover in general terms other than DLL creation, there are communication, feedback and optimization issues.
Again all software do not expose all objects (methods/properties) through the COM interface. E.g Tradecision that charges a bomb does not even expose Name property of any instrument. SO you cant check/set Object.Name = 'MSFT'

skarpio

When you learn the syntax of C, you can anyway use the AFL smoothly (as it is very similar). To use COM, it is just not enough to learn the basic syntax. Moreover in general terms other than DLL creation, there are communication, feedback and optimization issues.
Again all software do not expose all objects (methods/properties) through the COM interface. E.g Tradecision that charges a bomb does not even expose Name property of any instrument. SO you cant check/set Object.Name = 'MSFT'
Two things:
* I should have made it clear I was talking in the context of Ami *only*
* There are wizards available that create COM interfaces -- so that is mostly taken care of.

Again, most non-functional programming languages have a similar construct. So, there isn't much, you gain by learning C. Of course, C is neat and small. Unfortunately, I have seen only so few people picking up C, and fewer C++ that I am reluctant to propose this as a first language. YMMV.

Other than that this last post of yours was a little unclear to me as to what exactly you are trying to say. A bit of clarity will be of immense help.