Shares Accounting Software for Tax and Portfolio Management

Hi rusk,
Thanks for the beautiful software. I followed the instruction and successfully configured all the parameters which you had mentioned in your guide which was very easy to follow. I am a futures trader and I trade in Reliance money. Can I load the contract note of futures trades to your software. If yes how?.
It is a wonderful software and thank you for this.
gvnarendra
Contract Notes are on my radar but may take a while before I get there.

Regards
Rusk

Dear Rusksir,
I just downloaded the software its nice but can't use it as i m using hdfcsec and indiainfoline account can u tell me how can i input the data of the brokers i m trading with.

How to User Configuration:
You can use the Codesetup table in the Portfolio database to configure the following:

BrokerCode: These represent the brokers you maybe dealing with. Here also, you can add as many BorkerCodes as you want. Its just a configuration.

AccountHolder: Feel free to setup as many AccountHolders and assign a sort order to them. This bit represents the Portfolio owner.

i cannot find it how to create account holder n broker code

wat exactly do u need so that i can upload my files
Hope to hear soon
regards
For your convenience, here is the explanation to the code setup. In order to get started, you only need your data in a supported excel format.

Codesetup table is in the portfolio.mdb file, which is the database of the application. At the moment, due to limited time, I have not release a UI for managing this table, but you could simply open the table by opening the Access database file and editing the contents of the Codesetup table. Please see the example below that explains how to use and setup values in this table.

The Codes defined for each CodeSet are the values you will see in the Upload Data Tab on the application. To explain this theory, here's an example.

Lets say you would like to manage Portfolios of
1. Mr. Sam Petro
2. Mrs. Sumi Perto
3. Mr. Charles Drum
4. Mrs. Lynn Drum

These 4 individuals deal with the following brokers:
1. Sharekhan
2. ICICIDirect
3. 5Paisa
4. Motilal
5. Reliance
6. Raligare

It is possible that Mr. Sam only deals with Sharekhan whereas Mrs. Sumi deals with all 6 of them, while Mrs. Lynn only works with Reliance and Raligare.

In any case, you should configure all the 4 AccountOwners and the 6 brokers that they are dealing with in the Codesetup as follows :

CodeSet Code Description Sort Order
AccountOwner SAMPETRO Mr. Sam Petro 1
AccountOwner SUMIPETRO Mrs. Sumi Perto 2
AccountOwner Charles Drum Mr. Charles Drum 3
AccountOwner Lynn Drum Mrs. Lynn Drum 4

Similarly, configure the Brokers in the following manner:

CodeSet Code Description Sort Order
BrokerCode Sharekhan Sharekhan 1
BrokerCode ICICDIRECT ICICDIRECT 2
BrokerCode 5Paisa 5Paisa 3
BrokerCode Motilal Motilal 4
BrokerCode Reliance Reliance 5
BrokerCode Raligare Raligare 6

Once you have setup these values in the CodeSetup table you will see them in the Upload Data page.

Regards
Rusk

Dear Rusk

I have tried below mentioned steps successfully. However, I still have error of HTTP status 500 in Firefox and HTTP status 404 in IE8

Looks like something is not setup corretcly. Here's the checklist to be verified:

1. Have you Installed Tomcat 5.5 ? (If not please instal it, Refer Release Notes for how to do that)

2. Is it running as a service ? (if it is not, then please right click on the Tomcat icon in the system tray and Start the service)

3. Type this URL in a browser to verify if Tomcat is running . http://localhost:8080/

If it is running then you will see a Apache Server Foundation Page with the following message:

"If you're seeing this page via a web browser, it means you've setup Tomcat successfully. Congratulations!"

4. Have you created a DSN with the Name as Portfolio ? (If not, please create it as per steps explained in release notes)

5. Is the DSN pointing to the Portfolio.mdb file ? (if not, then change the DSN to point to the correct file)

6. Have you copied the .war file in the webapps folder of Tomcat ? (If not, then please copy the file in the path as explained in the release notes)

Hope your issue stems from one of the points mentioned above. If you are still unable to get it to work, then we can get to the next level of troubleshooting.

Hi Rusk

I have tried below mentioned steps successfully. However I am still facing problem of Error http status 500 in Firefox and Erro Http status 404 in IE 8

Ritesh
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like something is not setup corretcly. Here's the checklist to be verified:

1. Have you Installed Tomcat 5.5 ? (If not please instal it, Refer Release Notes for how to do that)

2. Is it running as a service ? (if it is not, then please right click on the Tomcat icon in the system tray and Start the service)

3. Type this URL in a browser to verify if Tomcat is running . http://localhost:8080/

If it is running then you will see a Apache Server Foundation Page with the following message:

"If you're seeing this page via a web browser, it means you've setup Tomcat successfully. Congratulations!"

4. Have you created a DSN with the Name as Portfolio ? (If not, please create it as per steps explained in release notes)

5. Is the DSN pointing to the Portfolio.mdb file ? (if not, then change the DSN to point to the correct file)

6. Have you copied the .war file in the webapps folder of Tomcat ? (If not, then please copy the file in the path as explained in the release notes)

Hope your issue stems from one of the points mentioned above. If you are still unable to get it to work, then we can get to the next level of troubleshooting.

Sir i did the code setup but only the effect comes in the upload data field and no other place the name of the account holder is changed sir your software is only helpfull for icici/sharekhan demat holders only and rest cannot do anythin with the software how to manually do data entry in ur software do guide us and other new users to your software or its useless for other demat account holder and only good for demat holders with icici / sharekhan sir pls see it can be used with all brokers

hope to hear soon
regards

Hi Rusk

I have tried below mentioned steps successfully. However I am still facing problem of Error http status 500 in Firefox and Erro Http status 404 in IE 8

Ritesh
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I 've posted an updated version of the Portfolio.war (see http://sites.google.com/site/ruskportfolio/ProductFiles).

Please could you deploy the new Application file and let me know if you are still getting errors.

Regards
Rusk

Sir i did the code setup but only the effect comes in the upload data field and no other place the name of the account holder is changed sir your software is only helpfull for icici/sharekhan demat holders only and rest cannot do anythin with the software how to manually do data entry in ur software do guide us and other new users to your software or its useless for other demat account holder and only good for demat holders with icici / sharekhan sir pls see it can be used with all brokers

hope to hear soon
regards
The basic idea behind creating this product was to eliminate manual data entry and replace the data entry job with file import. The product supports file formats defined by ICICI and Sharekhan at the moment. The sample data.xls is follows ICICI's format and is pretty simple. You could save your data in the sample data and import that file.. Again that would save you a lot of manual work.

The product is designed to record trading transactions from any broker in the most efficient and simple manner.

As for the changes in Code Setup, the will only appear on in the File Upload, since the values configured by you haven't been used to import data. All other reports extract trade the data that is recorded based on your transactions. Therefore, you will be able see your values as soon as you have uploaded your own data with your values.

Hope that helps.

Regards
Rusk

I 've posted an updated version of the Portfolio.war (see http://sites.google.com/site/ruskportfolio/ProductFiles).

Please could you deploy the new Application file and let me know if you are still getting errors.

Regards
Rusk
Hi rusk,
I have downloaded and pasted the new Portfolio.war file from the link you have provided but when i tried to open it in browser it is giving errors saying the link appears to be broken. What may be the reason? Thank you.
gvnarendra

Hi rusk,
I have downloaded and pasted the new Portfolio.war file from the link you have provided but when i tried to open it in browser it is giving errors saying the link appears to be broken. What may be the reason? Thank you.
gvnarendra
Lets just make sure you redeployed the application correctly. This is sequence in which you need to redeploy. If you doubt that you might have missed any of the steps then please could you execute these steps once again and let me know if your problem persists.

1. Stop Tomcat Service (use system tray icon - select Stop)
2. Delete Porfolio.war AND Portfolio folder from the webapps folder of Tomcat 5.5 (in Program Files)
3. Copy the New Portfolio.war in the webapps folder.
4. Start the Tomcat Server ( (use system tray icon - select Start)
5. Verify if a Portfolio Folder gets automatically created in the Webapps, as soon as the Tomcat server is started.
6. Verify if Tomcat is running. (By using http://localhost:8080)
7. Open the application. (http://localhost:8080/Portfolio)

Hope this helps
Rusk

Dear Rusk,

Thank u for your reply but where can i get sample data.Xls format from to import the file
can u upload me the sample excel file hope to hear soon

regards